I need to recover data from my hard drive...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by x0dyssey, Jan 5, 2008.

1. x0dyssey

x0dyssey [H]Lite

somehow when i was playing with VMware and a Linux live cd instead of it formatting a small 20gb partition i had set aside for it. The dang thing wiped my whole hard drive instead.. i have about 90% of it backed up already but stuff form the other day is missing now.. Is there any good software for recovering the data? As far as i can tell it only partitioned the drive.. the partitions still show unformatted space to windows and knoppix. I would not be to worried but there are pictures on there from my dog that we had to get put down recently so id like to get them if i can..

thanks in advanced

2. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

If you can take that drive and place it in another machine or even better in an external drive housing and hook it up, you can try Recuva as long as that machine is running Windows. I've had great success lately using Recuva on many machines and different hard drives, and it's totally free.

However, if the drive is currently showing a Linux filesystem on it (doesn't matter which one) then things get a little more dicey. Recuva will only work with FAT/FAT32/NTFS partitions/filesystems in my experience. If that's the case then you need to move up to something a bit more capable of the task, and that might be EasyRecovery from Ontrack Systems, or perhaps GetDataBack which a lot of people have great experiences with. Even R-Studio, which is my end-all-be-all-must-get-it-back recovery software, but I paid out the nose for that years ago and keep it updated as required.

As for totally free solutions, there's not a lot out there that will do a lot of stuff (they're very limited, basically just undelete apps for the most part), so to get involved with some partitioning/filesystem situations, you're going to need something a bit "stronger" meaning something commercial like one of the 3 applications I just mentioned.

Obviously, stop using that drive/partition until you can figure out how to proceed, and don't use it at all if possible until you're absolutely sure you're ready to get started on the data recovery.

Good luck...

ps
    If it's an Ext2 filesystem on that drive, you might be in luck: http://www.data-recovery-software.net/Linux_Recovery.shtml is R-Studio's free data recovery tool just for Ext2 partitions. Could be useful, who knows...

3. x0dyssey

x0dyssey [H]Lite

Awesome thank you very much! It was only my data drive that got toasted.. i have my other 2 drives.. Vista and Xp that are fine.. just my backup drive.. that i turned into extra storage.. thats what i get for messing around with potentially destructive software on my data drive :D

But i will try that when i get home from work.. from what i remember.. it showed unformatted space.. on 3 partitions.. so im assuming it just broke the drive from one large partition to 3 ready for the Linux install.

but again thank you and i will try it out and see what happens and let you know.. thanks again! :D:D:D:D:D:D