I think I am going to cry

I shop newegg with hoverhound and usually find better prices on amazon. The search results on newegg are better so look there and use hoverhound for the better prices.

Like others, I've used Newegg for decades. (Okay, 1.9 decades...regardless, a LOOOOONG time.)

I always select the option "Seller: Newegg" and avoid third-party sales. (Just like Amazon.) I've never had a problem.

is the x570 only for gen 3 amd cpu? i also use newegg for the longest and never had one problem

Got a big discount on a X470 Crosshair VII board on Amazon yesterday, about $190. I don't think X570 will make a difference unless you are in need of three M.2 drives on the motherboard. Otherwise, save money.

Ive never had an issue with newegg either and Ive been buying from them since they opened.

I've been using Newegg since they started doing business, what was that like twenty years ago. I've always had really good service with them, but yeah they really went downhill after they sold out a few years ago. They were such a great vendor too. I still use them and haven't had a problem, but they're a shell of what they used to be, making the name fairly appropriate. Amazon sucks, always has. Micro center has a fraction of the stock and then there's eBay which is a whole suck in of itself. The state of vendors is what makes me want to cry. I think it's just the entropy of the universe at fault.

Reactions: noko
like this
whats better x570 or trx40 and whats the diff?

Like night and day. Don't go Threadripper unless you are a graphic artist doing rendering or engineer doing CAD work or working with some other multi-core intensive productivity stuff.

The platform is expensive. It's really a waste of money unless you have a specific need for a very high core count. It has some other advantages too like a much greater number of PCIe lanes for lots of I/O. Can be useful for specialty peripherals used in production.

Now if you ~are~ one of those doing multi-core intensive productivity work, the Threadripper is an amazing desktop system. You have to go enterprise to get something like that from Intel for many times the cost. Even then AMD has its Epyc line to compete in server land which is also a lot less money.

Last edited:
As of mid May 2020, no major online vendor in the U.S. appears to have x570 motherboards in stock. Does anyone have insight to timelines regarding supply chains? Will restocking occur over weeks, months, not at all? Should we instead hold out for the successor to x570 (whatever that is)?

I was able to find a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra from Newegg just a week (or two?) ago. I had had the same "out of stock" issue to which you're referring, but it showed up after about 2 weeks of checking.

I checked Microcenter in Houston and they got 8 Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi boards and one Asrock X570 board (forget which one) and the were all gone within an hour. I would grabbed one of the crosshair boards but did nnot want to pay $379.99 for it. Saw they got one Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 in stock this morning and by the time I could get it in the cart and bought it was already gone. :cry:

On Newegg, "Not Available" doesn't necessarily mean discontinued. If you scroll down a bit, it just says "out of stock" and there's a good chance it'll be back in stock...

...eventually...

...you know, when you can use the board for your life support machine while you're dying of old age. Low end x570 boards seem to be completely gone. Mid-to high end boards are mostly gone or are only for sale by scalpers. Only the highest end boards seem available and I really don't need a mobo with a water cooling feature for the chipset. Looks like I'll just go outside and dig an in-ground swimming pool by hand. I'll buy a computer when I'm done.

On topic: Microcenter in Westmont, IL has a few x570 boards. There aren't 10+ of all of them,but stock seems solid. I don't think that there is a national shortage of them that would result in over-inflated prices but it seems a little light. They are even doing the bundles with CPUs still.

The Fry's out here seems to be closing down. Well before the lock-down, I went in there and they had virtually no stock. I immediately thought that they are going under or they couldn't get credit to keep things stocked up. The weekly flier has absolute bullshit items listed for sale with almost no PC components.

Best Buy matches pricing to ship from/sold by Amazon if you need to go that route. I am not sure how that gets processed with curb-side pickup but they seem to be viable now with an okay assortment of parts depending on the location.

The B550 boards will be out soon and you can probably save some cash by using one of those boards. That's what I plan on doing. I'm only going to run an 8 core, so it should be more than sufficient for me.

The B550 boards will be out soon and you can probably save some cash by using one of those boards. That's what I plan on doing. I'm only going to run an 8 core, so it should be more than sufficient for me.

Or, if PCIe 4 doesn't matter to you, as-of yesterday AMD committed to supporting 400-series chipsets for Zen 3. Although they havn't told us the details, The most logical path for that would be to stop supporting Zen 1 and Zen+, and go with Zen 2/3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1580...ryzen-4000-cpus-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards

So it should be capable of supporting whatever you buy now, plus whatever you buy in the future.

B550 will have PCI-E 4.

Well yes, but doesn't officially release for a month.

And after it's released on the 16tth, if you think you'll be able to find it in retailer for the first three months, you're nuts. It's going to be just as sold-out as the x570.

OP was asking about how best to build an AMD system TODAY, not wait six months for Zen 3. They're not going to suddenly magically resolve their Covid supply issues on new in-demand chipsets, so you're best-off buying older chipsets (they have more stock already built-up).

Although even those are picked-over!

https://www.newegg.com/msi-performance-gaming-x470-gaming-plus-max/p/N82E16813144266

I still wouldn’t put all your eggs in one basket and buy a X470 board thinking it’ll get Zen 3 support. Apparently one of the biggest influencers in AMD’s change of heart was MSI because they made claims that some of their 400 series boards would support Zen 3 which opened them up to lawsuits. On the other side of the fence ASUS apparently backed AMD’s initial stance of limiting Zen 3 to 500 series boards (ASUS didn’t make the same claims MSI did). So I wouldn’t be surprised if manufacturers that didn’t make the Zen 3 compatibility claims (like ASUS) end up just not implementing the support.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. Micro Center got some motherboards in stock today and I picked up a Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi X570. Not quite what I wanted (no post code LED display and it has WIFI but it has the 4 boot failure LEDS and I can always pick up a PCIe post card later) but has enough features that I can make it work and should be happy with it. I mainly wanted a board that could do dual 8X video cards to run two Nvidia cards in my system (not running SLI, using the second card to boost the CUDA core count for rendering). I also went with a Ryzen 7 3700X and will sell it if Zen 3 is that big of a performance jump over Zen 2. Since this is more than a gaming `puter, I also picked up 32 GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series CL16 memory. Will be moving the rest of my signature over to the new system. Picked up a cheap Zalman Z9 case from Fry's (I consider anything under $100.00 cheap and I wanted an optical drive bay as I watch rented movies on this thing too). It seems well built and not to bad for a budget case.

I actually have an Aorus x570 Elite and it's been working great for a few months now. My only complaint is with the quality of the BIOS, some weirdness, but evidently BIOS isn't great for any these x570 boards.

Watch out for the sleep bug where it fails to boot with that particular board. If it ever does that to you, just pull the CMOS battery for a few moments and you can get it back. Hopefully you won't see it, not everyone does. First boot after a BIOS reset takes extra time so don't worry if it doesn't come up right away for first power-on, give it like thirty seconds. Also avoid the Gigabyte utility software, it's pretty bad and can cause system crashes. If you use RGB you're kind of stuck with it, but don't let it run in the background. Use HWInfo64 for sensors.

I actually have an Aorus x570 Elite and it's been working great for a few months now. My only complaint is with the quality of the BIOS, some weirdness, but evidently BIOS isn't great for any these x570 boards.

Watch out for the sleep bug where it fails to boot with that particular board. If it ever does that to you, just pull the CMOS battery for a few moments and you can get it back. Hopefully you won't see it, not everyone does. First boot after a BIOS reset takes extra time so don't worry if it doesn't come up right away for first power-on, give it like thirty seconds. Also avoid the Gigabyte utility software, it's pretty bad and can cause system crashes. If you use RGB you're kind of stuck with it, but don't let it run in the background. Use HWInfo64 for sensors.
Hopefully, I don't have to worrk about the sleep bug. I either lock my 'puter or shut it down. Most of the time it is just on. Since I have an SSD, my machine boots pretty quick and I do a full shutdown every night and then boot it up in the morning. That usually keeps thing running well on my system.

I do that also, I also disable fast start (from power options) and hibernation from command line (powercfg -h off). Disable wifi in BIOS if not required. That stuff can cause trouble.

Back