i pod and fire wire

vjs0710

Weaksauce
Im getting a i pod soon and i need a fire wire card. which cards would you recommend?

thanks

Any card. they're all compatible so long as they are OHCI compliant (AFAIK, all are).

cheap-o-riffic.

Do yourself a favor and spend about $30 on like an SIIG or Belkin card, or at least from somewhere reputable like Newegg, that's what I would do from past experience.

USB 2 is COMPERABLE to firewire....and yes the new generations (both mini and normal) will do USB 2

Originally posted by MasiveMunkey
Do i-pods support usb 2.0? Because it is way faster then firewire right?

In theory, USB 2.0 is slightly faster then firewire (480mbps vs 400mbps). In real life, hard drives will never pump out more then 100mbps anyway (unless you have some kind of raid, but still nowhere near 400mbps); so after factoring in overhead, etc...firewire turns out faster in my experience.

The next version of firewire is firewire 800, at 800mbps. Cool stuff.

/firewire-fanboi

Plus, your iPod will charge on a firewire port, it won't on a USB.

As I recall, most of the motherboards I have seen reviewed that have USB 2.0 and Firewire built-in, they would run benchmark tests of the interfaces, using a 7200 RPM external hard drive, which had both interfaces.

IIRC, the transfer rates were nearly identical, but the CPU usage was minimal on the firewire interface, but nearly 20% of capacity using USB 2.0

there is no way that an iPod can transfer data to/from its HDD faster than a 7200 RPM desktop drive.

Also FWIW, I have only seen sync cables for 3G iPods on www.apple.com

firewire is the faster more robust interface. it also uses far less cpu time.

usb's protocol has higher overhead. the 480 is a peak figure for all data moving on the bus, including the overhead.

i normal consumer use the difference will be minimally noticeable. there are also variables like drivers & controllers.

---

go for the firewire because the card is the same $$ as the usb cable. plus the firewire charges your ipod. usb does not.

Back