I spy with my little eye.. 3960x

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
A 3960x in stock at Microcenter Marietta, GA. Get in the car and drive fast if you want it. I got the other one. No motherboards but at least they had two chips. They wont let me buy both or I totally would to sell to other [H] members to help out.

20191129_081937.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like they are filtering out. Memory Express in Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg show a couple in stock today. None available online.

Nice find tangoseal ! Hope you can find a nice motherboard to go with it soon.

I’ll have a laugh if you get your threadripper system online before I can finish with this 3900x you decided to part with. :)

Nice find tangoseal ! Hope you can find a nice motherboard to go with it soon.

I’ll have a laugh if you get your threadripper system online before I can finish with this 3900x you decided to part with. :)

I might order Gbyte master on newegg

I also need 16 more gigs of dom plat 3600 c18 b die otherwise I'm stuck at dual channel

Microcenter was completely out and wed night had a shelf full.

I was going to drive to Marietta Georgia from Memphis this weekend on the "chance" to get a CPU, but decided against it. I can get more work done on the system this weekend so it'll be ready for the CPU when I eventually get it

the cpus come in cardboard boxes so techinically.....

Good one ha !

upload_2019-11-29_13-50-22.png

So I checked inventory and the other 3960x sold. I hope a [H[ member got it. But it was probably a local Atlanta wccftech forum troll that bought it knowing that chips luck he will probably put 1.59 volts through it to get l33t overclocks and blow it up and then say his 8700k is superior in every way.

Last edited:

I already have that bookmarked and I've used it before but I'm using Distill right now so each site offering the 3950X is queried every 10 seconds and, if the site says something like "add to cart", or "In stock" it alerts me via text and a loud-assed BUZZZZ from my computer, lol. I'm not above running back from the toilet with a log hanging out to click "Buy it Now".

You are going to absolutely LOVE it!

This chip can h265 like a fuckn monster gone ape shit!

It can game just as good as a damn 9900k. I cant tell the difference in gaming between this cpu and my 3900x I just sold. These Threadripper 3's are outerworldly monsters.
how much power is it pulling with all them cores maxed?

how much power is it pulling with all them cores maxed?

im not manually OC'ing but around 200 watts for the chip and another 80 for the lanes so under power about 280 watts

I havent even pushed it to 70c under full load extended. This XSPC waterblock is doing a great job. That and the 7 x 120 worth of radiator cooling. 1 4x120 swiftech and 1 3x120 EK radiator working to cool all of this down and the 2080ti is on the loop too.

I need another set of ram, im only in dual channel right now.

im not manually OC'ing but around 200 watts for the chip and another 80 for the lanes so under power about 280 watts

I havent even pushed it to 70c under full load extended. This XSPC waterblock is doing a great job. That and the 7 x 120 worth of radiator cooling. 1 4x120 swiftech and 1 3x120 EK radiator working to cool all of this down and the 2080ti is on the loop too.

Grats! Surprisingly good temps.
Keen to see the per core testing for chiplet binning..

This just makes me want to get one next time I'm over the ocean and slap it on the spare chiller at HQ.

throw up another picture when ya get a chance....sounds pretty hardcore

I'm curious what's the max vcore you could push with that setup with an all core OC as that is probably as good of a loop as you can get. It'd be interesting to see what the practical limits are.

I just joined the club as well. Central Computer here in Sunnyvale had 3960x in stock. I picked up the last one, however the manager told me they received 10 a week ago and it took until today for them to go out. In contrast they have a waiting list of close to 100 people for the 3950x but have not received a single unit.

I also was pleasantly surprised that they had some TRX40 motherboards.

I am looking forward to firing this thing up as a hopefully massive upgrade from my intel 4930k desktop.

Reactions: noko
like this
I just joined the club as well. Central Computer here in Sunnyvale had 3960x in stock. I picked up the last one, however the manager told me they received 10 a week ago and it took until today for them to go out. In contrast they have a waiting list of close to 100 people for the 3950x but have not received a single unit.

I also was pleasantly surprised that they had some TRX40 motherboards.

I am looking forward to firing this thing up as a hopefully massive upgrade from my intel 4930k desktop.

I hear people saying the same thing around here...Still though...as high as demand is, it only took me 7 business days to find one to order...that's not bad.

Kinda want a 3960X now though, LOL ;)

Yeah I'm pretty excited. It was a bit of an impulse decision... I spent too much of last week trying to find a 3950x (without success) and wanted to have something in place before having to travel for the holidays. It's just an opinion but I do not believe AMD is shipping 3950x processors in meaningful quantities.

The first new computer I bought with my own money was a Compaq Deskpro XL 590. It took two summers of lawn mowing money to buy that $4,000 desktop but let me tell you, that was more computer than most other teenagers would see for years. I loved it and still have it. Since then, I've upgraded upgraded upgraded, and seen prices fall from the stratosphere to multicore fully equipped laptops for $500. All the while I've kind of toed the ~ $1500 line for no reason (since I could have either afforded more, or gotten by with less.) So this feels kind of like a distant successor to that old Deskpro... hence excitement :)

I just bought a 3700x to replace a 6850k and now this thing shows up....good thing i have no need for a million threads but having a bunch of lanes for nvme drives would be nice

Early impressions are just astounding. I think if I could disable all but 4 cores, it'd still be faster than my 4930k, with the additional 20 cores being icing on the cake. Heck it's all icing.

I'm a little surprised the motherboards have so few PCIe slots. I understand there is so much on board storage I/O that external storage controllers perhaps are not so critical. That said, I am dropping in a GPU, 10GbE NIC and a sound card and that axes 3 slots right off the bat. Things sure have changed since the days that HEDT also meant 6, 7 or 8 card slots.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Back