I Plan On Buying An Electric Screwdriver In A Few Days, Which One Should I Get?

craftsman (sears brand) is my personal choice. 19.2 volt PRO is what i have

dewalt is okay.

black and decker and dewalt are made by the same company. do not buy black and decker. at school we had a B&D drill, the chargers stopped working. we called the company support line, and they said that B&D tools are for the average homeowner, and are not made to be used more then 2 or 3 times PER YEAR! consider your self’s informed

theshadow27 said:
craftsman (sears brand) is my personal choice. 19.2 volt PRO is what i have

dewalt is okay.

black and decker and dewalt are made by the same company. do not buy black and decker. at school we had a B&D drill, the chargers stopped working. we called the company support line, and they said that B&D tools are for the average homeowner, and are not made to be used more then 2 or 3 times PER YEAR! consider your self’s informed

They are still good drills, I have used mine hardcore for the past 2 years. The charger died becuase the circuit bord frys itself. They dont even sell those chargers anymore and now come with the charger built into drill itself.

For cheap buget black and decker is good, if you have the money go with dewalt(used these alot at my last job doing construction and they are absolutly the best drill ever).
Just my two cents

JEEVES

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=2739

We had this kit at work last summer for doing computer repair. It's absolutely wonderful. Surprisingly, they don't even mention the variable clutch on the end of it, which works really well for fixing computers. You set it to how much force you want, and it doesn't try to torque the screw past that. Fantastic for getting things tight, but not stripping them.

Two thumbs up from this guy.

DeWalt is an excellent drill, you can't go wrong with DeWalt power tools. Never had a problem with the black & decker cord drills either (never tried cordless)...

Craftsman Power Tools are iffy at best, they are all rebranded so you never really know what you are getting. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get complete crap...

That said, i have a 7.2volt craftsman drill... it's weak (becuase it's 7.2volt), but it's overall been decent. I havn't abused it much though

youre kidding me right?? If you cant make this decision alone then thats really bad, just go to the store and pick one out!!

SMPWorksForME said:
youre kidding me right?? If you cant make this decision alone then thats really bad, just go to the store and pick one out!!

He dosn't want to waste his money on a shitty brand like Black and Decker and be out 40 bucks

Not everyone has cash flowing out their asses like a never ending stream. :rolleyes:

[ontopic]

Personally, I gotta Vouch for DeWalt. Don't own a set currently, but I used to use them during house work and construction and its a damn fine quality piece of machinery.

SMPWorksForME: If you don't have anything useful to say, then it's generally better to keep quiet than to proclaim your ignorance in the open. People ask these kinds of questions so that they can get sound advice from people whose opinions they trust, so that they get the best value for their money. Going to the store and just picking one out seems like a fairly uninformed way of choosing.

My brother did set construction for a while, and he said that DeWalt was the best they had.

I've heard Makita is pretty good too. I have a cordless ~9v Makita drill my dad gave me when he bought himself a new one, I know it's at least 15 years old but it still runs fine, I just wish it had some more power.

SMPWorksForME said:

why do you post on these forums then? shouldn't need a computer forum to read through and see what's good, you should be able to just surf on over to newegg and pick all your components out!

matt, DeWalt pretty much rules the construction industry becuase they are awesome little tools that can really take the abuse. Makita is good too, although, i very rarely see makita in the united states (its alot more common in europe and australia from my understanding...). I have a few makita things, they cost just about as much if not more then the few dewalt things i've owned... the only downside :(

Laugh if you like but...I picked up one at Wal-Mart a few months ago for $6. It uses 4 standard AA batteries. No proprietary charger to have to worry about in 3 years when the model is discontinued. Can use rechargable AA's if I like. Has worked well for me.

Komataguri said:
Not everyone has cash flowing out their asses like a never ending stream. :rolleyes:

You're right... not everyone has money to burn. Yet I don't understand why you guys are pushing him on a high end brand of cordless drill. Those Dewalts are great drills no doubt about it, but not cheap. What, 100 bucks for their cheapest model?

xBuddhax said:
You're right... not everyone has money to burn. Yet I don't understand why you guys are pushing him on a high end brand of cordless drill. Those Dewalts are great drills no doubt about it, but not cheap. What, 100 bucks for their cheapest model?

spending 50$ on a drill that will last a few years (and is made to be used once a month at most), vs. 200$ on a drill that will last forever and take whatever abuse you can dish out... the latter seams like a sound investment. Alot of people simply want to know what's the best and what to avoid...

i learned long ago, spend the extra money on tools that won't be going anywhere any time soon... i only buy craftsman hand tools for 1 reason, sure, they cost a little bit more, they might not be the best, but there is a lifetime garuntee and i've never had any hassle at all replacing broken tools.

i went into sears a month or two ago with a broken craftsman ratchet, the guy saw it in my hand, took it, went and got me another one, gave me a return receipt, and i took the new ratchet and left. all of this took place without either of us saying a SINGLE word... pretty good return service there.

plot said:
i went into sears a month or two ago with a broken craftsman ratchet, the guy saw it in my hand, took it, went and got me another one, gave me a return receipt, and i took the new ratchet and left. all of this took place without either of us saying a SINGLE word... pretty good return service there.

A bit OT, but I figure it's worth mentioning. We had a similar experience with a Sears ratchet. We broke some bearings in it or something, trying to get a really stubborned bolt off (with a 6 foot cheater bar...:rolleyes: ) We took it in to Sears, and the guy looked at it and said "Well, we don't have any stock on that one. If you want to wait a few days, we should have some more in, or if you're comfortable doing it, we have a free bearing kit that should work with that." We took the bearing kit, and 10 minutes later we were back trying to get that damn bolt off :)

fat-tony said:
A bit OT, but I figure it's worth mentioning. We had a similar experience with a Sears ratchet. We broke some bearings in it or something, trying to get a really stubborned bolt off (with a 6 foot cheater bar...:rolleyes: ) We took it in to Sears, and the guy looked at it and said "Well, we don't have any stock on that one. If you want to wait a few days, we should have some more in, or if you're comfortable doing it, we have a free bearing kit that should work with that." We took the bearing kit, and 10 minutes later we were back trying to get that damn bolt off :)

what's really funny, is that's exactly how i broke my ratchet... 5 foot cheater bar + ratchet = bad :rolleyes:

:D

plot said:
what's really funny, is that's exactly how i broke my ratchet... 5 foot cheater bar + ratchet = bad :rolleyes:
:D
lol - i need to throw my craftsman story in:

we were trying to get the rims off a friends RX7, after 2 hours and much frustration we were still on the first one. as soon as i said breaker bar, he whipped out an old lacrosse stick :rolleyes:. but i said "what the hell", popped the end cap off, and started prying... this thing must have been 5 or 6 feet long. anyway, when another, rather large (250lb) friend put all his weight on it (note, this is something like 1000 foot-pounds of torque) we heard a huge snap, and the friend and the lacrosse stick fell to the ground. we thought that we had busted the ratchet (a standard 1/2" craftsman), but upon closer inspection, the craftsman ratchet and socket were fine. the snap was his tire lug – the stud that holds the wheel to the car -- it had broken out of the brake rotor, with lug nut and all!

i <3 craftsman tools

lol... i was trying to get my lugnut off too when i broke my ratchet

glad i'm not the only one to ever try that crap.

a 1 inch breaker bar with me jumping up and down on it finally got it off... surprised it didnt snap the lugs off. damn tire... (and the rims are made so i have to use a thinwalled socket to get the lugs off, my fourway tire iron wouldn't come close to fitting in that damn thing :mad: )

not sure if you picked one out yet or not, but i've been eying this one
http://www.mytoolstore.com/milwauke/6546.html
for quite some time. many many good electricians carry them and they last a lifetime these things aren't something that you'll just sit under the workbench after 4-5 years because its underpowered now... these things are SOLID. Hope you find a good solution.

i have had my dewalt for 8+ years still working strong. Bought a craftsman pro for around the house and the damn chuck gets loose every 2-3 minutes.

Get a dewalt or maybe even a makita

LKS

I have been happy with my dad's DeWalt 12v cordless drill for as long as we've had it ^^,
If not DeWalt, then another one of the higher end brands like Bosch.

Back