i screwed up, help!

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
when installing my new system, was putting arctic silver on cpu, was raisign my hand after setting cpu and a little tiny bit of the grease got on the memory slot ( #3) will i be able to use this slot, clean it? how? HELP PLZ :)

Use as much isopropyl alcohol as you need to use to make sure you get ALL of the AS5 out of that slot.. There are other more advanced cleaning solutions out there, but iso-al works just fine and is a crapload cheaper..

I helped a friend build his system (Ok.. I *made* him build it himself.. LOL!!) and he did the same thing.. It took about two hours to be absolutely sure it was cleaned out, but, it worked and the board runs great with no problems..

1. Clean as much of the AS5 off as you can with a DRY q-tip or cotton swab.. The wetness of the alcohol will tend to smear it a bit..

2. Dip the q-tip in alcohol, squeeze the tip so it's not soaked, and dab at the AS5 as much as possible..

3. If there is AS5 deep in the socket, you will need to THOROUGHLY clean the slot using any means necessary, including a folded handkerchief, PLASTIC toothpicks, etc.. Wooden toothpicks can break off or leave shavings that can also be left behind and cause harm.. You can even use one of those REALLY old Nintendo 8-bit slot cleaners, too..

4. Insert and remove a stick of ram several times when you THINK you have it cleaned and make sure there is no residue on the ram stick..

If anyone else has any "tricks of the trade", please share them..

cleaned it last night and ram works fine. :) TY all i about had a heart attack

What would happen anywho if you didnt clean it all out? Would the slot not work or would you have electrical issues?

What would happen anywho if you didnt clean it all out? Would the slot not work or would you have electrical issues?

AS5 can be conductive. It could cause a short and kill the memory and/or the board, or it could just cause some data problems. It's best not to find out!

Back