I think my local Apple store is hurting MacBook sales

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
I was at the mall this afternoon and wandered into the Apple store to check out the retina display on the MacBooks Pros.

At first I was just plain irritated with the touch pad. I had to press way too hard to get it to do anything. My iPhone just does what I tell it, but with the MBP it was more of a clunk clank clunk experience pressing down on the touchpad until it moved.

Fortunately I'm not a blockhead and figured Appple wouldn't sell a machine that clunked every time you wanted it to do something, so I poked around and figured out how to switch it from clunk mode to tap mode or whatever the hell they call it. Much better!

I left it in whatever the alternative to clunk mode is. I figure I did them a favor. It feels almost as good as my iPhone or the iPads they were using to display prices and specs.

Yes, I'm not sure why tap-clicking is disabled by default.

When I got my rMBP, I actually thought the trackpad was broken because tapping didn't work and I was oblivious to the fact that the bottom of it could be pressed into.

9 - and yea I know some that liked to click when there was a seperate button, they now tap too.

Wow, OP. You sure are a rebel. Does your mom know what you've been getting up to?

I used to jailbreak the display iPhones and iPads when the current jailbreak was simply visiting a website and pressing a button. Does that count?

You guys like the clunky clicking? Tap to click is the best. Once you get used to it, the whole process is so much more precise and efficient.

You guys like the clunky clicking? Tap to click is the best. Once you get used to it, the whole process is so much more precise and efficient.

i use tap to click on my cr-48's, because the track pad is shit tastic.

on my macbook pro, the track pad is terrific(just like the magic trackpad i have at work) I use the clicky click mode on those.

People like me like force feedback. I don't like touching my finger to the touch-pad and then deciding not to move it and having it click when I didn't really press down.

For me, that is more precise and efficient. I think it's also easier to click and drag which I do a lot with a real click button.

I never new this was an option! Thanks for educating me on this today. I switched it out. I mean I already use it on my iPhone and iPad.

People like me like force feedback. I don't like touching my finger to the touch-pad and then deciding not to move it and having it click when I didn't really press down.

For me, that is more precise and efficient. I think it's also easier to click and drag which I do a lot with a real click button.

Basically this. Tactile feedback (or analog if you will) is much better than accidentally clicking (or worse, dragging) on things all of the time.

Still, Apple offers it as an option, so obviously some people prefer it, but generally as you can see (if this thread is remotely scientific,) most prefer it to be off.

I hate tap to click. Always have. Mostly because when I am typing my palm right below my thumbs always hit the pad. When you are typing an entire report going 80wpm looking at the keys then look up to see your progress find out that it is all a jumbled mess because you kept hitting the trackpad, you change your ways.

I actually have a very hard time using the "button-click" on my MBP, when I try to push the button down, the mouse moves, and if it's a small icon, I often move off of it or end up dragging it. dont have this problem using tap-to-click (actually prefer it) but using the initial "button click" mode drove me crazy because the cursor would move when I pushed down on the button...

Back