I put my cell phone in the microwave and I was able to call it, is this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Saw in another thread you could do this to test if your microwave is well shielded or not.

Full bars while it was inside. Is this bad? Or does this just work with 3G? This is a CDMA phone.

I put my 2.4Ghz cordless inside and it also rang.

Either this test does not actually work, or I have a leaky microwave and I'm going to die of cancer. :D

Microwaves cook with non-ionizing radiation. The dangerous radiation (that can affect your body, DNA, etc) is ionizing radiation (like X-Rays)...not used by microwaves.

(looks ar microwave) nope not made of lead, i'm gonna die probably

Oh look, i can even see throught the plastic window lol.

I think you will be ok OP

Are you mashing your face against the front window as you cook stuff or something?

The microwave should still act as a faraday cage. Your phone *should* lose signal, but don't worry much if it doesn't.

I put my cat in there to dry her off after giving her a bath.
I'm afraid that would be the last bath she'll ever take.
Or the last thing she ever did for that matter.
I'm sad...

Put your cell phone in a Faraday cage and you'll be all set. >.>

We have a Faraday cage here at work, and that thing kills cell signals immediately. A microwave operates in the 2.4GHz band, so it should kill off wifi, not necessarily GSM.

Next time I bring my work laptop home I will try with wifi. I just like testing out stuff like this.

I have to be careful though, the automatic habit after putting something in the microwave is to press start. :D You know, a laptop in a microwave that is turned on could be pretty entertaining. Battery and all.

Next time I bring my work laptop home I will try with wifi. I just like testing out stuff like this.

I have to be careful though, the automatic habit after putting something in the microwave is to press start. :D You know, a laptop in a microwave that is turned on could be pretty entertaining. Battery and all.

do it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOfSxh9Yq4"]YouTube - ‪cell phone monster in the microwave‬‏[/ame]

It doesn't work that way.
The shielding, especially on the front glass is very frequency specific.

I am severely deaf, so I have worn hearing aids all forty years of my life. Up until 2 years ago I wore analog hearing aids. I only ever found two things that interfered with my analog hearing aids. First was some of those security scanners that you walk through in the grocery store, and they only did that for a few years and then stopped. I guess they have switched to a different method, RFIDs presumably. The second was my wife's grandmother's microwave oven. It made my hearing aids make an odd scratchy squeaky sound. I suggested they dispose of it and they did. I have no idea if it was doing something that was actually dangerous, but no other microwave ever did that so why risk it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back