Fuse

Limp Gawd
Not that it was worth anything.

Anyways, first off, system specs.

DFI LanParty Ultra-D
Opteron 165
2 gigs gskill ram
256mb ati radeon x550 (pci express x16)

Bought the x550 as a standover card, because i dont do that much gaming, and it will still play counter-strike 1.6 easily, which is what I like to play.

Now, I think I shorted something on the card. I was cooling the memory chips on the back of the card with a huge chunk of copper I took of my friends watercooled x850xt. Wouldnt fit properly, so I sorta laid it on the back of the card as a joke "this ought to cover my cooling"

No problems with this originally. I was in the bios changing my ram timings, (changing from 3-4-3-8 to 3-4-3-7) and when i saved/quit my display started displaying weird odd colored paterns of lines and such. I tried booting with a really old PCI graphics card, and that worked once. And now when i try that again, I get a disk error, and I am told to insert a windows cd or whatnot.

So any ideas? Or is it hello 7900gt (really want one of those...but cant really afford it.)

Fuse said:
Not that it was worth anything.

Anyways, first off, system specs.

DFI LanParty Ultra-D
Opteron 165
2 gigs gskill ram
256mb ati radeon x550 (pci express x16)

Bought the x550 as a standover card, because i dont do that much gaming, and it will still play counter-strike 1.6 easily, which is what I like to play.

Now, I think I shorted something on the card. I was cooling the memory chips on the back of the card with a huge chunk of copper I took of my friends watercooled x850xt. Wouldnt fit properly, so I sorta laid it on the back of the card as a joke "this ought to cover my cooling"

No problems with this originally. I was in the bios changing my ram timings, (changing from 3-4-3-8 to 3-4-3-7) and when i saved/quit my display started displaying weird odd colored paterns of lines and such. I tried booting with a really old PCI graphics card, and that worked once. And now when i try that again, I get a disk error, and I am told to insert a windows cd or whatnot.

So any ideas? Or is it hello 7900gt (really want one of those...but cant really afford it.)

Yeah, it sounds like you just shorted out your video card with that "huge chunk of copper..."

There's a reason why they screw the cooling units into place and why there are standoffs. Otherwise, the HSF will come into contact with the board's electronics and all sort of nastiness will happen.

Yeah, I can RMA it. Id want to upgrade though, and theyll only send me a replacement. Meh, guess thats better than nothing, considering I was the one who messed it up in the first place.

That was probably a bad idea, but you should see if the rest of your pc is ok by using another "known good" card. You said that you tried the pci card,but you had some issues. hopefully you didn't fry your motherboard or PCI express socket with your tomfoolery (people don't use this expression enough ;) ).

You shouldn't really RMA anything that is, by definition, 100% your fault.

PWMK2 said:
You shouldn't really RMA anything that is, by definition, 100% your fault.

.....unless you know that you will absolutely get away with it ;)

Fuse said:

Good joke! :D I thought it was quite funny :DD

lol. something was bound to happen. seriously, that X550 isn't worth much anyway. I'd probably take that card out to some field and ceremonially burn it (take the ram cooler first).

StealthyFish said:
lol. something was bound to happen. seriously, that X550 isn't worth much anyway. I'd probably take that card out to some field and ceremonially burn it, then post pics of the "sacrifice" here (take the ram cooler first).

Fixed ;)

Put it in a paper bag, light it up, place it in front of ATI HQ, and ring the doorbell.

:p

Back