I think my OEM Radeon 9800 Pro is dying - can I still RMA it?

Fum

n00b
I bought an OEM SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO from NewEgg a few months ago, and everything's had been great until a few weeks ago, when I started noticing odd colored rectangular patterns on random textures in games, and sometimes if I played longer I would get triangular shapes of color cutting through the screen, or flashing groups of pixels. Now if I leave the computer running for too long I'll start to get small but noticeable bars of colors in my 2d apps (like IE right now). I know these are common symptoms of overheating, but I have nothing overclocked in my computer, four case fans, an open side panel and fine airflow around the video card. I've recently cleaned all the dust out, too. So the only thing I can think of is the card is dying, because it shouldn't be overheating under these conditions (the case temp never get above 35C even on the hottest days). Problem is, I don't know if I can RMA an OEM card, and since I don't feel like taking the hassle to call ATI, I figured I'd just ask you guys. Maybe you can give some input as to what is happening with the card, also?

Thanks allot,
Fum

Hey, most cases have better air flow when the case is closed. Also, is the 9800's heatsink hot to the touch? You could also remove the heatsink, clean it, and re apply some arctic silver to it.

My test for detecting hardware failure is always "Does it do the same thing in Linux". Download an Knoppix ISO and see if it does the same thing.

I'm not sure if you can RMA an OEM card, but you could try doing ATI's trade-up program and get yourself a nice 9800 AWI or XT (or maybe even an X800 ;) ). This method is less then ethical, but to go Fries or Best Buy and buy a Radeon 9800 Pro (same model) stick that in your computer, stick the broken one in the box and take it back and say it didn't work (I did it when my 7500 died a few years back) but I would not recomend doing this unless you had no other option. I think it's somewhat less the legal as well.

I've tried it with the case panel on and off, still overheating. And the heatsink gets extremely hot to the touch, so I'm pretty certain it's attached properly. Interesting way to confirm hardware failures, I may try that.

That would be a pretty clever trick, too bad I believe in karma when it comes to computers. I know something would fuck up real bad later on if I did that.

Anyone else know if I can RMA this thing? I'm almost definitely just going to order a Geforce 6800 nu (eVGA, I'm thinking) later today, but I still want to know if I might be able to replace this card so I can sell the replacement on eBay and get some money back.

Sounds like a classic case of overheating to me.

NewEgg is really good about returns if the hardware is defective, just give them a call and ask. Can't hurt.

this might be a dumb thought, but did you check if the fan on the heatsink is running ok?? because if the sink is doing its job and gets hot then chances are the fan is not venting it. like i said just a thought

realrussian, yeah I've thought of that, but I have no way to know if the fan is working properly, besides just knowing that it spins. I have it on a clear power line from the PSU, so if the fan is not spinning up to speed, it's the card's (or the fan's) fault.

Cleric, good idea, I'll email NewEgg and see what they say.

On OEM parts, Newegg only replaces after a short period of time (their 30-day satisfaction guarantee). They also have an extended warranty program, but I doubt you got that. Therefore you have to contact the manufacturer directly, and OEM parts typically have a 1-year warranty.

Maxx said:
On OEM parts, Newegg only replaces after a short period of time (their 30-day satisfaction guarantee). They also have an extended warranty program, but I doubt you got that. Therefore you have to contact the manufacturer directly, and OEM parts typically have a 1-year warranty.

Thanks, I've ordered a MSI Geforce 6800 (nu) from Newegg and it should come in monday, so once I get this dying card out I'll email Sapphire (that's who you mean by manufacture, right?) with all the details and see what's up.

Fum said:
Thanks, I've ordered a MSI Geforce 6800 (nu) from Newegg and it should come in monday, so once I get this dying card out I'll email Sapphire (that's who you mean by manufacture, right?) with all the details and see what's up.

Yep. :D

Back