I think my ancient mobo is dead. Options to get the data off the drives

Augster

Weaksauce
Hello,

I had fired up my ancient MSI K7N2 Delta with Windows XP on it. Everything is IDE. When I powered it on, I smelled something burning, then when I opened it up to see what was what I saw a HUGE spark in the power supply and that was that.

I went to Microcenter and picked up a new power supply, but I can't get the board to fire up or post again. Occasionally, I can get the fans on the HSF to start whirling, but only if I hold in the power button. And there is still the burning smell. So I am guessing my mobo is shot also.

I have a lot of things on the hard drives that I haven't backed up that I'd like to extract if at all possible and hoping they are still good. They are IDE drives. What are my options?

I'd like to re-use the hardware for a dedicated recording computer, but finding a "new" ancient mobo that will use the socket A processor and RAM seems like an exercise in futility.

I'd really like to get the information off of the drives. That is my first priority. Second priority would be to reuse the hardware, CPU, drives, RAM, AGP card, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would say the best bet is to get one of those USB adapters that you can plug your drives into from Microcenter. I think they are like $20-30. You can then use them on another computer as if they were external drives.

hit up the freebies thread

I bet somebody will hook you up with a 462 mobo

this it? make him an offer of like $30+ship. it's definitely not worth more than that. that will let you keep your xp and programs and everything as theyre currently installed. you might have to call microsoft to get your key activated on the new mobo though depending on what type of key it was.

if you dont like that idea, or he wont accept a reasonable offer, then id say just build a new comp. i got an E6700, p35 mobo, and 2GB ram for $65 shipped a couple weeks ago. you should be able to get something much better than what you have for under $100 if you post a thread looking for a comobo in FS/Ft. tons of people are looking to unload their outdated hardware for cheap these days since everyone is broke. :) most motherboards pre-core processors (and some after) have IDE connectors so you can just pull your data off the old drive.

finally, you can just use something like this to plug your drive into a new computer without IDE or to your laptop or whatever to grab the files. those are all the options i can think of.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have another desktop computer? If you do, chances are it still has at least one IDE connector. Just plug your hard drive into that one, and you can copy the data over (just don't boot into the windows install on that hard drive).

Thanks very much for the ideas! You guys are the best.

I didn't see that IDE-SATA connector wire you linked to before. Also, I almost have that same MS-6570, but I didn't have the -L. I may have to make an offer.

I've never seen the freebies area. I guess I don't look around enough. LOL! I'll take a look. Thanks for the suggestions!

Do you have another desktop computer? If you do, chances are it still has at least one IDE connector. Just plug your hard drive into that one, and you can copy the data over (just don't boot into the windows install on that hard drive).

The only other desktop I have is my I7 I built last year with all SATA. I may have to see if any of my friends have older desktops lying around but most are either laptops or newer gaming rigs.

There are IDE (PATA) controllers, most which are for PCI slots, and the $5-10 from Ebay are fine. They include old Promise cards, cards based on the Silicon Image SiL680A chip, and combination PATA/SATA cards based on the VIA VT6421A chip (avoid VT6421 and VT6421L).

PATA-SATA converter cards vary in compatibility, but apparently the ones based on a Jmicron chip are fine, like this $5 one:

http://www.meritline.com/ide-to-sata-or-sata-to-ide-adapter---p-36542.aspx

Be careful not to plug it in wrong (PATA connector body is small enough to fit backwards, despite being keyed) or choose the wrong SATA connector (badly labeled -- SATA controller goes to the SATA connector closest to the white power connector).

Really irks me when people refer to PATA drives as IDE.

Your best solution is to just get a PATA to SATA/USB/eSATA adapter and plug the drives into a modern PC. Hopefully the PSU didn't take it out as well.

I bought a USB adapter for the older drives, and for that matter SATA drives, to run to my new computer. Hopefully that will work to get the data off.

A little off the OT but, assuming all the hardware is still good besides the mobo, is there anywhere to buy "new" old mobo's that use Socket A etc? How would I look for a mobo from yesteryear that was top of the line to hopefully find for very low cost now? Any ideas? Also, if I re-use the hard drives in a new mobo build, I am assuming I'll have to wipe them and start over. Just plugging an XP drive into a new mobo is going to cause all kinds of trouble isn't it?

Thanks for the help!

some computer recycling places near you may have something for really cheap, but really those parts are worth about $20 and not worth the work to salvage. just look for a new cpu/mobo/ram combo somewhere for $50-100 and youll be much happier. and yes you will need to wipe your hdd, especially with older hardware, or you will get driver and software issues.

where do you live?

Minneapolis.

If I could, I'd like to make the old computer a dedicated music recording computer. That's what I used it for primarily before it sparked out. With my current i7 setup, I "can" do sound recording, but I primarily make home movie blu-rays with that one. It makes it simpler for me to keep the video editor and the audio editor/tracking separate. And since it'll be sitting most of the time powered off, as I don't record anything all that often, I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

Hello,

I had fired up my ancient MSI K7N2 Delta with Windows XP on it. Everything is IDE. When I powered it on, I smelled something burning, then when I opened it up to see what was what I saw a HUGE spark in the power supply and that was that.

I went to Microcenter and picked up a new power supply, but I can't get the board to fire up or post again. Occasionally, I can get the fans on the HSF to start whirling, but only if I hold in the power button. And there is still the burning smell. So I am guessing my mobo is shot also.

I have a lot of things on the hard drives that I haven't backed up that I'd like to extract if at all possible and hoping they are still good. They are IDE drives. What are my options?

I'd like to re-use the hardware for a dedicated recording computer, but finding a "new" ancient mobo that will use the socket A processor and RAM seems like an exercise in futility.

I'd really like to get the information off of the drives. That is my first priority. Second priority would be to reuse the hardware, CPU, drives, RAM, AGP card, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

an external drive bay, thermaltake makes some where you simply plug your drive into it and pull the data via usb on another computer, should come with an ide adapter so you can plug an older IDE drive into the unit, check this before buying such a device.

Back