I think I'm done with the whole HTPC thing. Other suggestions

Actually that would be 10mb/s ... or 1.25MB/s... video bitrate is always in megabits... if it was 10MB/s you'd see a 72GB file for 2 hours of video :)
Ha! You're right. I was going on about 40 hours with only one very short catnap. Very tired.

@blaze:

Its been asked to before add dvd ripping into XBMC since the early days. They basically said "NO!" because they want to avoid any issues with the DMCA and legal mumbo jumbo.

With it on most platforms now and python available - someone could possibly make a way to integrate a ripping program into xbmc. But it will never be part of the CVS.

@peeps who says its difficult:

I can agree with that. I've been using it for a long time so its like a second nature. At one point a "view" wasn't changing based on my thumbnails (like it had for years) - I thought something was hosed so i posted in the forums (but before that I wasted a couple hours testing different versions and deleting settings). Turns out the feature was removed BC it didn't work for others - where it always worked for me and was one of my favorite little features.

I think moving to almost any new media frontend is going to take some getting used to. I've tried using MCE 2005, VMC, media portal, xlobby, geexbox and others. In the end I couldn't get THEM working how I wanted or they just pissed me off. Back to XBMC it was.I'd like to check out a popcorn hour/media tank, but I'm so used to the amazing skins, responsiveness and features of XBMC, I'm sure it would end up in a closet immediately (the "lag" with other frontends is what gets them canned first normally).

The thing that sucks for the OP is he needs it to just work IMMEDIATELY with no learning curve. And really I have yet to find anything that can meet that criteria.

@blaze:
The thing that sucks for the OP is he needs it to just work IMMEDIATELY with no learning curve. And really I have yet to find anything that can meet that criteria.
To be fair to the PCH, it really does pretty much work out of the box. If you have your network set up to share your media already, you basically just turn it on, adjust the video output (480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc...), add the network share, and you're done. There are a couple of other self-explanatory tweaks you can make, but it's not difficult.

Basically a learning curve of about 15-30 minutes.

The problems come when you want to use an internal drive, a nicer interface, or use things like the bittorrent client. That'll take visits to forums, downloading software, reading the wiki, etc...The learning curve can grow to days, even more if you're short on daily play time.

If ALL you care about is the basic setup time and difficulty, I don't think they could have made it easier. However, you're gonna be stuck with a crappy interface and minimal operation.

@blaze:

Its been asked to before add dvd ripping into XBMC since the early days. They basically said "NO!" because they want to avoid any issues with the DMCA and legal mumbo jumbo.

With it on most platforms now and python available - someone could possibly make a way to integrate a ripping program into xbmc. But it will never be part of the CVS.

That's what i figured.

What we might end up doing is ripping our entire DVD collection (roughly entire, we got a couple hundred and I'm sure a few won't get ripped) to .iso format with MyMovies and VMC, then hop over to XBMC with the collection already built and go from there. Because I love XBMC :)

I figured out my problem last night. Every front end out there is flawed to some degree. You'll just need to chose which one fits your needs the best. Unfortunately that can be extremely frustrating. Not to mention the time needed to invest in each one. To the point where you lose all composure and fling the fucking thing out the window. lol :D

Here what I want:

something that responds as quick as XBMC
Looks as good as XBMC
Flexible as Media Portal
sets up as easy as VMC
uses the mymovies collection management
Will play music via iTunes
Can play .iso, wmv, TS, mp3, mp4, BD, aac

all in a cheap, quiet, low power, sharp looking, capable, box. I know it's like asking for EA to produce an functional game right out the box without DRM. It wont happen but its not impossible either.

What we might end up doing is ripping our entire DVD collection (roughly entire, we got a couple hundred and I'm sure a few won't get ripped) to .iso format with MyMovies and VMC, then hop over to XBMC with the collection already built and go from there. Because I love XBMC :)

This is why I think the slysoft stuff is just worth purchasing. I just rip the .iso tell it where i want it, then it names the files for me. I fire up the mymovies backend scan fill in any missing info, and boom fire up the front end.

can series 3 tivos play back iso files? It would seem like they'd have a killer application and render most of this moot if it would just play back isos of DVDs and Blu-rays. and of course dvix or something for those so inclined.

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. My HTPC functions perfectly for someone, me, who understands things. For my wife and kids though its like the puzzle box in hellraiser. I built my htpc with the intent that they stop destroying all the original dvds and to give them instant access to everything. Instead its turned into a half media server half computer with the convenience of one and the inconvenience of both.

I thought about going the media extender route, and it sounds like I might have to, but if I could hang all my personal media off the cable box or tivo that would be great. No multiple or confusing remotes, no having to select the proper HDMI input. its all just a headache right now.

McG

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. My HTPC functions perfectly for someone, me, who understands things. For my wife and kids though its like the puzzle box in hellraiser. I built my htpc with the intent that they stop destroying all the original dvds and to give them instant access to everything. Instead its turned into a half media server half computer with the convenience of one and the inconvenience of both.

McG

+1! same boat... More my fault then anything for not taking the right amount of time to do it well.

My chick has no issues with XBMC, she's semi-computer literate, I guess. Once all the content is scanned in it just shows up as one big list, so not much navigation (around my shares) is needed. The keys are pretty easy too, she just uses the arrows and finds what she wants and hits enter. Though, I have no ISOs or anything, it's all avi, mkv, etc. I don't know how (or if) XBMC can scan ISOs in.

If thats true then I wonder what frontend app you are using and how stupid your wife maybe if you are running a frontend app (if you're not running a frontend app then it's your fault that no one else can use the HTPC).
can series 3 tivos play back iso files? It would seem like they'd have a killer application and render most of this moot if it would just play back isos of DVDs and Blu-rays. and of course dvix or something for those so inclined.

I thought about going the media extender route, and it sounds like I might have to, but if I could hang all my personal media off the cable box or tivo that would be great. No multiple or confusing remotes, no having to select the proper HDMI input. its all just a headache right now.

McG

Here what I want:

something that responds as quick as XBMC
Looks as good as XBMC
Flexible as Media Portal
sets up as easy as VMC
uses the mymovies collection management
Will play music via iTunes
Can play .iso, wmv, TS, mp3, mp4, BD, aac

all in a cheap, quiet, low power, sharp looking, capable, box.

lol.. That's a TAAALLLL order. Let me know when you find it because I want it too. :p

My HTPC functions perfectly for someone, me, who understands things. For my wife and kids though its like the puzzle box in hellraiser. I built my htpc with the intent that they stop destroying all the original dvds and to give them instant access to everything. Instead its turned into a half media server half computer with the convenience of one and the inconvenience of both.

its all just a headache right now.

McG

I understand. TRUST ME. However, I just don't get what's so hard about it. I set up an HTPC for the lady who likes to watch movies and record her favorite tv shows..etc. She didn't like searching through a hundred different DVD's every time she wanted to watch one or navigate 40 different menu's to get to a show she recorded or have to choose between 6 different remotes. So I set up an HTPC w/ MCE05 and a 50" HD plasma TV.

-1 remote control does everything. Turns on TV and HTPC.
- Media Center starts automatically when HTPC powers on
- watch and record live TV w/ the MCE cable guide
- watch all fully ripped DVD movies with MyMovies plugin
- watch all recorded TV episodes (with its own menu)
- listen to music with album art..etc..
- easy navigation with said remote
- shut off HTPC and TV with the same 1 single remote

Easy easy lemon squeezy fa sheezy..!

No switching to the appropriate HDMI port on the TV..its already there. All movies + music are catalogued. What's so hard abut setting that up and using it?

Thoughts on NV's 9400 Ion platform? If it ever gets released I assume mixing that and XBMC = win?

Thoughts on NV's 9400 Ion platform? If it ever gets released I assume mixing that and XBMC = win?
Well, considering that XBMC doesn't support hardware acceleration I highly doubt it's any kind of win. But I am very interested in Ion for something like this.

I was running XP trying to run XBMC smoothly. I got pissed because I feel like it is tearing while VLC would not tear. I installed Vista to try with its supposedly better acceleration or something. Also installed the CCCP pack and now I have no foreground voice working. This HTPC stuff is not simple. XBMC would be perfect for me but I feel like the video player is shitty.

Also, does anyone know where is the best place to get a cheap but functional USB IR receiver?

Well, considering that XBMC doesn't support hardware acceleration I highly doubt it's any kind of win. But I am very interested in Ion for something like this.

So XBMC is completely CPU dependent for video playback? That's kind of... stupid? What's the "something" that you're interested in the Ion for? All this talk about how PCH's rudimentary interface is peanuts compared to XBMC's bling bling makes me want to go XBMC, but now that you said the Atom + 9400 = fail for it :(:confused::(

Yea, I was messing with XBMC and it's been a bit of pain as of late..

I think we're just going to use VMC and MyMovies2... sure it won't be as pretty, but meh... maybe we'll look into it again but VMC and MyMovies work well enough.

So XBMC is completely CPU dependent for video playback? That's kind of... stupid? What's the "something" that you're interested in the Ion for? All this talk about how PCH's rudimentary interface is peanuts compared to XBMC's bling bling makes me want to go XBMC, but now that you said the Atom + 9400 = fail for it :(:confused::(

It's more like Atom + 9400 + XBMC = total failure

Throw Media Portal on that Ion system and hardware acceleration goes back into the equation. The problem is XBMC and Media Portal can have just as much "bling" as well.

My main problem with XBMC is that it forces my TV into 1080 @ 60hz and for whatever reason it looks like shit. I have my catalyst drivers set up for 24 hz. I don't know if its the calibration settings or what. Every other frontend is fine. And yeah I did notice it was taxing the CPU quite a bit more.

Problem with the ion is

1. Is not availiable, nor is there any talk of it becoming availiable.
2. Not sure it could be priced cheaper than an HTPC.
3. The ION "unit" doesn't look like anything most people would want for an HTPC.
4. Blu Ray is sketchy at the moment.

Looks more like it would workas an extender rather than a full blown HTPC (is does look like a fun toy!)

I'm looking at it as a more full featured "extender" system then a full blown HTPC.

any word on the new mac mini?

Ive been pretty much anti-mac my whole life.
But if the new minis do HDMI and HD audio id be all over that.

I use a XBOX 360. I serve the media off a server in the basement using TVersity which is free.

The 360 supports H264, DIVX, etc out of the box and anything the 360 doesn't support, TVersity transcodes on the fly.

I think you need a hard drive though because h264 and Divx support come from the New XBOX Live update and that needs a hard disk to be installed, XBOX 360 Pro system would be the one to use.

TVversity also supports pretty much any internet streaming audio. I have all my shoutcast stations on it, 1.FM stations, etc.

XBOX Media remotes run $20 new.

Dell was really close to making a decent "extender" with the studio hybrid. However, crim was right that it just doesn't have the balls for full HD (1080p @ a beefy bit rate). If Dell EVER fixed this, I pretty much know what all my "extenders" would be. I would just get a good RF keyboard and throw in a drawer and use a mouse. The power draw at idle is good. In a decent sleep mode, it would probably be in the sub 20W which I could tolerate.

Dell was really close to making a decent "extender" with the studio hybrid. However, crim was right that it just doesn't have the balls for full HD (1080p @ a beefy bit rate).

It can handle the toughest 1080p as long as you use the Broadcom Accelerator card that comes with the blu ray option. If you don't use the card, it won't be able to handle the tough stuff even if you have the T9500.

It can handle the toughest 1080p as long as you use the Broadcom Accelerator card that comes with the blu ray option. If you don't use the card, it won't be able to handle the tough stuff even if you have the T9500.

Very true.

I just wish you could get the "accelerator" without getting the Blu-Ray drive. I guess that wish list from a previous post is still that. :)

As a HTPC replacement, maybe the SageTv HD Theater might suit? http://www.sage.tv/hd_theater.html

I personally haven't had any experience with one, but it seems interesting. Certainly seems to have a wide list of supported formats...

File formats supported: AVI, ASF, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 PS, MPEG-2 TS, M2TS, DVD ISO, DVD VIDEO_TS, VOB, M4A, MP3, FLAC, OGG, WAV, WMA
Video formats supported: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, XVID, H.264 up to 1080p, WMV9/VC-1 up to 1080p
Audio formats suppported: MP2, MP3, AAC, WMA, PCM, Vorbis (stereo only), AC3 (stereo down-mix/pass-through), FLAC, DTS (pass-through)
Media sources supported: Online Video, external USB Mass Storage Devices, NAS or Mac/PC over SMB/CIFS, UPnP, SageTV Media Center

i dont understand why you are having such problems with htpc, i have installed mediaportal with all the codecs i needed, and havnt had to do any tweeking, can play 1080p mkv and bluray movies with out a hitch, and its very easy for people to navigate the menu and find a movie to watch with a universal remote (harmony 880)
from what i have been reading those media extenders are atrocious, and cant play every format like my htpc.

i dont understand why you are having such problems with htpc, i have installed mediaportal with all the codecs i needed, and havnt had to do any tweeking, can play 1080p mkv and bluray movies with out a hitch, and its very easy for people to navigate the menu and find a movie to watch with a universal remote (harmony 880)
from what i have been reading those media extenders are atrocious, and cant play every format like my htpc.

If you read it you would realize that some of use our HTPC as EXTENDERS. This means we aren't sitting as a stand alone. If you sit stand alone, the issues get much less. Therefore, in that respect you are correct..the issues should be minor.

However some of us want access to our recorded shows as well as our media from a non central point. Media portal cannot do that...sigh. It really shouldn't be this hard of a problem...but getting those two elements to integrate properly with a single SW package has not been achieved yet. Now that we have blu-ray...we still can't do it without have a focus change on many soft clients.

The whole thread has been about this lack of a cohesive package. In reality, quite a few of us are giving up on the "total package" and trying to figure out what are willing to live without and see what other avenues that opens up.

Right now SageTV is about as close as we can get. Even support for native BD rips is becoming supported with the HD200 (right now you have to path to a file, it should be done with menu's soon enough). SageTV has recognized the true value in hard extenders with a central server and strongly working on those. They know they are right and which is why Frey can't keep them in stock for longer periods.

Now only if they fixed their interface. :D

Right now SageTV is about as close as we can get. Even support for native BD rips is becoming supported with the HD200 (right now you have to path to a file, it should be done with menu's soon enough). SageTV has recognized the true value in hard extenders with a central server and strongly working on those. They know they are right and which is why Frey can't keep them in stock for longer periods.

Now only if they fixed their interface. :D

As a long time sage user, most people I know either use SageMC (a mce lookalike) or dynamic menus (a stv plugin that allows customization of everything). Its true that by default it's a little bland but since everyone seems to have their preference, I think part of Sage's popularity is the ability to customize it to suit the individual.

The whole thread has been about this lack of a cohesive package. In reality, quite a few of us are giving up on the "total package" and trying to figure out what are willing to live without and see what other avenues that opens up.

QFT

I'm really surprised this business model hasn't caught on with develeopers or manf. Seems pretty money to me. Sage is about as close as it gets but until they hire someone to do something about the interface, I'm not oging to pay for it.

I like how this thread keeps morphing into new discussions

QFT

I'm really surprised this business model hasn't caught on with develeopers or manf. Seems pretty money to me. Sage is about as close as it gets but until they hire someone to do something about the interface, I'm not oging to pay for it.

I like how this thread keeps morphing into new discussions

It is a good thing. I'm pretty sure that most developers of this type of products do browse forums like this, read blogs, etc. As long we can keep discussing the pro's/con's of each the different packages without bashing it, we are more likely to get the features we want.

I think the reason why MS hasn't "done it" is because of the legal issues. My guess is deep in their labs, the whole "true extender" thing is probably done and fairly buttoned up. But since they have super deep pockets...they would be prime target.

It is a good thing. I'm pretty sure that most developers of this type of products do browse forums like this, read blogs, etc. As long we can keep discussing the pro's/con's of each the different packages without bashing it, we are more likely to get the features we want.

I think the reason why MS hasn't "done it" is because of the legal issues. My guess is deep in their labs, the whole "true extender" thing is probably done and fairly buttoned up. But since they have super deep pockets...they would be prime target.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they don't want to cannibalise sales of 360s for extenders and because they have no idea what they want VMC or eHome to really work on (seriously, moving dev to release with every new Windows release?!?).

Back