I think I need a new CPU cooler

Quiz

Gawd
Played a crap load of Apex Legends today along with a bit of Battlefield V. After I was done, I just randomly checked the inside of my case and saw white stuff on my graphics card. I quickly shut off my PC and opened the case. It was like white power and if I blew on it, it would vanish. Not sure if this is a coolant leak or something else because coolant is usually oily as far as I know. Anyway, I've had this cooler for 6 years and want to play it safe by replacing it. I'm looking at the Corsair H100i Pro. I guess it will support the 3930K I have? Also, should I just use the fans that come with the cooler or go for something better like Noctua fans? If I should go with better fans, any recommendations for what I should go with?

That cooler will be more than fine for you and the fans that come with it will be fine.

Thanks.

So, there won't be any improvement (in terms of cooling and/or noise levels) by getting better fans like Noctuas?

Unless you are doing overclocking, you won't notice much difference.

As an example, I have an original H100 on my i5-4690k that's overclocked nearly 1ghz and I'm using the Corsair fans that came with it. It runs around 40 idle, 60 in games and 80 DCing.

New cooler installed. Load temps dropped by around 10 C.

By the way, I removed the RAM in order to make it easier to install the CPU block/pump. While putting in back the RAM, I somehow broke off one of the RAM slot's "locking tabs." Now one of of the four slots only has one "locking tab." Dammit. At least the slot still works.

Back