I r stoopid with a dremel

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
I have had my watercooling gear in my closet for almost a year now and decided I would get it going.

I have never done any case modding, always heard that people here used a Dremel. Went out and bought one and am COMPLETELY LOST. The documentation is horrible, it took me 30 minutes just to figure out how to properly load any attachment.

It came with cutting wheels, but there is nothing to attach the cutting wheels to.

So basically, my PC is in pieces, I have a Dremel I have no idea how to use...I am stuck. =(

without being there its harder, but u should have a attachment with a flat head screw on top of the attachment and u should have some little washer like disc, unscrew the flat head and take the flathead screw and put a small disc washer on it, then put the cutting disc on it, then screw back into the pole attachment piece tight, there u have it the cutting disc attached and ready to cut, ur going to need to change several times, im not sure if u need a washer disc on bottom of the cutting disc, someone else should know, either way its worked for me. i cut all the grills out from my cases increases airflow 50% if not more.

also make sure ur using the little wrench and pushing the button in on the dremel, and tighten the head onto the attached disc cutter stem.let go of the button and its locked in.

im sorry if u cant understand me, i tried.

lets us know anything else, like dont do this with ur motherboard inside the case because of small flakes etc.. and not good, that or seal the area off, as falling piece could land on any agp/pci slots and ur motherboard, and wouldnt notice and might short it when starting up.

also take ur time when cutting as u can make a really nice cut, or make a horrendous looking eyesore.

The case is completely empty. There is nothing like what you described, although there were some sanding attachments with the screws. I took of the sanding thing, and the screw that held it down with a washer is way too big for the whole on the cutting wheel....

Are there any other tools I can go buy that will work better? Or do any of you modders live close to Roanoke? I will glady pay a good amount to have this done.

Have patience, but also respect for that tool, because it can trash a nice case in a heatbeat. You need to go back where you got that and see if they have add-on packages of bits. One thing you definetly need is reinforced cutting wheels. These are much more durable and long lasting. Always wear eye protection because those wheels can easily desintigrate, and pieces flying at 20,000rpm.......you get the picture. You can get the specific shaft you need for the wheels too, though it shoulda been in even the basic setup. Practice on something else first to get the hang of how the tool acts......a wheel or grinding attachment can get away from you easily and zip right across nice finished surfaces.

Finally got a cutting wheel on there, and it does not do anything to my case. The cutting wheel sais it will work with soft metals. I am assuming aluminum fits into that category?

Anyways...I am done with the dremel, and will take it back tomorrow -- it is HORRIBLE.

What are the tools you guys use for your everyday case mods?

Get a flex shaft, and my uncle has one, and it is sweet, the roto zips are powerful

heh if you are that clueless with the dremel I'd HIGHLY recommend you practice using thick gloves as well as a saftey goggles.. Hell, I actually use a plastic face guard AND saftey goggles.. I've heard way too many horror stories of people getting pieces of shattered cutting disks lodged in their eye, their face, cutting into their fingers.. pfftt, modding safely is the only way to go ;)

true, true, true

but i also think you should also look into a full face mask,i perosnally use a paint mask

anyone know where to get bimetal cutting bits? I have a rotozip clone made by craftsman, and all the Cutting bits(looks like drill bit) are all rated for light wood and sheetrock.

rotozip is juss a small router? no?
dremel still the best modding tool...-for fine cuts-... ;)

Use goggles, ALWAYS use eye protection when working with any tools period.

Please listen to what everybody is saying in this thread. I know the Dremel and Roto-Zip are cool lookin' and all, but these are serious constuction tools and you sound like a babe in the woods. Good for you that you are jumping in and trying the modding game as its fun and the results are great that you personalized your rig. It sounds like you're doing a steel case and thats gonna be tough on bits. A variable speed jigsaw with bi-metal blades will do large cuts (say, for a top radiator cutout), and can be cleaned up with the other tools. I'm encouraging you, but this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen: a ruined case is one thing....body damage is quite another. Use the protection people have mentioned and an old case to practice on first.

lostmatt, i live in franklin county and work in roanoke.
if you want some help or nething man, i'd be glad to help. PM me.

Back