I think I might have a page filing issue with my ssd

etegv

Limp Gawd
Hi, hardforuns. I am in need of some help.

I have two ssd hard drives. My issue is That the screen goes black and the sound cuts off whenever I try to run internet explorer. The screen will also go black after I try to open a folder. This will happen about a minute or two after I try to run something.

I just logged in, did not open anything and have no issues so far.

The bottom half of the screen will also display some kind of pink during the boot up process. I booted up the pc with only the primary ssd and still had the same issues come up. So far not opening up a folder/file/program us working. The screen does not go black/blank.

Also, the size of my ssd decreases everytime I open up a folder. It went from 5gb to 4.98 just now. I'm sure I had more space before I started having this issue.

I have the page file set to none. Is this the best thing to Do?

Thank you help and support. Any advice is appreciated.

No black screen after leaving pc on for 20 mins. I did not open anything.

This sounds more like a GPU issue, have you tried running your iGPU (if you have one) or a discrete GPU in case you are running the iGPU.

No pagefile at all on the entire machine? Windows 10 uses the pagefile a lot more and for a lot more stuff than Vista/7 and 8. Probably best enable on and let Windows handle it. Pagefile is now a catch all for all the fancy cacheing Windows does now.

That's about the worst thing you can do. You are waisting RAM this way.

No page file is the worst thing to do? I read it was the one of the better options

The pc ran fine when I set no page file and logged in with nothing running. No internet explorer, no windows media, player. I don't get a black screen. It only starts to crash with these programs.

Also, I deleted some thing last night and had 15. Gb of space. I check on the hard drive 10 mins later and had 8 gb of space. Why?

What should I set my page file to? I think I have two 120gb hard drives. I have 8 gb of ram.

Thanks

In the past when the endurance of the ssds was low i remember some recommended to remove the pagefile as long as you had lots ram, i did it on a couple of win7 formats, and then i decided to let it be, the only thing i disable is hibernation and in some cases windows restore points.

No page file is the worst thing to do? I read it was the one of the better options

The pc ran fine when I set no page file and logged in with nothing running. No internet explorer, no windows media, player. I don't get a black screen. It only starts to crash with these programs.

Also, I deleted some thing last night and had 15. Gb of space. I check on the hard drive 10 mins later and had 8 gb of space. Why?

What should I set my page file to? I think I have two 120gb hard drives. I have 8 gb of ram.

Thanks

I assume the guy that gave you that advise had clear and objcetive performance measurement and not just pawning off an untested myth based on a misconception on how page file and the windows memory system works?
no page file = junk in ram
There is no generel good performance reason you want to disable the pagefile. It has been that way since windows xp if not further back
its just an iditioc "tweaks" like enabling high performance in windows ( with the exclusion of core parking. that shit needs to be disabled, and perhaps some exception with new cpu/old os combo's)

Last edited:
Yeah there was a time when you had plenty of RAM you could chunk your Pagefile down to say 256MB and Windows would work fine. Some software just needed to know one was there to run properly. For a while it was mainly used for crashdumps. However, that has all changed. MS has put a lot of new and more dynamic caching in Windows 10 and it loves a Pagefile managed by itself.

I was running my Windows 10 machine with 16GB of DDR4 3000 and a 250MB Pagefile and if I ran Fallout 4 and Firefox together I would get low memory warnings. This was that I was only using 8GB of RAM. I did a little research and found that Windows 10 pushes the Commit Charge to the Pagefile which is pretty big. So I set the Pagefile to Windows managed on a separate small SSD and the issues went away. I'd never had a Pagefile issue until I was using Windows 10...because it really uses it.

So I just leave that as it is now.

Yeah there was a time when you had plenty of RAM you could chunk your Pagefile down to say 256MB and Windows would work fine. Some software just needed to know one was there to run properly. For a while it was mainly used for crashdumps. However, that has all changed. MS has put a lot of new and more dynamic caching in Windows 10 and it loves a Pagefile managed by itself.

I was running my Windows 10 machine with 16GB of DDR4 3000 and a 250MB Pagefile and if I ran Fallout 4 and Firefox together I would get low memory warnings. This was that I was only using 8GB of RAM. I did a little research and found that Windows 10 pushes the Commit Charge to the Pagefile which is pretty big. So I set the Pagefile to Windows managed on a separate small SSD and the issues went away. I'd never had a Pagefile issue until I was using Windows 10...because it really uses it.

So I just leave that as it is now.

so you let Windows automatically adjust it?

so you let Windows automatically adjust it?

Yeah, it actually only uses as much as it needs then.

Mine is set on a separate 120GB NVMe SSD that I use as a cache drive. Windows 10 tells me my Windows managed Pagefile is currently 1024MB but recommends 2932MB. I guess it goes up to that and higher if I start pushing hard.

So it doesn't automatically allocate 2.5 times your system ram (I have 16GB). That was fine in the days when you had 32MB of ram and a 40GB HDD but now we have 16/32/64GB that old mantra is silly.

Just set it to automatic and forget about it. Messing with it is not a performance tweak. The only tweak still maybe worth it is to put the pagefile on a separate SSD to your OS/software SSD.

Back