I think my hard drive is dead. Tips before i RMA it

AsthmaAttack

Limp Gawd
Recently, one of my two HDs stop getting detected. I've tried replacing cables, checking connections, resetting bios, etc. My bios doesn't detect a HD in the port its plugged into, but lags a bit when its checking in comparison to the empty ports.
Also, my MOBO has a single beep every 15 seconds or so.

Mobo: IP35 Pro
HDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM (Raid 0)
hd link: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16822148140

Anyone have a similar problem or have a solution?

bleh.

Do you have a copy of the SeaTools Diagnostic CD (which comes with each retail kit)? If not, you could download a copy from Seagate's website and use it to see whether or not the drives are recognized.

If that doesn't help, then it's probably time for an RMA.

Do you have a copy of the SeaTools Diagnostic CD (which comes with each retail kit)? If not, you could download a copy from Seagate's website and use it to see whether or not the drives are recognized.

If that doesn't help, then it's probably time for an RMA.

Yeah... I downloaded it. It doesn't detect the hard drive when i'm running diagnostic either. Forgot to mention I get the "port reset error!!" message under the port Its connected to when booting.

crap. and anyone know what I should send the HD back in? The original packaging was huge (multiple items) and i threw the electrostatic bag away...

crap. and anyone know what I should send the HD back in? The original packaging was huge (multiple items) and i threw the electrostatic bag away...

Crap... you needed all of the original packaging for a proper RMA.

At the very least, you need to find a new electrostatic bag (preferably unused) for the hard drive. But contact Seagate Customer Service to see what they have to say.

only when the HD is connected i get the beep. I'm almost certain its the HD, but i'm half expecting newegg to send the HD back to me with a note saying you're stupid. lol.

I swapped the cables between hd1 and hd2- its not the cables... Can't be a driver problem because its in bios. I'm sad. Need a miracle solution.

At the very least, you need to find a new electrostatic bag (preferably unused) for the hard drive. But contact Seagate Customer Service to see what they have to say.

the RMA is to newegg. I hear they're pretty nice about it, although I've never had to file a RMA with newegg before. I filed my RMA /w Newegg yesterday (day 30- perfect timing)

only when the HD is connected. I'm almost certain its the HD, but i'm half expecting newegg to send the HD back to me with a note saying you're stupid. lol.

I swapped the cables between hd1 and hd2- its not the cables... Can't be a driver problem because its in bios. I'm sad. Need a miracle solution.

Have you tried using the drive on a different port that definitely works, it isnt clear from previous posts if you have.

If you have, dont worry, its pretty conclusively bad.
The only other test is to try it in another machine but I dont like the sound of it making the motherboard beep, I rarely come across that from a hard drive.
Best just send it back.

raid 0 is great for your OS.... just dont keep all your stuff on there...
I have raid5 for my data, but i still back it up to dvd regularly and database all my backup... its long tiring work, but i've screammed more than a few times at the loss of personal work and massive chunks of data...:eek:

I had that same drive die on me too (the PATA version, though). But my problem, from what I could tell from the noise) was the head grinding against the platter. I took it out, let it sit for a day, and than ran it upside down. Was able to keep the drive working for the few hours it took to transfer all of my data off of it.

You don't need the original packaging if this were a RMA to the manufacturer instead of Newegg. Some manufacturers have specific instructions on how to package the drive, this is usually included or linked in the RMA confirmation e-mail. They usually specify no foam peanuts, but bubble wrap and foam chunks are usually ok.

well i have an electrostatic bag for the HD, Any ideas what type of box I should send it in? And foam chunks?

Newegg Rma basically told me as long as it doesn't get damaged in the mail.

Back