I purchased Windows 7 off eBay; shipping from Shenzen China

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
I'm concerned about a Windows 7 Retail package I purchased on eBay. The seller's location is listed as Pennsylvania, however the item ended up dropshipping from Shenzen, China. After contacting the seller, she told me she actually lives in Georgia, not Pennsylvania, and assured me that it was an official Microsoft 7 Retail package and not a counterfeit/fake.

Does anyone know where the Microsoft 7 Windows packages are produced? Are they made in the US? or overseas?

Sounds shady. I'd file a paypal claim. Did you pay via CC?

Yep, used my credit card. Knowing it's coming from China I don't even think I need to wait to see if it's legit or not, right? I should just file a claim like you said and get it over with.

Uh, not at all. Tons of retail stuff comes directly out of China. The retail versions you find in B&M stores probably come from there too.

You've already paid for it, so you might as well wait for it to show up and be sure before pulling the trigger on a claim. (That said, the Pennsylvania/Georgia thing...not cool.)

wait for it to arrive. The Win7 DVD's are the typical Microsoft hologram deal so you should be able to tell if it's a fake right away.

My Windows 7 pkg says it was made in Puerto Rico, so I suppose China could be legit.

looks at windows 7 cd and it states "MADE IN CHINA" on the sleeve it came in

There is a LOT of fishy counterfit items sold in the Shenzen area, so my initial instinct is to tell you that it's going to be fake; but who knows, it might be real :p

I think you got pwnd, but what the hell, spin it up and see what happens.

All my copies came from Puerto Rico.

The fakes are really good, might look entirely legit.

I think you would be better off checking the MD5 checksum and actually trying to activate it with the key provided. Microsoft has some am I legit hotline to call for details too.

I think you would be better off checking the MD5 checksum and actually trying to activate it with the key provided. Microsoft has some am I legit hotline to call for details too.

That's a good start but many illegal copies will use boot loaders, etc and actually activate and validate just fine.

That's a good start but many illegal copies will use boot loaders, etc and actually activate and validate just fine.

I would guess that's why he said to run a MD5 checksum; but if you have the MD5 checksum of all the files on the disk you probably already have a good disk anyways....

Believe it or not you can get legit items for cheap from China, tech products in particular.

Yes, you can get legit items for cheap. However, in my experience many times the fakes are so good you won't know that it's fake until it fails prematurely. Unless it's changed drastically in the past 3-4 years, I'm going to keep wary of any goods from China particularly from the Shenzhen area.

My Win7 Pro was made in Puerto Rico in English for distribution in US only. Good Luck with that China deal.

File a paypal claim NOW! If the product is good, you can cancel the claim. It takes 7 or 10 days for a claim to go through anyways. When crap like this happens, or whenever ebay cancels the auction for breaking rules after I pay, I file a claim till I get the item. No harm done and win win for the buyer. The claim will put a hold on the money so the guy can't cut and run.

I went ahead and opened a case. The Chinese tracking # she gave me shows the package being held by US Customs in Mobile, Alabama.

Did you check the feedback on the seller? If they are dealing in counterfiets, then someone would probably have mentioned it (if they have more than a handful of sales that is). The whole thing sounds fishy to me, but you never know I guess. The seller could have moved from PA. to GA. recently, and just didn't change it in his/her profile. Or it could be a scam lol. That's why I hate buying software off e-bay. It's kind of a crap shoot.

He opened a claim on the purchase, and US Customs is holding the package for inspection. Pretty much anything that comes form over seas is held in customs for a couple days.

I had a similar problem when W7 first arrived.
I bought two copies from two people who just plain bought the wrong thing. The copies were otherwise legit and the serial number keys worked fine.
So I thought I was pretty golden.
I needed another copy and bought one from some lady somewhere who "buys store returns".......who returns software and doesn't somehow steal something?

Well, I had three seperate "copies" of W7 Pro from this person. The package as discs looked fine, but not a single serial key was recocnized as legitamate.
I contacted her and she apologized, and we shuffled returns back and forth.....she saying that "about 1%" of their software had this sort of problem....huh?...I got three in a row.....:eek: Must have been my unlucky day.....anyway....I had three discs that loaded just fine, but no activation keys.....that was 6 months ago and eBay is still on the case.....oh well...........I got screwed......won't be the last time.

Did you check the feedback on the seller? If they are dealing in counterfiets, then someone would probably have mentioned it (if they have more than a handful of sales that is). The whole thing sounds fishy to me, but you never know I guess. The seller could have moved from PA. to GA. recently, and just didn't change it in his/her profile. Or it could be a scam lol. That's why I hate buying software off e-bay. It's kind of a crap shoot.

He opened a claim on the purchase, and US Customs is holding the package for inspection. Pretty much anything that comes form over seas is held in customs for a couple days.

ebay feedback is useless as a review mechanism. i've seen plenty of sellers on there with 98%+ feedback selling knockoff gear, camera gear, and pc software (while claiming it was all 100% oem). and not amazingly, it all shipped from overseas!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I had a similar problem when W7 first arrived.
I bought two copies from two people who just plain bought the wrong thing. The copies were otherwise legit and the serial number keys worked fine.
So I thought I was pretty golden.
I needed another copy and bought one from some lady somewhere who "buys store returns".......who returns software and doesn't somehow steal something?

Well, I had three seperate "copies" of W7 Pro from this person. The package as discs looked fine, but not a single serial key was recocnized as legitamate.
I contacted her and she apologized, and we shuffled returns back and forth.....she saying that "about 1%" of their software had this sort of problem....huh?...I got three in a row.....:eek: Must have been my unlucky day.....anyway....I had three discs that loaded just fine, but no activation keys.....that was 6 months ago and eBay is still on the case.....oh well...........I got screwed......won't be the last time.

What was the seller's name?

Stick with Newegg or Amazon. If you buy off Amazon check to see that Amazon is the seller and shipper.

Did you get it like near WIndows 7 retail pricing or was it "to good to be true?" Perhaps you are not getting the US retail version but some international edition? Tell us how it went once you receive the item.

It could be legit. Since you paid with a credit card, you can always file chargeback or claim fraudulent transaction. You are actually safer with credit card than you are with pay pal

Did you check the feedback on the seller? If they are dealing in counterfiets, then someone would probably have mentioned it (if they have more than a handful of sales that is).
Her feedback is 100%, but the last time she sold something was 5-years ago. Now all of the sudden she sells nearly $1,700 worth of Windows 7 and Microsoft Office software over a 2-day period. That's one of the things that set off a red flag for me. Like she was hitting-and-running.
Did you get it like near WIndows 7 retail pricing or was it "to good to be true?" Perhaps you are not getting the US retail version but some international edition? Tell us how it went once you receive the item.
I paid $120 bucks for it. That's a really good price if it's real.

Well I received i today and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference. It looks absolutely like the real thing. I haven't opened it yet. How do I check the MD5 checksum?

Back