I ran Cinebench on all CPUs I could

I am happy to know my Skylake is still competitive and I hope it stays that way for the next 5 years.

Cinebench R20, 2 x E5-2667v3 @ 3.2Ghz: 5946
Screenshot (1).png

You can get a lot for the dollar by buying old stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeo
like this
Stock 7820X

upload_2020-1-1_16-48-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-1_16-42-47.png
    upload_2020-1-1_16-42-47.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Cinebench R20, 2 x E5-2667v3 @ 3.2Ghz: 5904

You can get a lot for the dollar by buying old stuff.
Yeah but getting a proper dual slot MB is not exactly cheap. Unless you try your luck with chinese knockoff boards.
And if gaming is a concern then these old xeons are not the best choice.
From a bit more you can build a 3700x config.

Yeah but getting a proper dual slot MB is not exactly cheap. Unless you try your luck with chinese knockoff boards.
And if gaming is a concern then these old xeons are not the best choice.
From a bit more you can build a 3700x config.

The idea isn't that you're buying old new CPUs. You're buying an entire old build. In which case you will save hundreds, and maybe even a thousand or more. 3700x isn't really in the same class. The 3900x will beat it though.

The idea isn't that you're buying old new CPUs. You're buying an entire old build. In which case you will save hundreds, and maybe even a thousand or more. 3700x isn't really in the same class. The 3900x will beat it though.
Yeah, gaming wise it isn't because it will eviscerate the xeon. In cinebench it is much closer to the xeon than the xeon's handicap in gaming. Saving thousands? An entire 3700x build doesn't cost 1000. Talk about hyperbole.

The used xeon is a great choice if all you are concerned with is bang for the buck in multi threaded workloads, and don't care about anything else including warranty. But don't try to sell it as this better than everything else world beater because it isn't.

BTW if you're buying an old build it will cost more than the Chinese knock-off dual socket boards. So you aren't saving anything then. As an all round enthusiast machine the 3700x build is just better for roughly the same cost, and it will be new with warranty.

Last edited:
Yeah, gaming wise it isn't because it will eviscerate the xeon. In cinebench it is much closer to the xeon than the xeon's handicap in gaming. Saving thousands? An entire 3700x build doesn't cost 1000. Talk about hyperbole.

The used xeon is a great choice if all you are concerned with is bang for the buck in multi threaded workloads, and don't care about anything else including warranty. But don't try to sell it as this better than everything else world beater because it isn't.

BTW if you're buying an old build it will cost more than the Chinese knock-off dual socket boards. So you aren't saving anything then. As an all round enthusiast machine the 3700x build is just better for roughly the same cost, and it will be new with warranty.

The only caveat might be if you pick up an entire Dell Precision workstation computer for cheap on eBay coming off lease or something. Might get a cheap dual CPU build there, but you're still correct about it getting beat handily by a modern CPU. And in fairness, it should. Haswell Xeons are 5 years old at this point.

2 x X5675 Xeons, 48GB ECC DDR3, NVME SSD via m.2 > pcie (Dell T5500), KDE Neon 5.17.5 running under Wine.

For some reason running under Wine the result doesn't come up in the ranking list, see it top left.

2EI1GYR.png

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not contesting the value of modern platforms... But a $40 CPU was one hell of an upgrade for this aging LGA2011 Lenovo S30 I saved from the scrap heap. My daily driver is a Z370 system. I'll have to bench it later.

I have no need to upgrade, my system still does everything I need it to do and more. Being a Dell workstation it's built like a tank, definitely the best purchase I ever made with a couple of upgrades along the way.

Well, 1221 points for an Intel i5-4570 which I find pretty good for a CPU I bought in December 2014 (5 years old).
Inteli54570.jpg

I ran the test on an Intel Skylake i3-6100. This and the Haswell are my two only "modern" CPUs. 954 points is pretty good I find compared to an older i5-4570 with 4 cores (6100 has 2 cores).
Inteli36100.jpg

I'm not contesting the value of modern platforms... But a $40 CPU was one hell of an upgrade for this aging LGA2011 Lenovo S30 I saved from the scrap heap. My daily driver is a Z370 system. I'll have to bench it later.
The s30 I had was a great machine but it was the earlier revision thst didn't support v2 cpus. You have the front USB 3.0 ports right? I think model number is 6006 or something. Thst one has support for v2. Thst being said, isn't the 1650v2 about that fast with half the cores? Also if you want twice the performance get D30 or c30 as they are the same thing but dual cpu socket. Look for front USB 3.0 ports if you want v2 support.

I added a few new results of my own. I don't think anyone will be able to beat my new lowest record without cheating.
Hold my beer.

edit: nevermind. Color me impressed by how awful your CPU is.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Actually surprised to see it was a R20 run. Was figuring that it would have been an R15 that finally completed (as R20 wasn't released at the time).

I didn't think my Atom was even a 64-bit CPU until I tried installing windows 10. Been on Windows 7 Starter for.... forever.

Compared to the 1948 from my old Intel i7-4790K system and the 4933 from my current AMD Ryzen R7 3800X system (both at stock speeds), here's the 2142 from my reserve Intel i7-7700 miniITX system:

i7_7700.png

My x5670 6c12t @4GHz just got 1857 on R20.

Stock i5-4670k I just built for work got 1409.

The i5 blew it out of the water on HyperPi 1M though, 12sec vs 22sec. And Linx 173GFlops vs my 72GFlops at the same settings.

I could run it on virtually any range of CPU's you can imagine. I actually collect CPU's. I have enough in my collection. However, I neither have motherboards for all of them, nor the desire to do it.
What core voltage was necessary for stable 4.3 all core on the 3900X? I can't get mine to complete more than 1 R20 run at 4.3/1.325v.

After Tweaking some BIOS settings to get better all core and single thread performance this is what I now get with PBO Tweaked to actually work right.

My MT score went up 300+pts alone and Single up 11pts.

Attachments

• R20Tweak.jpg
    R20Tweak.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 0
Even better one now that I removed the crappy MSI Dragon Center app.

Attachments

• R20-02232020.jpg
    R20-02232020.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
I have a few machines at work I have access to. I ran some benches.

Some old XPS laptop I found
hgEE8uL.jpg

i5-3570S
ve0JE8c.jpg

i5-4590S
bd6QftZ.jpg

i7-3770
DZ0OwTV.jpg

Back