I need TV advice (I have a PS4 Pro)

djoye

2[H]4U
I purchased my last television in 2007, it's a 52" Sharp Aquos, the picture is good (does have a couple darker vertical bands) and the response is good, but I do notice some ghosting or change in image quality during movement. I religiously disable 'auto' features that contribute to latency, so I'm confident that the TV is set to respond the best it can. The one annoying thing I notice is that, when there's no motion in games, the image is clear, but when I move, the image degrades, which makes it difficult to focus on surrounding unless I stand still. I'm looking for a >70" TV and I'm trying to determine pros and cons.

• I care more about frame rate than I do running a game at >1080p; choppy gameplay is junk. I'll likely get a 4K TV, are ~1080p games going to look bad (I'll accept some roughness, gotta compromise)?
  • Does HDR add noticeable latency? I won't be playing fast-paced games.
  • Is a larger display going to compound the effect of lower frame rates or lower resolutions significantly?
I mostly play PC games, so I'm two feet from the monitor, I find that when I'm 12 feet from my 52" TV I feel like I'm not close enough, that's why I want something bigger.

I got a pro and I am using a Sony 1080p 50 inch 120hz screen forgot the model. In games like horizon where you can set it to downsample from 2160p checkerboard and set it to prefer resolution it looks sweet. I don't care about HDR since all the 4k monitors that do it are basically fake for the time being. It's 30fps either way anyway.

In games like NIOH I'd rather have 1080p 60fps all day long.

I just bought a Vizio p65-c1 TV. UHD + HDR with constellation backlight which gives incredible blacks even when there's a bright source. 120hz display (Wonder at UHD+HDR however)
It comes with a calibrated mode that is beyond normal TV...

The best was it was on sale at costco so 2300 CAD$+tx + 100$ for 5 years warranty. The 75 will cost almost double however...

The Remote is an android tablet which uses chromecast... I removed my HTPC since I can stream everything from that tablet... I was using a 70" Sharp Aquos before... it's night & day.
Also, so far the upscale is great.

Nothing but good thing to say about it ! I actually bought it for Horizon and I have to say the game is breathtaking...

At 70" + yeah. Though I question the OP's viewing distances vs. screen size argument. I have a 55" LG OLED and sit 7 feet from the TV. looks fine to me.

How much was your 55 inch OLED? I am ready to drop my xbr hdcrt for something, but a grand is as high as I can justify for a new TV. Especially when this Sony XBR910 still works great. Around 6 or 8 hundred is all I really want to spend. But OLED is the closest I have seen to CRT picture quality. OLED is like CRT with higher resolution. But I read their response time is slow.

How much was your 55 inch OLED? I am ready to drop my xbr hdcrt for something, but a grand is as high as I can justify for a new TV. Especially when this Sony XBR910 still works great. Around 6 or 8 hundred is all I really want to spend. But OLED is the closest I have seen to CRT picture quality. OLED is like CRT with higher resolution. But I read their response time is slow.

Mine was $1179

OLED response time on the LG's has been fixed recently. See attached for updated response time testing results.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    83.9 KB · Views: 52
I purchased my last television in 2007, it's a 52" Sharp Aquos, the picture is good (does have a couple darker vertical bands) and the response is good, but I do notice some ghosting or change in image quality during movement. I religiously disable 'auto' features that contribute to latency, so I'm confident that the TV is set to respond the best it can. The one annoying thing I notice is that, when there's no motion in games, the image is clear, but when I move, the image degrades, which makes it difficult to focus on surrounding unless I stand still. I'm looking for a >70" TV and I'm trying to determine pros and cons.

• I care more about frame rate than I do running a game at >1080p; choppy gameplay is junk. I'll likely get a 4K TV, are ~1080p games going to look bad (I'll accept some roughness, gotta compromise)?
  • Does HDR add noticeable latency? I won't be playing fast-paced games.
  • Is a larger display going to compound the effect of lower frame rates or lower resolutions significantly?
I mostly play PC games, so I'm two feet from the monitor, I find that when I'm 12 feet from my 52" TV I feel like I'm not close enough, that's why I want something bigger.
If you are more worried about framerate, I think you can set the PS4 Pro manually to output @ 1080p even to your 4k so you get the benefits of enhanced 1080p mode rather than 30 fps @ 4k. However, the IQ may depend on your TV's ability to upscale 1080p to 4k. I've been researching that myself and haven't found much information on it.

If you are more worried about framerate, I think you can set the PS4 Pro manually to output @ 1080p even to your 4k so you get the benefits of enhanced 1080p mode rather than 30 fps @ 4k. However, the IQ may depend on your TV's ability to upscale 1080p to 4k. I've been researching that myself and haven't found much information on it.
Yes, you can manually set output resolution in the video settings. But games are still going to render at their native resolution and upscale to the output resolution regardless of your setting, here. In other words, the game has to support 4K to begin with (like Horizon: Zero Dawn).

Good info, everyone. I'll look at the OLED stuff. For the time being, I've decided to sit about 6 feet from the TV instead of 12 feet, that seems to help improve the experience.

I have an LG 2016 65" E6 OLED. Can't endorse this TV enough. The 2017 models will not have 3D, but have about 10ms less input lag, which takes it to one less frame, if that's more important. Has HDR Game Mode, same lag (34ms IIRC).

I have a 65" LG OLED65B6P (living room) and a 55" LG OLED55C6P (bedroom). These 2016 OLED TVs are amazing, so much so that I bought two.

The B6 is honestly the best of the bunch IMO. With the latest firmware update it has the lowest input lag across all resolutions and HDR (~28ms) and the screen is a tad brighter, roughly 100nits higher peak brightness. It's honestly pretty close to the 2017 models...

But if you have to have 3D then go with the C6 (curved) or the E6 (you'll pay a fairly large premium over the B6). These two sets have slightly higher input lag and very slightly dimmer screens due to the 3D filter.

Back