i think i may have just fried my 3500+

ChaseJ86

Limp Gawd
i was changing the coolant in my koolance today and hardwired the psu to run some water through the system to clean it out. i had the cpu cooling block off. The motherboard atx connectore were unplugged except for the extra 4 pin connector. I unplugged this while the psu was still on and thought nothing would be wrong. Could this 4 pin provide power to the cpu?

I think you just took the record for number of horrible ideas crammed into one post. I'd say it's a good bet you fried your motherboard and your CPU.

i didn't run water through the computer, i ran it through the koolance system. i figured out what was wrong. one of the pins was bent on the cpu. straightened it out and it works fine.

Count yourself extremely lucky. Never run a PSU that is only partially connected to a system, and never, ever plug or unplug power connectors while a power supply is running. You're just begging for problems.

Also, how did the pin get bent if you didn't remove the CPU from the socket? :confused:

I always have an extra powersupply to test stuff like that NEVER leave anything plug in like video cards, hds, mobo, ect... when testing your water cooler.

just got back from vacation... sorry for not responding. i took out the cpu cuz the h2O block had bubbles in it so i took off the block and moved it around a bit to get the air bubbles out (i'm a perfectionist and crap like that drives me crazy,.....maybe ocd.. but whatev). I decided to put a new version of thermal past on the cpu so thats y i took it out. never removed any of the tubes on the watercooler, so there was no way coolant could leak out. I just didn't happen to see that 4 pin connector still plugged in to the computer and thought crap and unplugged it w/o thinking to turn off comp first. oh well, at least it's not fried. thnx guys

Back