I recently bought the hottie video cards, here it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a person who is still rockin 8800GTX SLI,i feel this thread has brought to light that people think just because tech is "old" it doesnt run new things very well.

first off F crysis! nobody cares about this sub par fps with "amazing graphics".

i can run dragons age and borderlands at 1600x1200 and 1680x1050 (dual mon LCD+CRT) with everything turned up just fine with very minimal <30fps drops. RE5 runs at a solid 55fps and SF4 also runs in the 60-80fps range.

these cards have lasted me far longer then i would think a card or set of cards would these days, in fact at over 3 years old they have past how long i ran my voodoo2 SLI.
i forsee myself getting a new card soon but that just means i build a new box to put that in and keep this as a system for inpromptu lan partys and such.
I couldn't agree more with ya. I was rocking a 8800 GTX Ultra for 2+ years until it fried. Considering I paid 750 bucks for it, And nowadays a card less than half that price will deliver 3+ times performance, I just had to go with what's bang for buck at the time. If the Ultra didn't die, I'd probabaly wait for nvidia's response to 5800's. I'm still trying to make my cpu/mobo last as long as I can til new games that come out where I'll have to upgrade. Hope it'll be a few years....I might just try that oven baking thing on my Ultra, and who knows, if it works I'll have something to use for physx.

Whoa, whoa, whoaa. this thread is already spotlight star! I notice this forum of peeps aren't very friendly and talk neg about my 2XGTS 250.

But you guys need calm down..

First of all, I was owner 9500gt before bought 2X GTS 250.

Second, I jump from console to rig. I really tried of my 1st and 2rd xbox 360 ended up to got RODD. Now i have the third xbox 360. I dont want to keep speand my $$ on another console if it get rodd again. . No thank about PS3, if you asked/or recommended me. I never will get PS3, period. You knew all consoles will die in few years. console will become outdated, sooner. I bet you guys will see PC gaming rise again from the dead in few years. Now, all PC games support the xbox 360 controller. RIG and Games remain, win, and still ALIVE!

Third, PC games's super graphics are above all console's game graphics. Even 9800GTX beat console's gpu.

Four, some people said that I would be regrets if I purchased 2 GTS 250. and better take it back. Get another single GPU instead of 2X GPU. Ahh, No thanks, I am gonna keep 2X GTS 250 SLI. I want to experiment and experince with SLI for fun. I dislike to have single gpu like the rest of you guys.. I can see some of you are not true gamer like rest of us who are stay true gamers and have mutli GPU SLI in their rig.

I never feel regerts about 2X GTS 250 and steal a deal $313.90 instead of buy the stupid xbox elite console. ;)

I already decided with MSI nForce Mainboard:

b_164903.jpg

My rig-

b_192700.jpg

Whoa, whoa, whoaa. this thread is already spotlight star! I notice this forum of peeps aren't very friendly and talk neg about my 2XGTS 250.

But you guys need calm down..

First of all, I was owner 9500gt before bought 2X GTS 250.

Second, I jump from console to rig. I really tried of my 1st and 2rd xbox 360 ended up to got RODD. Now i have the third xbox 360. I dont want to keep speand my $$ on another console if it get rodd again. . No thank about PS3, if you asked/or recommended me. I never will get PS3, period. You knew all consoles will die in few years. console will become outdated, sooner. I bet you guys will see PC gaming rise again from the dead in few years. Now, all PC games support the xbox 360 controller. RIG and Games remain, win, and still ALIVE!

Third, PC games's super graphics are above all console's game graphics. Even 9800GTX beat console's gpu.

Four, some people said that I would be regrets if I purchased 2 GTS 250. and better take it back. Get another single GPU instead of 2X GPU. Ahh, No thanks, I am gonna keep 2X GTS 250 SLI. I want to experiment and experince with SLI for fun. I dislike to have single gpu like the rest of you guys.. I can see some of you are not true gamer like rest of us who are stay true gamers and have mutli GPU SLI in their rig.

I never feel regerts about 2X GTS 250 and steal a deal $313.90 instead of buy the stupid xbox elite console. ;)

well, good luck then if you are not feeling regret..

something to let you know, a true gamer never buy old stuff.

a single GTX 280/4890/4870/GTX 275 for less price will outperform your card easily like no tomorrow, no idea where you got your confident from with your "TRUE GAMER".

I am a hardcore gamer, and I had various multi-GPU experience.
I had my nvidia setup
8800 GTX SLI, GTX 260 SLI, GTX 295...
ATI setup
4870CF, 4870X2, 5870s

and I am heading for a 5970 right now..

I don't call myself "true gamer", but I can tell you multi-GPU with old stuff will get you nowhere. especially something that is 2-3 generation old and slow. (rebrand from 9800 GTX+ and 8800 GTS)

if you still think this make you a true gamer and feel confident about your spending..

good luck with that.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Don't "true gamers" care about performance among other things?

As oppose to simply amassing equipment, for $310.00 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857.

I would have thought so but it seem that only "true gamers" spend top dollar for outdated hardware and two of them at that!

Meh. I would have bought a 5850 and called it a day. At least then I'd have a video card that could last a while longer with current games and games on the (near) horizon.

well, good luck then if you are not feeling regret..

a single GTX 280/4890/4870/GTX 275 for less price will outperform your card easily like no tomorrow, no idea where you got your confident from with your "TRUE GAMER".

I am a hardcore gamer, and I had various multi-GPU experience.
I had my nvidia setup
8800 GTX SLI, GTX 260 SLI, GTX 295...
ATI setup
4870CF, 4870X2, 5870s

and I am heading for a 5970 right now..

I don't call myself "true gamer", but I can tell you multi-GPU with old stuff will get you nowhere. especially something that is 2-3 generation old and slow. (rebrand from 9800 GTX+ and 8800 GTS)

if you still think this make you a true gamer and feel confident about your spending..

good luck with that.... :rolleyes:
you see bold, Both GTS 250 and 9800GTX werent rebrand from 8800 GTS. yawn.. 8800GTS is different specs and clock than 9800GTX & GTS 250..

Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 SLI: Cheaper and Faster Than GeForce GTX 285?

Meh, I feel in replying here I'm just participating in the special olympics, but anyway...

I found several reviews of the GTS 250 that showed a 4870 being 50% faster than it... And the 4870 is very close to the same price...

So, you want to pay >$100+ (before new mobo) for probably the same performance just so you can experience SLI???

Have fun with your microstutter...

After going from a 4870 to a 4870x2 to a 5870, I can tell you microstutter is real... The single-GPU cards are just smoother...

Wait 'til he finds out not everything benefits from SLI anyway... Paying for SLI (and a new mobo) and getting single-GPU performance is going to happen when you least desire it...

If your wanting to "experience" SLI/Crossfire, make sure that you have 2 powerful video cards. Not all games will scale well with SLI/Crossfire and you want to make sure that when you come accross these games you have enough power in 1 video card to run it well. Take my GTX 285's for example. When SLI scales well (and in most titles it does) I get insane fps/levels of AA. But in the few games where it doesnt scale well I can still play the game at very high settings and get solid FPS. The idea behind getting 2 low-end cards and running them in a multi-gpu setup so they equal 1 high end card is flawed. Usually the cost of the 2 cards plus the sli/crossfire capable motherboard is > the cost of the 1 highend card (In this case 2 GTS 250's = 1 HD4870/GTX 275~.

As far as micro-stutter goes: So far I have used 2 4850's in Crossfire and 2 GTX 285's in SLI, never seen this mythical micro-stutter.

you see bold, Both GTS 250 and 9800GTX werent rebrand from 8800 GTS. yawn.. 8800GTS is different specs and clock than 9800GTX & GTS 250..

uh....? no idea what you trying to say there.. and why cant you use ATI?

GTS 250 SLI is no where near what they have on there...

plus, xbitlab's review is pretty bad, one of those review that no one reads...

if you are in [H], you should have been reading some articles and reviews here, but I am not quite sure what get in your mind telling you GTS 250 SLI is a better solution than other cards..

bottom line, there must be something wrong when you think its "good" choice but majority of people in the thread says the opposite, especially in [H]..

If you still think you are right, then I guess there is nothing that can change your mind until you actually use one of those "high-end cards" instead of low-end multi-GPU setup...

As far as micro-stutter goes: So far I have used 2 4850's in Crossfire and 2 GTX 285's in SLI, never seen this mythical micro-stutter.

But have you used a single-GPU card? Or just SLI configs?

You won't notice it 'til you start using single-GPU setups. It's just smoother.

I had a 7800GTX SLI setup, then a 8800GTX SLI setup. Didn't think anything of it 'til I went with a single 4870. Very smooth. Then went with a 4870x2. Now have a 5870. The 5870 isn't a serious upgrade, obviously, but it certainly is smoother.

I certainly prefer my 5870 over my 4870x2.

But if you only use SLI/dual-GPU configs, you're not going to realize what it is...

Use an SLI/dual-GPU config and then a single-GPU config where both are the same performance... It's not a mind-blowing dealbreaker, but all things being equal, you'll go with the single-GPU config...

That HAWX benchies show how SLI sometimes is a crutch...

Still interesting that a 4870 is close to the price of a single GTS 250 yet almost has the performance of GTS 250 SLI... Fallout 3 being an excellent example, where a single 4870 beats the GTS 250 SLI...

I had a 7800GTX SLI setup, then a 8800GTX SLI setup. Didn't think anything of it 'til I went with a single 4870. Very smooth. Then went with a 4870x2. Now have a 5870. The 5870 isn't a serious upgrade, obviously, but it certainly is smoother.

But if you only use SLI/dual-GPU configs, you're not going to realize what it is...

Use an SLI/dual-GPU config and then a single-GPU config where both are the same performance... It's not a mind-blowing dealbreaker, but all things being equal, you'll go with the single-GPU config...

Video card history:

X1950XT
HD 4850 Crossfire
HD 4870 1GB
GTX 285 SLI

Besides the increased FPS with an sli/crossfire setup, no difference at all.

Video card history:

X1950XT
HD 4850 Crossfire
HD 4870 1GB
GTX 285 SLI

Besides the increased FPS with an sli/crossfire setup, no difference at all.

try Crysis Warhead at the beach and the tunnel right after you defeat the first alien boss..

you will definitely see some extreme stutter there... if you don't, that just mean you got a lucky eye where you don't see much frame as others.. :D

i have to put my 2 cents in this and say GMERGOD your very cocky. Yes they were a tad bit harsh in a sense but they were only telling you the truth. you paid 320 bucks on outdated 250's when a 310 dollar 5850 would of ate those cards period plus you get DX11.

How do you classify yourself as a "TRUE GAMER" a truw gamer doesnt buy outdated products and is always striving for the best performance.

anyways instead of being cocky you should listen to what people have to say before jumping the whoa whoa whoa you guys are rude and jerks nonsense. + id hate to tell you but ATI is leading the video card market as we speak :)

L4D2 below 40-50 is just way too hard to aim for accuracy, not quite sure what exactly is your setup is going on with your setup. maybe its because your OC is too extreme.
I am running mine on 700/1640/1100.

for Dragon Age, what exactly is your AA up to? 8xAA? because thats what I tested and not going anywhere near your numbers.

about MW2, the fps is unacceptable for some part on max setting, especially the stutter..

Like I said a few times, my rig consists of Q9550 @ 4.3Ghz, 4GB DDR2 960 5-5-4-15, and the GTX running on 815/2026/1225. I had the card modded to handle 895/2150/1275 but ran into temp walls then overclocking walls.

As for Dragon Age, Like i said once again I have AA to 4X but for some reason I cant open the configure tool without it crashing with a stopped responding error. I am 85% sure its 4X since thats the average AA I leave for most games.

For Mw2 when stutter wasn't ruining gameplay, It ran perfectly fine around 55-75 frames.

Judging from people chiming in about their experiences with G92, I say we all are getting different performance from the card some better than others. Even with my E5200 the card did very well.

Maybe you and the catdeath user can download a benchmark tool and run it. I'm a little perplexed at both of your performance levels with your cards as well. Gaming with the rig in sig at 1920 by 1080 4xAA 16 AF and I still get dips in Crysis to the 20fps occasionally. As for Dragon Age it average above 60fps but if you go stand in flames, such as the burning tower level, or stand in fog such as warden's keep, it will dip into to 20 fps as well.

As for PS3, I'm just going to report him and if more folks do it, he will be banned. Same thing happened with Sonda.

Like I said, for Crysis I was basing my experience through the first 4 levels and benchmark which is the only thing I would correct myself and take back. As for Dragon Age I am still in the starter levels of my new character, This weekend I will have some more time to play and finish the story on that character and actually record that level. I did not recall dipping under 40 frames during that level only variable I can think of is that I had a shoulder view camera.

I consider myself a true gamer and if older tech plays games just well for my liking then it stays. Granted I have picked up more hobbies that are taking up more time than my gaming habbit now a days.

Just because someone takes their investments wisely does not make them not a ''true gamer''. I can go right now and get my build together with every top component out there but for myself I would rather wait and continue playing on my current rig that serves me well. Just the same way people ask me why did I put a LS1/T56 in my 92 Camaro instead of just getting a fourth generation and building that up. Sorry for bringing nonsense but I just found it ironic.

Last edited:
you guys should just let him maintain his illusion that he's a true gamer while you guys game on your rigs that are more powerful than his lol

Just like you're username thats a load of fail, Never knew Gamer and Tech Guy are the same thing.

This thread really went into a different direction than what it was intended for.

Last edited:
I disagree

Huge difference in smoothness concerning multi-gpu vs. single-gpu

I've come to the conclusion that it must have something to do with other components or setups. I've used mainly single GPU's and this is only my second SLI setup within the last 6 months. I can't say I've noticed any stutter, even when I was running x16 + x4 on the EVGA X58 LE.

back on topic, I say give the OP a break, he just sounds really stoked with his upgrade.
Enjoy mate.

/goes to restroom during intermission
/hopes he doesn't miss anything.. :D

I disagree

Huge difference in smoothness concerning multi-gpu vs. single-gpu

This is in reference to microstuttering.

I've owned a 7950GX2, a 4870 crossfire and now a 5970 all multigpu and none have presented microsuttering.

I suspect that it does exist but is more pronounced at lower frame rates where the time between frames is large and uneven timing will be more obvious. At higher frame rates like 60fps+ it ceases to be noticeable which is the kind of frame rates these cards are capable of anyway!

But to me in most games 30fps average is a bad minimum to have and I see stuttering and it doesn't seem smooth to me anyway, multigpu or not. After I got my 5970 Im getting about 200fps in TF2 at 2560x1600 and the 2 4870s always struggled a little in this game at high settings.

I forgot just how much of a difference a high frame rate like 200fps feels compared to something like 30fps, there is a MASSIVE difference, for a long time I've accepted sub standard frame rates in order to game at 2560x1600, but back to using nice high frame rates is really nice, when you're at 100+ it's so smooth, especially if you're playing TF2 as a fast scout and legging it everywhere like crazy.

back on topic, I say give the OP a break, he just sounds really stoked with his upgrade.
Enjoy mate.
Totally agree with this

The OP is just enjoying his new hardware, and then I started seeing all the post telling how how wrong he was. I know you guys probably meant well initially, but as long as it serves him well and he's happy with it, I don't see any problem there.

I myself own a 9800GTX+, and I still don't have any issues with newer games like Serious Sam HD, its not the greatest, but it works. I don't know what qualifies a person as a true gamer lol, but I consider myself a gamer, and I don't think older hardware makes me or anyone any lesser as a gamer:p

Just my 2 cents

Well people here have been trying to make the OP feel like a Oscar Meyer Weiner when in fact, the gts250 is quite a capable card. I think their overall intentions are good but if the op is happy then he is happy.

Well people here have been trying to make the OP feel like a Oscar Meyer Weiner when in fact, the gts250 is quite a capable card. I think their overall intentions are good but if the op is happy then he is happy.

In case you missed the OP's first post, he was fist pumping "whoooo, whoooo" about two "hotties." It's like you bringing your crap ass bike http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8730/gpuzx.jpg out to the corner stoplight, and revving the engine, only to be schooled moments later by some high school kid on a Ninja.

That isn't my bike, but I wish it was...but that is my desktop background. That bike doesn't even have carbs on it, so yah, it will be beat by a ninja - I would never put those grips on my bike as well. Best to keep the classics stock.

No thanks, ATI is not for me.. I am happy with 200 series.. Yawn...

Um!? for less than the price of your two GT 250s and the mobo, you could've had THIS or THIS. But I guess that would've have been beneath you, since you're a "true gamer". Single cards and ATI... SUCK!

I'll hold my head down in shame... as I "fake gamer" myself with my 5870... :( I HATE myself... i should've bought 8 GT 210s and 4 motherboards for TRUE GAMER action...

back on topic, I say give the OP a break, he just sounds really stoked with his upgrade.Enjoy mate.

I agree, but if someone says "I'm going to ski down the expert slope. I got me a cardboard box", won't you feel obliged to say "That may not be the best way to enjoy yourself down this steep slope. You might want to get something more 'substantial'".

He is happy... so happy in fact that he won't listen to reason. The reason being: "There were better, much more fruitful, ways for the OP to spend his money".

Last edited:
Would people of reacted the same if he bought 2 1GB Radeon 4850's?

Remember he's not only getting the video cards, but additional hardware (and software - mobo swap = new OS:eek:) to support the video cards.

Seeing that he could've spent the money wiser... yes... yes, I would've reacted the same way.

ok, OP overpaid. but he is happy.

what's the big deal? as long as he's happy who cares?

GTS 250 rebrand of 8800gtx/9800gtx (smaller die).

he could've just bought 2 9800GTX for around $100 each.. right?

not all games support SLI, and he might have microstuttering problems. i had a GTX 295 and hated it because games felt less smooth. went back to my trusty GTX 285 OC

yes OP would've been better off with 1 GTX 285 or 1 Radeon 5850. that way, he can add another GPU down the line once prices drop even more to do crossfire or SLI

but the main point here is that he's happy.

I mention the 4850's because they offer basically the same performance as the GTS250, and Tom's Hardware believes (not that I completely agree) that anything more than 2x4850's is overkill, wanted to see if a videocard double standard existed.

I mention the 4850's because they offer basically the same performance as the GTS250, and Tom's Hardware believes (not that I completely agree) that anything more than 2x4850's is overkill, wanted to see if a videocard double standard existed.
video card double standard does not exist. Just overpaying for performance and getting schooled by [H] forums exists. If you buy 2 of these http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+A...21.p?id=1218069452028&skuId=9254521&st=radeon 4850&cp=1&lp=2 at $169 plus tax each, and come on the forums asking if it was a good deal, then you willl get bashed...especially when you can get 2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102866&Tpk=4860 for much less

I've come to the conclusion that it must have something to do with other components or setups. I've used mainly single GPU's and this is only my second SLI setup within the last 6 months. I can't say I've noticed any stutter, even when I was running x16 + x4 on the EVGA X58 LE.

Computer1:7800GTX SLI>8800GTX SLI>4870>4870x2
Computert2:9800GTX+>4870>4870x2>5870

Both exhibited the stutter coming and going in single vs. multi-GPU setups... All other things being equal, I'd say it's the video card?

back on topic, I say give the OP a break, he just sounds really stubborn and just let him buy whatever he wants. It's his money, after all.
Enjoy mate.

There, I fixed that for you.

Just like you're username thats a load of fail, Never knew Gamer and Tech Guy are the same thing.

This thread really went into a different direction than what it was intended for.

my user name is appropriate vis a vis this thread being full of Fail

OP spent over $300 on 2 cards because he wanted SLI, when there were other options available that offer a more powerful solution than the one he purchased.

This is the [H]ardforum, where being a gamer and being a tech guy go hand in hand more often than not. Not saying every member is a know all, i'm certainly not, just that the majority probably have a good working knowledge of what's on the up and up if they read enough hardware articles or reviews or browse the threads on here.

PC gamers are more often then now tech guys. Consoles gamers on the other hand, not necessarily.

Well you went from a older to newer generation card each time, of course it will be smoother. Better min FPS. From what I've seen, depending on how the game takes advantage of dual GPU, you may get better average FPS but the same minimum as a single card. This results in less fluid gameplay as FPS jumps from high to low.

I've always been a single card user and recently jumped from a 5870 to a 5970 which is dual GPU. It's just as smooth. There's some games that don't play nice with Crossfire so the FPS can be erratic but drivers will fix that in time. 99% of my games have no issue though.

Last edited:
PC gamers are more often then now tech guys. Consoles gamers on the other hand, not necessarily.

I resent that...
back in the day, I had to periodically "blow" into the cartridge contacts of my games to get them to work. On really bad days, it was a cotton swab and alcohol. There were, at a minimum, 3 cables to connect. 4 if you had a friend. The RF adapter required constant 'tweaking'.

Nowadays, with wireless tech, there's only TWO cables to really install. And don't get me started on the packaging. You need an associates in engineering to take a console out of the box without tearing any of the origami packaging. A bachelor's if you want to repackage without any bulges...

:D

Last edited:
The only explanation for this thread is that the OP realized he overpaid for outdated technology and came to post here to comfort his ego and to find someone who will justify his purchase.

This "true gamer" horsecrap proves it. If he was a real gamer he should have done the proper research to know what the relative price/performance ratios of most cards in the market are. But then again there have been plenty of uninformed consumers buying video cards powered by year old chips just because they have 1GB of memory, so he is par for the course on that.

Also there is a difference between being happy with a purchase and trying to delude yourself about being happy with it while ignoring facts and common sense. His "Yawn..." horsecrap proves it.

The only other possibility is that he is a troll seeking attention. If he is that, then he can be happy about achieving his goal.

I resent that...
back in the day, I had to periodically "blow" into the cartridge contacts of my games to get them to work. On really bad days, it was a cotton swab and alcohol. There were, at a minimum, 3 cables to connect. 4 if you had a friend. The RF adapter required constant 'tweaking'.

Nowadays, with wireless tech, there's only TWO cables to really install. And don't get me started on the packaging. You need an associates in engineering to take a console out of the box without tearing any of the origami packaging. A bachelor's if you want to repackage without any bulges...

I had to insert two cartridges into my Nintendo :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back