i think my 460 is dying.

herfalerf

Gawd
i started getting artifacts a month or so ago. it was really only in bf3 and only every once in a while so i ignored it. well its to the point now that i had to downclock the card back to stock clocks (675mhz) just to be able to read the text on the LoL launcher. even then im only getting 50fps in a game i used to get 150fps in. my card is the evga 1gb superclocked EE card so it has a factory overclock of 763mhz. i put in a ticket with evga already and i have a free advanced rma (they send my the new card first :D) so i should get a new card pretty soon, but im a little worried that its not only the graphics card. is it possible to get artifacts due to a failing psu?

If it was a failing PSU, I doubt you'd even get to the point where you'd see any artifacting. Swapping cards was a good choice.

cool beans, thanks for the fast reply. any idea why the performance is so abysmal even at stock clocks? i mean im not getting artifacts anymore.

well i think i may have discovered the root of the problem. i took the card out of the pc and dusted it with my datavac. i dust my computer pretty regularly, but ive never actually taken the card out and directed air into it. some dust came out, i wouldnt call it a ton and not enough to like stop the fan or anything, but the card is doing much better now. it still wont run at 763mhz, but performance was restored at the 675mhz lvls so i can still play all my games while i wait for evga to send me a new one :D

what drivers were you using, did it happen to be the newest beta drivers? if so try going back to the 290.53 or older drivers and see if the artifacting goes away.

if none of the above applies then yeah the card was failing. though its kind of surprising it would fail on LoL given that it barely touches the GPU. maxed out both my 8800GT's never exceed 20% load which is nice since one of my cards is starting to fail but doesn't get enough load in LoL to show the artifacting. but as far as the 50fps in LoL if you have the frame rate smoother/balancer(i can't remember what its called off the top of my head right now) if there are any hiccups at all while playing it will eventually lock it to a lower frame rate, had to turn that off because i alt tab out of the game a lot and it kept locking me at 40fps. once i set it to 60fps i never had an issue with it again.

Last edited:
The older and hotter (usually caused by what you described, evil dust bunnies) my nvidia cards have gotten the more prone to pcb warpage over the years. That combined with the weight of some of the coolers.... I find that a heatsink R&R is a good idea every 6 months to a year to ensure the cooler mantains good contact with its intended hot bits.

The same exact thing happened to my 460 just today. Jaggies and artifacts and then crashes. I suspected the worst but then I cleaned out the dust and everything seems to be back in order.

Back