I/O Shields Blocking Ports (EVGA)

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
When I built my PC I didn't think much of the I/O Shield and how it blocked certain ports such as eSATA and FireWire, but now I've got two eSATA enclosures that I'd like to connect.

Does anyone happen to know if this can be easily pried out from the outside? I think I'd have to remove a million things if I had to remove it from the inside.

Secondly, I am 100% sure that the parts of the metal shielding blocking the ports are not perforated, as if EVGA expected that anyone deciding to put on the I/O shield wouldn't be using the eSATA or FireWire ports. Can someone explain why these ports are even blocked?

When I built my PC I didn't think much of the I/O Shield and how it blocked certain ports such as eSATA and FireWire, but now I've got two eSATA enclosures that I'd like to connect.

Does anyone happen to know if this can be easily pried out from the outside? I think I'd have to remove a million things if I had to remove it from the inside.

Secondly, I am 100% sure that the parts of the metal shielding blocking the ports are not perforated, as if EVGA expected that anyone deciding to put on the I/O shield wouldn't be using the eSATA or FireWire ports. Can someone explain why these ports are even blocked?

Dust, and bugs.

I don't get how the shield is blocking ports on the board and it's already installed. Are you connecting headers off the motherboard?
If not, why did you cover the ports with the shield? If the connection is millimeters from the shield, you can't just snip your way in since you'll damage the motherboard. Disassembly is required.
If so, I'd say go through the PCI slot covers instead. They're sturdier, removable, and very easy to snip.

Are you using the shield that the mobo came with?

yeah, gotta love those sheilds that fit several boards.

I have had luck (pull power from the wall, you dont want to short anything) by pressing them in just a litte to get a crack started and then with a very small flat screwdriver getting in the crack and then prying them outwards so I could get a pair of needle nose on them and then twist till the attachment tabs break off.

The I/O shield is the one that came with the motherboard. I shot a support ticket over to EVGA to confirm that the shield wasn't perforated. Regardless of the answer I get, there's still no way I'm going to remove all the hardware I have just to get the shield out.

I may just opt for a PCI eSATA card.

The I/O shield is the one that came with the motherboard. I shot a support ticket over to EVGA to confirm that the shield wasn't perforated. Regardless of the answer I get, there's still no way I'm going to remove all the hardware I have just to get the shield out.

I may just opt for a PCI eSATA card.

I know, they use one I/O sheild for several of their board and the "one size fits all" will cover up some of the ports for your board. If you look very carefully under good light you will see the seam, its not perforated but more of a "knockout" kind of thing. unless they did send you the wrong I/O plate and I find that difficult to believe but I guess it could happen.

I did the same thing when installing my P55 classified. Evga uses the same IO shield for all their models of a chipset, and ships with cutouts that you need to punch out if your board has the connector. I used a knife to pull the punch outs blocking the ethernet free, but didn't bother clearing the Esata connectors. You'd be better off taking the mobo out and removing the punch outs that way.

Back