I think its a trap, Told I could build a new PC.

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
So...

I was told I will be allowed a budget of $1k for a new PC, by the other half with in the next few pay periods.

Now the PCmasterrace in me is extremely giddy, but I have no clue where to start anymore as its been a few years of even thinking about parts.

PC currently:
Viewsonic 24" curved freesync 1080p
i5 9400f with some "aftermarket|" Dark something RGB HSF
16gb Gskill ripjaws 3000
MSI B360 mortar
Sapphire 5700XT
650W EVGA PSU
120GB Kingston SSD
TB WD HD
2TB WD HD
Thermaltake Core V21
Logitech Mouse and Keyboard (Content on Both)

So I love blowing money on PC parts, but im stumped..

Is there a next move, or just buy some PC peripherals? New wheel/pedals/handbrake/shifter.

Im a FPS and racing kinda guy.

COD, BeamNG, Asseto, Insurgency, EFT, CS, Squad, Rfactor.. ETC

$1k is not going to get you a whole system that's significantly better than what you have, but a GPU and monitor upgrade would fit well into that budget. Of course getting your hands on a gpu right now is easier said than done...

indeed, new pedals. and maybe a couple 24" curved monitors? Hotas and become an FPS/Racing/Sim guy?

Yeah, I was kinda thinking my PC is pretty decent for a mid range build..

Im honestly thinking New SSD as OS drive, and maybe a VR head set.

Tho I have been checking out some reviews on some belt driven wheels. (y)

a big NVMe SSD and some peripherals to enhance yr gaming experience does seem like the move. Save the big upgrades for later in 2021 when GPUs are actually purchasable

Yeah, I think the best move is a nice big ssd (sata or nvme, it really won't matter for gaming) and wait to see what shakes out on new GPU's early this year. 2tb can be found in sata for $200ish on deals, while nice nvme ones run about $100 to 120 for a 1tb.

Also maybe just moving up to a 1440p display would be nice for you :). Huge difference from 1080p.

either a trap or she plans on spending that much herself.
not much to upgrade there though...

$1000 isn't enough. Tell her you'll wait till summer and want $1500. That will give you a better upgrade.

Can always upgrade in pieces and move said hardware to a new setup later this year.

1TB NVME SSD upgrade.

3080 if you're able to find one.

Well I grabbed a VR set. Well technically a Samsung Odyssey Plus. Couldnt pass it up for 150 bucks. And Pretty content on how well my PC has handled VR, and the couple games I bought. Pavlov, Beat saber, and bone works.

So I think next is a new SSD / Harddrive Combo.

Last edited:
1TB NVME ~ $110 and a 3080 ~ $800 (when available) would be my choice for $1k
Then sell the 5700XT for a few hundred back and put that in a monitor.

Back