I think my computer is slowly dying - not sure which part.. help?

rlee

Gawd
specs in my sig.

So I've been having issues with my computer for the past few months. I get random freezes a few times a week, but I just live with it.

However today, I thought my computer was completely done. After a few consecutive freezes (freeze after booting into windows), my computer would not boot into windows. Sometimes it would post (1 short beep), but stay on the initial mobo screen, but it gets stuck there. sometimes no beeps, screen remains black no video signal. then a few times i would get 1 long beep (or 2 quick short beeps, not sure exactly which one), screen black no video signal.

after about 10-15 times rebooting with the above behavior, eventually I was able to boot back into windows and I've been using it for about 15 minutes now without issues...

any ideas where the issue is based on the behavior above? :confused::confused:

Is this the system in your sig?

I would reset to stock clocks, and run memtest86+ from a usb/cd. It's most likely your ram, cpu, psu or possibly the 460GTX. However my intial bet would be the ram. Run 1-2 passes of memtest to see if your ram is okay. We can work from there.

you can do memtest for the RAM, and SMART self-tests for the hdd.

I wish knew of something for the CPU. One that would compute int and FP ALU functions, and compare it to predetermined answers for accuracy. (although the concept of testing something that is broken with itself does sound like it might not work, lol. but could be handed to the GPU to compare)

oops i forgot to mention i'm running stock speeds and i've ran memtest for the ram already, they all passed. though i didn't run it for like days. i just ran it for like 24 hours. i've also gone down to 2 sticks of ram just incase.

it's so hard to troubleshoot because i can't reproduce it on the spot. i have my suspicion in my vid card as well, but not sure how to test without another vid card. it was a replacement card from evga

a)Update the firmware for your ssd
b)Raise MC (Memory Controller) voltage..Don't quote me on this ..but I think it may be "fsb termination"
If it hangs in the BIOS..most likely it's hdd/ssd related.

Last edited:
found the issue... appears to be my video card... i borrowed an old video card and swapped it out. haven't had issues since. RMA'ed the sucker.

Back