I think my internet provider is trying to kill my router!!

x1600c

Limp Gawd
I believe my ISP RoadRunner is trying to kill my network. ie... whenever I have my system channeled through a router after a while I start to get what seems to be ping timouts, for example I would start a download and after a while the download would stop (no information being transfered) but It would still give me a bandwith reading. and when trying to load a website with a large amount of data ( pictures ) it would stop loading but it would still show the transfer speed. how do I remedy this, This happens on 3 different computers (athlon 64, 2 pentium 4s) I've also tried several different routers, and invariably the same thing happens. HELP ME!!!!!!!

OK so it sounds like the ISP discouvered that your not to be on. I know for some high speed places they require the MAC address of the computer or in the case the router. So if your ISP needs the MAC address this might account for the drop in the service but if they dont require it then im not sure what could be wrong.

Frontline said:
OK so it sounds like the ISP discouvered that your not to be on. I know for some high speed places they require the MAC address of the computer or in the case the router. So if your ISP needs the MAC address this might account for the drop in the service but if they dont require it then im not sure what could be wrong.
I'm not sure but if it's like my ISP, they require only the MAC of the Cable modem I'm using not any of the routers or NICs.

x1600c, have you tried contacting your ISP and talking to them about the problem?

no thier tech support sucks and I thought I would get a faster solution here than dealing with those fools

x1600c said:
no thier tech support sucks and I thought I would get a faster solution here than dealing with those fools
Likely not, although you're more apt to get help here than with tech support.

True story: Each and every time I called SBC, I ended up fixing the problem myself.

Regardless, this does sound like you will be needing some data from them. At the very least, do they allow multiple connections behind a router? Most of the time they will tell you it's "Not supported", which is code for "Yeah, but don't complain to us when it borks".

So, find out from the ISP what the deal is, then get to work troubleshooting the problem. My guess is flaky router.

XOR != OR said:
. My guess is flaky router.

I believe they say its not supported but would they try to stop me from doing it by screwing up my connection when they detect the router?

as for the flaly router I've tried 4 and the same problem happens

Well, go into your router setup, There should be an option to clone or input a MAC address. Input the MAC address from the router into that text box, and see how it works. If it does, then they are controlling access by MAC. I had roadrunner when I lived in Queens, NY...and I had no problems running 4 machines at the same time on my router and cable modem. Where you live the case may be different.

x1600c said:
I believe they say its not supported but would they try to stop me from doing it by screwing up my connection when they detect the router?

as for the flaly router I've tried 4 and the same problem happens
Does your ISP specifically say that you cannot have a router on their network? If not then I would say they have no reason to try and stop you from using it. Usually it just means if you have a problem w/ the router they will not support/help you fix any problem relating to the router.

DVAmon said:
Well, go into your router setup, There should be an option to clone or input a MAC address. Input the MAC address from the router into that text box, and see how it works. If it does, then they are controlling access by MAC. I had roadrunner when I lived in Queens, NY...and I had no problems running 4 machines at the same time on my router and cable modem. Where you live the case may be different.
Good call, I forgot about that cause its not needed with my ISP but some do use them.

It is WAY too much work for an ISP to go through to make a flaky connection. They would simply cut your access.

Perhaps the internet port on your router is crapping out. My Netgear blew out and took the cable modem Nic with it. I had the cable modem replaced and I bought an upgraded router....it was weird. Never saw that happen before...

Back