I shouldn't really just browse Ebay.. New video card won

That is a nice price on the triple fan 1070. No surprise it fit into your case, and that the Dell PSU powers it. PCIe connector has it's own 18-amp rail. Plus the other one ran your rx580 which is a more power hungry GPU. Thought about getting a 1070 for my own T3500 but could not stomach price of a new card. One that would be somewhat bottlenecked by the older X58 platform.

[edit]
The W3680 is a 32nm Westmere by the way. Not a 45nm Nehalem. Can be confusing since Intel went back to the "W" designation for the later single QPI Westmeres destined for workstations.

Last edited:
Figured I'd run this as well for my own amusement:

View attachment 128603

"Everybody wave to the bottleneck" ;)

(Nehalem & Sata2 FTW!)

bye.jpg

Bye-bye bottleneck! :cool:

(sorry for the necro, but come on....heh)

Reactions: Auer
like this
LOL so right. I was actually leaning towards Radeon 7. But fricking browsing today some dude was selling ROG Strix 2080 for 700, he has like 10+ available. Hopefully someone didn't hack his account he did have 311 (100% feedback). Not worried about the money since I charged it to my CC. I had 50 ebay bucks and ended up being 650 out the door for brand new sealed box. These once clock close to 2100 out of the box and have a higher power limit.

So you are right if I wasn't just browsing eBay today I would not have bought it. I had bought a Zotac earlier but it had random black screen flash, where it would time go black for a second and come back randomly. Zotac was open box though and didn't allow 125% power limit.

Damn that's a good price. That card is over 1k US here.

Yea. I honestly wanna give my money to AMD but they will get that for zen 2 for sure lol. If this card doesn't give me any issues will be keeping it and giving my money to AMD next round. I honestly didn't wanna spend the 850 retail. Since most cards are power limited I wanted one that can be pushed to its limits and had a higher power limit. Zotac card only did about 111% more power. I think it was a steal for 650 or even 700 for that matter. Since these go for like 850+ tax retail.

I actually read a review on newegg for one of these cards. Someone left a one star review because the card was hitting 2100mhz on the core when it was suppose to be 1890mhz boost in OC mode. ROFL. I was like is this dude really bitching about card being 200mhz faster in OC mode? Can't believe he left a 1 star review because of that.

What do you guys think of running a Vega 64 in a T3600 with the 635W psu?

Dell specs 300w max draw for a GPU but I've read reviews where the 64 has gone well North of that....

I suppose I could just get a 1080 but I like AMD too and have a freesync monitor.

Well I dropped a RTX 2070 PNY OC in the ole T3600 and it's working out pretty well.

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_7614_1552484802.png

Nehalem CPUs are fine for these GPU's
GPU is always limiting factor, especially if you run highest detail modes.
I would not worry too much about it.

Quite the blanket statement considering the single biggest difference here is going to be "what games do you play?" Nehalem will absolutely cripple your performance in games like BF1/BF5/BO4 as well as plenty others regardless of what GPU you have paired with it.

GTX 1070s are great cards. I'm still waiting for a GPU that is worth replacing it with, even at 1440p.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Quite the blanket statement considering the single biggest difference here is going to be "what games do you play?" Nehalem will absolutely cripple your performance in games like BF1/BF5/BO4 as well as plenty others regardless of what GPU you have paired with it.

It's more then that though. I mean, if I were the OP I'd just want a more modern chipset that supports USB 3.1, SATA 6, NVMe, etc. That's mostly why I upgraded from my Sandy Bridge hardware.

Back