I think it may be impossible for me to reformat my hard drives...

Apathy

Gawd
when my pc crashes or freezes, i restart, it gets to the screen where you can select safe mode or the other couple of options including boot up the pc normally. it is here that my keyboard does not respond, no keyboards i have tried respond here at all. if it wasnt for the 30 second wait until the pc booted in the default selected "normal" mode, i dont think my pc would ever boot into windows.

i have tried to put in the windows dvd and boot up to reformat, but it doesnt allow me to boot from the dvd drive without pressing 'enter'. so i dont think its possible for me to do it this way.

by the way, my keyboard does respond on the initial screen where you can press delete to get into the bios, but no response from keyboard until windows login screen.

i am running vista and the specs in my sig.

any suggestions?

doesnt mention if you've tried a PS2 keyboard , also i see you can get into your bios make sure "Legacy USB is on" , if you don't have usb support that could be it

Interesting problem and something I have never encountered. Have you tried a PS2 keyboard or just USB? Maybe a side affect of some setting you changed in the BIOS, or maybe a BIOS issue that could be fixed with an update? Grasping at straws here to be honest.

Anyway if I were in your shoes I would also be looking for a solution to this problem but at the same time I also wouldn't accept my PC locking up or crashing either. Vista has been a very solid OS for me since I installed it nearly 2 years ago. So to me something is clearly wrong and I suspect it is related your over clocked CPU.

i will check to see if legacy usb support is on, and no i havent tried a ps2 keyboard yet. also havent wanted to update the bios because everything else was working fine and i didnt want to risk screwing that up.

but if all else fails, ill try updatin the bios. honestly, i didnt even think my mobo had ps2 support because they are so high up on the board that my case sorta hangs over them and makes them hard to see. ive also got some strange misconceptions about ps2 and vista.

so ill give you a report back as soon as i get home. thanks for the advice dudes.

Most likely, this will be resolved by enabling legacy support for USB. However, if not, there are other methods and other bootable media that will allow you to wipe your drives, so that when you boot from the Vista disc, it will have no choice but to start the install routine.

Err, what issue with Vista and PS2? My PS2 keyboard works just fine.

Back