I think my 980 Ti may be going bad. Help please.

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
I was playing The Grim Adventures of Van Helsing and the screen would turn a solid color (white, black, yellow, pink, etc.) just after the intro screens. A small number of times I was able to play for half a minute before it would happen. I have to power the PC off, and back on, in order to recover.

Diablo 3 plays fine. Fallout 4 is also doing right when loading a game.

How else do I verify that it is the card? I am really out of the loop on utilities.

Thanks.

The card is a good starting point for sure. The other culprit could be a bad/aging PSU that can't handle the power load.

Only real way to know for sure is to swap hardware with known good working hardware to see if the problem persists.

I'd do a clean wipe of the drivers, and then reinstall. Then I'd stress test it with Furmark for an hour and see if it crashes.

The card is a good starting point for sure. The other culprit could be a bad/aging PSU that can't handle the power load.

Only real way to know for sure is to swap hardware with known good working hardware to see if the problem persists.
Thanks for the suggestions. The PSU is a Seasonic. 660W (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VV56U8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Swapping hardware is difficult as I would have to buy something locally to try out, just to return afterwards.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd do a clean wipe of the drivers, and then reinstall. Then I'd stress test it with Furmark for an hour and see if it crashes.
I installed the latest Nvidia drivers and chose the clean install option.

After a minute, or two, the screen froze while Fur Mark was running. The PC is unresponsive. The last displayed GPU temperature is 61C and a fan speed of 31%.

Could be the power supply, but I'd bet $2 on something wrong with the video card or maybe the heatsink has worked loose somehow from the GPU. If in warranty, open an RMA. If not, pop the heatsink off, clean up, re-apply some TIM and put it back on (all carefully of course).

If you have another computer you can slap the video card in, try that first.

You don't have a $30 backup video card? For shame.

Also - Diablo 3 will not stress your GPU. Furmark is a good test.

Could be the power supply, but I'd bet $2 on something wrong with the video card or maybe the heatsink has worked loose somehow from the GPU. If in warranty, open an RMA. If not, pop the heatsink off, clean up, re-apply some TIM and put it back on (all carefully of course).

If you have another computer you can slap the video card in, try that first.

You don't have a $30 backup video card? For shame.

Also - Diablo 3 will not stress your GPU. Furmark is a good test.
I had an old 5770 around, but gave it and an old PC to my dad to donate to a less fortunate friend of his. I opened an RMA with Gigabyte.

Back