I swapped my order from X800XT to 6800 Ultra.

jhego

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, new member here. These are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Processor with HyperTransport Technology
ASUS A8V Deluxe - VIA K8T800 Pro Motherboard
1GB Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz
NVIDIA GeForce Ultra 6800 256MB DDR3 w/Digital and S-Video Out
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB cache
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive

I hope i made the right choice in terms of switching the vid cards. 6800 looks pretty promising. But also worried that since X800XT has higher GPU speed, memory speed, fill rate and memory bandwidth that they can just upgrade the drivers and stomp Nvidia.

I hafta support this move, you'll be much happier with both FarCry and Doom3, and halo ain't too shabby either.

I'm still an avid ATi supporter, but at thsi very moment, for a gamer, I hafta swap my story and go GeForce 68xx.

Wow, has the whole Doom 3 benchmarks made an impact on switching to Nvidia. It kinda made an impact on me.

You made the right choice.

Think about it.

You get about the same DX performance, much faster OGL performance.

Shader Model 3.0
FP16 blending for HDR Lighting
Ability to use full trilinear filtering
128-bit shader precision
Ultrashadow II for Doom3 engine games

You get more card at the same speed for the same price.

Im probably going the other way. I currently have the bfg 6800gt, upgraded from 9800xt, and have been experiencing some fps drops. Probably because of my subpar 250w psu. My 9800xt ran flawlessly on it, and the x800xt is supposed to use even less power. So luckily, I still have my gateway.com order for the x800xt($398). With a little more luck it might even ship! As of last week, the csr said my date was 7/29. I still have until the 9th to return the 6800gt incase I change my mind. That doom 3 benchmark is bothering my a little right now. Im sure I'll be happy with either one. Here's another link to check out too.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/6800andX800XT/index.htm

rhoel said:
Im probably going the other way. I currently have the bfg 6800gt, upgraded from 9800xt, and have been experiencing some fps drops. Probably because of my subpar 250w psu. My 9800xt ran flawlessly on it, and the x800xt is supposed to use even less power. So luckily, I still have my gateway.com order for the x800xt($398). With a little more luck it might even ship! As of last week, the csr said my date was 7/29. I still have until the 9th to return the 6800gt incase I change my mind. That doom 3 benchmark is bothering my a little right now. Im sure I'll be happy with either one. Here's another link to check out too.

Ummm.. buy a new power supply?

rhoel said:

Buy a new PSU or try driver cleaning/formatting, 6800gt trounces the 9800xt.

Already did a full reinstall of XP. I already suspect it's the psu, I'll get a new one if the gateway deal falls thru. The 6800gt is already more expensive, in this case, than the x800xt for me. Not sure if I want to spend even more money for just the possibility of fixing the problem. The x800xt is costing me $398 free shipping and no tax and my BFG from Fry's is 399.99 plus 32.40 tax for a total of $432.39. I'm thinking that adding the cost of a quality psu and it just ends up not being worth it. I just wanted a "cheap" upgrade anyway. I got my 9800xt for $189 due to a misprint in april and just sold it for $330. I really didn't want to spend more than a $100 cause I'm gonna build a new system at the end of next year. That's what my wife tells me anyway! Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just realized I was rambling. Thanks for the input anyway.

Back