I take back anything bad I ever said about PS3

you can utterly ignore anything Godofdestrcution says.
it's for your own good.

he posted in this thread, therefore a lock is in the near future.
he's the new godwin.

wii is neat. its a good console for some fun family games. for me it was neat for about 5 minutes and most people I know have it sitting collecting dust while they continue to hardcore play there ps3 or xbox 360.

It is NOT a gamers console and never will be. I really wish people would STOP comparing the WII to PS3 or xbox 360. Its like apples and oranges. Completely different market. Completely different type of gaming. Its not next gen by any means. Its like comparing a corolla to a corvette.....

wii is neat. its a good console for some fun family games. for me it was neat for about 5 minutes and most people I know have it sitting collecting dust while they continue to hardcore play there ps3 or xbox 360.

It is NOT a gamers console and never will be. I really wish people would STOP comparing the WII to PS3 or xbox 360. Its like apples and oranges. Completely different market. Completely different type of gaming. Its not next gen by any means. Its like comparing a corolla to a corvette.....

Nonsense, it's every bit as "Next gen" as 360 and PS3. The difference is that the R&D money went into changing the *interface* rather than the graphics. That doesn't make it "not next gen", it makes it Next Gen with a different focus area for improvement.

What's funny are the whiners complaining about big-screen gaming with the Wii. I use mine on a 61" 720p HDTV (samsung) and it looks fine and plays fun just the way it is. Sure, nicer graphics would have been nice, but I think it was worth the tradeoff to get a new way to play.

Nonsense, it's every bit as "Next gen" as 360 and PS3. The difference is that the R&D money went into changing the *interface* rather than the graphics. That doesn't make it "not next gen", it makes it Next Gen with a different focus area for improvement.

What's funny are the whiners complaining about big-screen gaming with the Wii. I use mine on a 61" 720p HDTV (samsung) and it looks fine and plays fun just the way it is. Sure, nicer graphics would have been nice, but I think it was worth the tradeoff to get a new way to play.

Im sorry but the wiimote is not revolutionary. its gimicky and to say the wii is every bit of next gen as a 360 or ps3 is pretty neive. its a kids/family console plain and simple.

as I said, I can name off a half a dozen gamers I know that ran out and bought a wii including myself who also either own a ps3 or 360 who feel the same as myself.

The Wii is NOT in the same league as the 360 and ps3. It costs half the price, has half the features, is geared towards the "family" croud and the wiimote is clever but does not make up for the lack of capabilities and power.

I'm not saying the Wii sucks. Im just saying stop comparing to to the 360 or ps3. Apples and oranges.

The wiis so last gen sony got a panic on a ripped out the feedback on the controllor and shoved in motion sensors. :rolleyes:

I love my PS3 with my 56" 1080p Sammy

Blu-Ray is awesome, although I do have a 360 with the HD-DVD addon as well. So I buy movies (not the same ones.. hehe) in both formats. I am not worried about which format wins, why? Because even if Blu-Ray loses I still have a blu-ray player and blu-ray movies that will still work. Just like laserdisc or VHS, if you have a player that is in working condition you will still be able to watch what you have purchased, they wont instantly stop working once a format is finished.

So why wait to see which format wins has and will never be a concern for me.

The wiis so last gen sony got a panic on a ripped out the feedback on the controllor and shoved in motion sensors. :rolleyes:

they didn't rip out rumble to add motion. Please review the facts.

panic? I think someone just said.. "eh... thats a neat little thing. lets see if we can add it to appease those who might be interested." I highly doubt they said, "OH MY GOD WE NEED TO ADD THIS OR THE PS3 WILL SUCK."

its a niftly little gimick. nothing more. Nothing less. and it certainly does not make the wii next gen. Next gen is HD, media center and online capabilities none of which the wii does.

STOP IT!!

I am sick of everyone turning all of these into a Console A vs Console B flamefest. Unless your post has something to do with influencing your PS3 purchase/lack of purchase, don't post.

Please note that "Next Generation" is currently used to describe 7th generation consoles. The PS3, 360 and WII are all 7th generation consoles and therefore currently "next gen." It has nothing to do with features, games, sales or anything; it is 100% dependent on the launch date. This is why MS's 2nd console, Sony's 3rd console and Nintendo's 5th console are the same generation.

its a kids/family console plain and simple.

I'd say it's more a party machine. I said it before I owned one and I maintain it still. Mine only gets used now when ppl are round. Short blast games like Warioware and Rayman and then it gets turned off till the next time ppl are round, apart from the odd occasion that I play the Wii Sports fitness test for a laugh and to see if I'm any worse :)

I would not call it a next gen console at all. To me it looks no better than a Gamecube with bells and whistles, I'm sure ppl with hate that and will call me all the names under the sun but IMO it's like Sony making the PS2 a bit bigger with a blu-ray drive and a motion sensor pad and calling it a PS3. IE not next gen.

Anyways!!

By the looks of things the PS3 will really be taking off over the next 6-12months. About time I say.

By the looks of things the PS3 will really be taking off over the next 6-12months. About time I say.

If the PS3 really takes off, it will be in 2008. Thats when its big games are slated to release. The only concern for Sony is that many of those big games have gone multiplatform. This is going to force Sony to do a price cut to bring people in. My opinion on it is that they wont have enough system selling exclusives to justify the high price so they will have to cut it. Blu-Ray will not be that big of a big factor because the price of desrete HDDVD and Blu-Ray prices are going to be down in the $200 to $300 range.

Disagree.

Ppl have come away from playing Calling all Cars + Rub a Duck wanting one. With games like Pain, LittleBigPlanet and Socom coming thru the PSN (yes Socom isn't PS3 exclusive but the 32player online is....is it not?) these are the games ppl are wanting to play. Add ontop of that games like Heavenly Sword and Lair. Then factor in Home.....

I was in a big game/pc parts store the other day and overhead a few ppl talking saying as soon as Home is out they are buying PS3. Silly to sink that much for one thing? Maybe, but sell the console it will.

Now lets talk about cross platform. Two of the biggest being GTA and Pro Evo Soccer/Winning Eleven. If rumours are to be believed and the PS3 gets the superior version of both, these games alone are system sellers. Pro Evo/W11 especially in Japan and Europe.

So without even touching the so called 'big hitters' of MGS, Tekken 6 and GT5 it doesn't look to bad this year for PS3 does it?

Disagree.

Ppl have come away from playing Calling all Cars + Rub a Duck wanting one. With games like Pain, LittleBigPlanet and Socom coming thru the PSN (yes Socom isn't PS3 exclusive but the 32player online is....is it not?) these are the games ppl are wanting to play. Add ontop of that games like Heavenly Sword and Lair. Then factor in Home.....

I was in a big game/pc parts store the other day and overhead a few ppl talking saying as soon as Home is out they are buying PS3. Silly to sink that much for one thing? Maybe, but sell the console it will.

Now lets talk about cross platform. Two of the biggest being GTA and Pro Evo Soccer/Winning Eleven. If rumours are to be believed and the PS3 gets the superior version of both, these games alone are system sellers. Pro Evo/W11 especially in Japan and Europe.

So without even touching the so called 'big hitters' of MGS, Tekken 6 and GT5 it doesn't look to bad this year for PS3 does it?

You listed a quite few games that come out in 2008. Little Big Planet is slated for early 2008, GT5's release date is currently Spring 08, so it doesn't factor into this year. EBGames has pushed back their pre-order date for MGS to 2008, which is a good indication that the game is going to be delayed. Tekken is listed on IGN as TBA 2008.

Of the late release games you mentioned, only SOCOM is actually supposed to come out this year and thats only the online game.

So, that leaves Lair and Heavenly sword as full release games. They are just not system sellers. I stand by it, next year is when PS3's possible system sellers come out, not this year.

Edit: and the arcade games do not sell the system. Sure someone may want one. Hell, I WANT one, doesn't mean I'll buy one. I don't spend $600 to play a couple of $10 arcade games.

If the PS3 really takes off, it will be in 2008. Thats when its big games are slated to release. The only concern for Sony is that many of those big games have gone multiplatform. This is going to force Sony to do a price cut to bring people in. My opinion on it is that they wont have enough system selling exclusives to justify the high price so they will have to cut it. Blu-Ray will not be that big of a big factor because the price of desrete HDDVD and Blu-Ray prices are going to be down in the $200 to $300 range.

I see 2008 as the year the PS3 either takes off or dies out. We should have at least seen 1 if not 2 price cuts by this time next year to spur sales. There should also be a respectable line up by then.

The problem is that a lot of home buy only one console per generation. The average person may have lost interest in the PS3 by then if they already have a 360 and/or a WII.

The average person may have lost interest in the PS3 by then if they already have a 360 and/or a WII.

The market is nowhere near saturated. People will continuing buying consoles but they'll have to keep lowering the price. I think a $100 price drop is coming before Christmas. There are a lot of people that would like to own one, but can't afford it yet. Buying used is a good way to go on a budget and it's not as risky as a used X360 IMO.

The market is nowhere near saturated. People will keep buying consoles but they'll have to keep lowering the price. I think a $100 price drop is coming before Christmas. There are a lot of people that would like to own one, but can't afford it yet.

I think thats only a part of it. I think to be a big seller over Christmas, it is going to need a flagship game or games. I want to know what games those are for 2007. Heavenly Sword looks neat, but its no God of War. The only review I've seen of Lair so far is from Kotaku and the guy was not thoroughly impressed. This is a shame because I thought Lair looked interesting from the videos I saw before release.

You listed a quite few games that come out in 2008. Little Big Planet is slated for early 2008, GT5's release date is currently Spring 08, so it doesn't factor into this year. EBGames has pushed back their pre-order date for MGS to 2008, which is a good indication that the game is going to be delayed. Tekken is listed on IGN as TBA 2008.

Of the late release games you mentioned, only SOCOM is actually supposed to come out this year and thats only the online game.

So, that leaves Lair and Heavenly sword as full release games. They are just not system sellers. I stand by it, next year is when PS3's possible system sellers come out, not this year.

Edit: and the arcade games do not sell the system. Sure someone may want one. Hell, I WANT one, doesn't mean I'll buy one. I don't spend $600 to play a couple of $10 arcade games.

It seems you didn't read my post properly.....oh well.

I never said Lair or Heavenly Sword were system sellers, just very good looking exclusives. System sellers would be the superior versions, cross platform, Pro Evo and GTA.

I also purposely left MGS and GT5 till the end of my post as an afterthought as whenever these games are brought into a discussion like this the non-PS3 owner/liker starts the predictable 'Yes but....no but....they aren't out till 2049'. If you re-read that is why I put 'without even touching the big hitters'.

Now you own a 360 it would seem and that is your choice, but there is no denying by the end of the year there will be alot of quality titles out on the PS3. Simple.

And not buying a system for $10 dollar games? Even when those $10 dollar games are exceptionally good fun? I assume you've never played any of them with a remark like that. Those $10 games get more time than the full price titles at present and with what will be released probably will stay that way. I'm not the only person I know who is the same. Ppl like value and quality. The PS3 itself may not represent that yet, but there are games you can get that do. When the PS3 drops in price I predict them to be VERY popular.

I also like how you ignore Home :) That IS a system seller.

I think thats only a part of it. I think to be a big seller over Christmas, it is going to need a flagship game or games.

Even though it's multi-platform, I think GTA4 will sell a lot of PS3s this Christmas.
Sony would be wise to release some $20 greatest hits titles too. i.e. Resistance, RR7 etc.. But undoubtedly, they can't hit X360 sales #s until at least next year. MS had a good jump. edit: But I agree, it would be ideal to get an early flagship game like Gran Turismo 5 or Tekken 6.

No it's not. It might be neat and it might cater to some of the people who enjoy sim games, but not to the extent that people will fork over $600 just to mess around with it.

It's an added feature, the same as XBL. Without games to compliment the service, it won't move any consoles.

System sellers would be the superior versions, cross platform, Pro Evo and GTA.

Rockstar has said several times that the versions will be identical, barring one thing... Downloadable content, which is only planned for the 360 at this time.

There goes your "superior version" nonsense.

It seems you didn't read my post properly.....oh well.

I never said Lair or Heavenly Sword were system sellers, just very good looking exclusives. System sellers would be the superior versions, cross platform, Pro Evo and GTA.

I also purposely left MGS and GT5 till the end of my post as an afterthought as whenever these games are brought into a discussion like this the non-PS3 owner/liker starts the predictable 'Yes but....no but....they aren't out till 2049'. If you re-read that is why I put 'without even touching the big hitters'.

Now you own a 360 it would seem and that is your choice, but there is no denying by the end of the year there will be alot of quality titles out on the PS3. Simple.

And not buying a system for $10 dollar games? Even when those $10 dollar games are exceptionally good fun? I assume you've never played any of them with a remark like that. Those $10 games get more time than the full price titles at present and with what will be released probably will stay that way. I'm not the only person I know who is the same. Ppl like value and quality. The PS3 itself may not represent that yet, but there are games you can get that do. When the PS3 drops in price I predict them to be VERY popular.

I ignored Home on purpose. I've said this before. The same group that likes something like Second Life is not the same group that spends $600 fo a video game system to do the same. Home is neat. Its cool that its free, but its not a system seller. I think most people will mess with it for a month or two after it comes out, then they will just go back to playing the games they bought for the system. The purpose of the online component of these systems is either to deliver content or to allow players to play the multiplayer games that they bought with each other. Now, I didn't want to bring up the 360, but for the purpose of comparison, XBL is an excellent tool for quickly connecting players to others to play the games that they bought. Home has to do this or its just a cute little addition that will go mostly unused. If it does do that, then that function of it will be used, and the other more social aspect of it will go underutilized.

Of course I mentioned the release dates for those games in my post because the whole purpose of my original post is to say that 2008 is where the PS3 will fly, if it does. To rebut this, you brought up a bunch of games that come out in 2008 and only 3 non-arcade games that come out in 2007.

Calling All Cars looks great, but not $600 great. Again, there are no system sellers coming out this year for the PS3. I'm not saying its a bad system, but this is just not its year.

Even though it's multi-platform, I think GTA4 will sell a lot of PS3s this Christmas.

I can see that. I think that of the people who own PS2s and not a 360 now and love GTA, some will be attracted the PS3. Especially since some other big games will, by then, be on the horizon. So, yea, GTA4 is definitely a good thing for PS3, even though its multiplatform.

I think since on the main gaming crowd people got sorta tired of sequel after sequel with barelly any additions in the games like madden and stuff. Thats why we see that tekkan 5 didn't make a dent and lots of others didn't. Only time i've seen where it was doing ok was during christmas but after that it fell harder than king kong. Most likely next year or during christmas is when we'll see the ps3 pickup. I don't think the games and the price appeal to many people thats why its been on the down side as of christmas.:)

Rockstar has said several times that the versions will be identical, barring one thing... Downloadable content, which is only planned for the 360 at this time.

And I've seen it stated that with the PS3 version being on Bluray and with that the inherent extra space for textures etc meaning the PS3 version will be superior.

At the moment it's all rumours.

Same goes with Pro Evo. If what has been leaked is true and it is head and shoulders above the 360 version (which even the PS2 version was in the most recent version) and the fact that Konami have apparantly been working on the PS3 version for the best part of 2 years, then that will shift a hell of alot of PS3's in Europe and Japan. You lot may not give 2 shits about football/soccer games, but they shift units elsewhere. Especially this particular series.

When the PS3 user base grows and more cross platform games are developed for the machine first, then the 360, I would assume, will always get a poorer version due to the fact it is usung DVD for storage. This will be shown with Pro Evo first of all and I'm very sure other games will follow. You may quote and cry BS but by the end of the year we shall see......

Only 360 exclusives will show the true power of the machine, just like games are programmed first for 360 now and the PS3 gets piss poor conversions.....

This is a pointless arguement tho. It is mostly based on hearsay and 'nuggets' of info, not to mention OT.

Fact of the matter is the PS3 is getting stronger. The catalogue is getting stronger. Ppl that previously slayed the machine having now owned and played it have changed their opinions and good for them. It seems alot of members on this forum still have a huge chip on their shoulders when it comes to Sony and PS3, but I guess that is their perogative :)

No it's not. It might be neat and it might cater to some of the people who enjoy sim games, but not to the extent that people will fork over $600 just to mess around with it.

It's an added feature, the same as XBL. Without games to compliment the service, it won't move any consoles.

Eh, a lot of people choose the Xbox because of XBL and because they like online gaming. I don't see how you can not include that as a system seller? In your opinion what consitutes as a system seller then? If a certain option or a game is enough to make me purchase a system, then i'd qualify that as a system seller especially for the masses.

Fact of the matter is the PS3 is getting stronger. The catalogue is getting stronger. Ppl that previously slayed the machine having now owned and played it have changed their opinions and good for them. It seems alot of members on this forum still have a huge chip on their shoulders when it comes to Sony and PS3, but I guess that is their perogative :)

Hmm, right now I don't think the PS3 is getting much stronger. I think this is the tough time for it right now. Sales are declining and most of the big games are far off. It has nothing to do with a chips on shoulders. Its just a statement of fact. The sales numbers and the release dates of products all point to a weak year for the PS3. Many market anaylists are saying the same. Most of these posts aren't "Sony is bad, the PS3 is going to die", its more of a discussion of what the PS3s market performance is now and what it might be in the future. The conversation took its own course after OP. To be honest, your posts make you look more like a Sony apologist than our posts make us look like bashers. In actually, many of us have stated at some point that we will probably buy a PS3, but the games just aren't there yet. I'd say that just makes us cautious consumers.

Eh, a lot of people choose the Xbox because of XBL and because they like online gaming. I don't see how you can not include that as a system seller? In your opinion what consitutes as a system seller then? If a certain option or a game is enough to make me purchase a system, then i'd qualify that as a system seller especially for the masses.

Read again what I said:

"It's an added feature, the same as XBL. Without games to compliment the service, it won't move any consoles."

I think that pretty much sums it up. XBL (and Home) are useless if there aren't games that utilize the feature. Therefore, it's not a system seller. The games themselves are. They're just taking advantage of a feature left for them by Sony and MS.

System sellers are really the games that people buy the system to play. XBL is only a facilitator. For example, Gears of War is a decent game with an online component. XBL helps that online component really move. XBL is nothing without those games.

Examples of system selling games have been:

Nintendo: Most Zelda and Mario games
Playstation 1 - Final Fantasy 7, GT, Metal Gear Solid
Dreamcast - . . . really didn't have any
Playstation 2 - GT3, GTA3
Xbox - Halo
Xbox 360 - Gears of War
Playstation 3 - Nothing yet, but some games in 2008.

Also note, that many of these games didn't come out right when the console released. Some of them came out a year or so after.

I didn't mention games that hadn't come out yet in the above list, which is by no means complete, I'm just listing things off the top of my head. Its the games that sell the system. Its good for systems to have a strong game that it is associated with. XBL is a cool Xbox feature but what is it without games like Gears of War, Halo, Forza, etc.? So, Playstation Home is a neat feature, but its primary function needs to be to support the games. The games really sell the console.

Although both games will be the same, using microtransaction fee based downloads is not a positive highlight.

Although both games will be the same, using microtransaction fee based downloads is not a positive highlight.

I never said it was. I was pointing out that both games will be identical out of the box and the only difference was DLC.

Im sorry but the wiimote is not revolutionary. its gimicky and to say the wii is every bit of next gen as a 360 or ps3 is pretty neive. its a kids/family console plain and simple.

as I said, I can name off a half a dozen gamers I know that ran out and bought a wii including myself who also either own a ps3 or 360 who feel the same as myself.

The Wii is NOT in the same league as the 360 and ps3. It costs half the price, has half the features, is geared towards the "family" croud and the wiimote is clever but does not make up for the lack of capabilities and power.

I'm not saying the Wii sucks. Im just saying stop comparing to to the 360 or ps3. Apples and oranges.

Listen, please don't bother to label me with words you can't even *spell* correctly, OK? You're entitled to your opinion, but the Wii is absolutely a next-gen system, and as I said, the difference is that it's user interface is what's been radically overhauled rather than its graphics system. If you want something *gimmicky*, look no further than Sixaxis or Bluray or indeed, movie playback *period* in a game console. A gimmick is something that's added to the console and does nothing to improve the gameplay experience, which can certainly be said about the items above. Arguably the tilt sensors in Sixaxis could have an impact but so far it looks pretty minimal, and it's nowhere near the massive change that the Wiimote brought with it.

now, if you want to go the "apples and oranges" route, that's fine. In this case the apple would be Wii, which is a game console, and the oranges would be the PS3 and Xbox 360, which are not games consoles but multimedia consoles. If you want to separate it like that, then Wii is, in fact, the *only* next-gen game console :p

Hmm, right now I don't think the PS3 is getting much stronger. I think this is the tough time for it right now. Sales are declining and most of the big games are far off. It has nothing to do with a chips on shoulders. Its just a statement of fact. The sales numbers and the release dates of products all point to a weak year for the PS3. Many market anaylists are saying the same. Most of these posts aren't "Sony is bad, the PS3 is going to die", its more of a discussion of what the PS3s market performance is now and what it might be in the future. The conversation took its own course after OP. To be honest, your posts make you look more like a Sony apologist than our posts make us look like bashers. In actually, many of us have stated at some point that we will probably buy a PS3, but the games just aren't there yet. I'd say that just makes us cautious consumers.

Well said, and you're exactly right. For me, there's no way I'd buy a $600 game system, well, pretty much *period*, but especially one without some heavy hitting exclusives I can't get anywhere else. I do expect to have a PS3 one day, likely when the inevitable "PS3 Slim" ships (you KNOW it's coming :p) for $299 or below. I bought PS2 when it came out and felt shafted because by the time the good titles came out (MGS2, FFX...how ironic is that?) the system had gone through a hardware revision or two and the price had dropped. The launch titles positively sucked. Same with Xbox (save for Halo, which was cool for the single player but I didn't care for the multiplayer), which didn't see the Live! service until what, a year or two later?

Wii is easy to justify because while there aren't any "must have AAA" titles yet, there are numerous *good* titles, adn the price tag is pretty low, and of course, the new way to play is a nice item as well.

I hope the PS3 survives the generation, but I also hope it stays firmly in a distant third. Sony deserves and needs to be kicked in the nuts this time for their arrogance and disregard of consumer needs. I additionally feel that attempting to turn gaming into some twisted Elitist hobby by charging such an obscene premium at the outset is flat out shameful and shouldn't be tolerated. It's bad enough 360 went to $400, PS3 for $600 is obscene.

Good graphics alone do not a good game make, on ANY system.

Even today, some of the games I enjoy the most (on various systems) have some of the shoddiest graphics by today's standards.

I grew up playing games when sprites were considered "hi-tech", and I can say that almost without exception, games today may look better, but they aren't anywhere near as much fun, no matter what console you play on. The Wii is a slight exception to that, and I applaud Nintendo for trying to put gameplay above visuals, which is how it ought to be.

I'd love to know how people were snowballed so easily into believing that graphics alone could make an awesome game, since that seems to be the case today.

I'd rather have a game that looked like it was from the 80's with awesome gameplay than another Unreal 2 with superior graphics and pathetic gameplay.

I currently do not own any of the "next gen" consoles (360, PS3 or Wii). I have an old PS2 sitting around, along with an older PS1 and an original Nintendo that still gets use today.

Personally I'm afraid of the direction things are going, especially in online gaming, but thats another thread.

Will I buy a new console? I honestly don't know yet, but I know I've got the money, and I'm not tempted to spend it on any of them at the present time.

Yet one more opinion.

you can utterly ignore anything Godofdestrcution says.
it's for your own good.

he posted in this thread, therefore a lock is in the near future.
he's the new godwin.

Do I hear PS3 fans crying? If you can ignore what I have to say why did you post? Interesting...

Perhaps you were the one looking for attention and didn't like what I had to post?

As of the moment, all that the PS3 has going for it is good graphics. I have an 8800gtx, so obviously I like good graphics too... But what happens when that is all you have?

The PS3 has neither the hardcore games of the Xbox 360 or the new gameplay of the Wii. Yeah, so it has the axis thing, but so what? What does it add?

All that it currently has it good graphics.

So it would look good on my 37" Sharp Aqous. So what? What happens after I beat Resistance? I play 1080p games just to see how good they look?

At first I bashed Wii, but I've come to enjoy. At least they try gameplay over graphics.

That's from playing a Wii at a buds house though. I imagine it would look like crap on a bigger screen....

Maybe in a couple years IF the PS3 gets good games it would be worth it.

As of now it's simply a poor mans hd-dvd/blue ray player, simply made for testing out a 1080p tv... Only with games instead of dvds.

I'd rather not mess with that, I'd rather have good gameplay.

Now go ahead, cry to the mods like you usually do, as some people just can't take the truth.

At first I bashed Wii, but I've come to enjoy. At least they try gameplay over graphics.

That's from playing a Wii at a buds house though.

So basically you just admit you bashed Wii without ever touching it. Well, there goes your credit.

Back