I setup Windows Home Server but have a few questions

When I want to install another hard drive, will it show it has one large amount or two seperate drives?

There is a media share feature, how do I actually put media in these folders?

I haven't installed my copy yet, but I was under the impression you'd see the unformatted disk appear in the drive list, and then you could add it to the pool of total storage. As for the media share, I would assume there are specific folders to put music, pictures, etc in.

I haven't installed my copy yet, but I was under the impression you'd see the unformatted disk appear in the drive list, and then you could add it to the pool of total storage. As for the media share, I would assume there are specific folders to put music, pictures, etc in.

That's correct. An important point is that anything you put on the server you need to put on via the network path, and it will take care of distributing it properly, deduplicating it, making it redundant (if you opted to do so), etc. Don't just copy stuff to c$, etc.

Yep, that's how an added drive works.

As far as the media share, when you install the client software on person machine, it will create a desktop icon called shared folders. You can use this to access the media folders to copy files to. I will reiterate what OldPueblo said, make sure you copy files to the shares over the network path and not directly on the server.

Also (to go back on what I said) I'd be wary of storing data on the WHS via the network path until the Power Pack comes out. There is a data corruption bug that will be fixed in the Power Pack, you can read all about it here:

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/

For now I'm just storing my stuff in regular created shares and using the automated backup system. When the pack comes out, I'll go back to using the WHS file redirector.

The beta power pack IS out now. Of course, it's just a beta. I am wary myself about putting in multiple drives until I see how well this beta is going to work out.

The beta power pack IS out now. Of course, it's just a beta. I am wary myself about putting in multiple drives until I see how well this beta is going to work out.

I have very high hopes, I love WHS. But I don't have the time to mess with testing the power pack, so I figure I've waited a while and can wait just a little longer before I move my data to it. My WHS has four 200GB drives that I just had laying around, so that's why I worried about the bug.

I installed the beta power pack and about 50 of my shared files ended up with conflicts and are essentially gone. So if you do install it, back up all your data first.

Good to know. I've been holding out till it is released, but they keep sending me emails about the "new beta powerpack" releases.

I'm running Server 2008 on my Home Server until the Power Pack is released as final, and I read some reviews online to say it has solved the corruption issues. For now, my WHS copy is more of a display item on my desk than anything else.

I'm running Server 2008 on my Home Server until the Power Pack is released as final, and I read some reviews online to say it has solved the corruption issues. For now, my WHS copy is more of a display item on my desk than anything else.

The automated backup portion still works just fine, and you can just not add any drives into the pool and do regular shares on them until its time to install the final power pack.

Back