I preloaded to my server: best way to get to main system

El Nacho

Noobie Cheese
The server doesnt have a burner in it right now. I know you can back up to disk and use that to install it. I want to buy and play the game tonight, so what would be the best way to do it. Counldnt i just point the install to a network drive? Or can i copy the hole thing over and then unlock it on my desktop?

El Nacho said:
The server doesnt have a burner in it right now. I know you can back up to disk and use that to install it. I want to buy and play the game tonight, so what would be the best way to do it. Counldnt i just point the install to a network drive? Or can i copy the hole thing over and then unlock it on my desktop?

There is an entry in the Steam FAQ which covers moving the installation from one drive/computer to another. All that is required is to delete one certain file then move the whole tree.

found it. thanks

steam said:
Steam must all be kept together, you won't be able to move only part of it.

Let's say you ran out of space on your C: disk and want to move Steam to your larger E: disk.

To successfully move Steam over to the E: drive you have to move:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ <everything>
to
E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ <everything>

Then you need to delete this file:

E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ClientRegistry.blob

Any shortcuts to Steam on your desktop will need to be updated as well - you can just delete the old shortcut and drag and drop a shortcut (right-mouse button) for the moved Steam.exe on your desktop.

When you start Steam up it will do a short update, check the installation and re-create the blob file for the new location and you should be ready to play.

Same rules apply if you want to move your Steam install to a different computer, you'll have to use file sharing or burn CDs or DVDs with the content to accomplish the move.

If you use CDs or DVDs, be sure to make sure none of the Steam files become marked "Read Only" when you copy them off the CDs - all the Steam file need to be writeable.

1. Install Steam on main system
2. Copy the HL2 files (HL2 content and Source X) from the SteamApps dir over the network to your main system's SteamApps dir.
3. Fire it up and let steam unlock it.

Thats what I did to get it on my laptop.

Back