I need to get away from Seafile, considering nextcloud and tonido

The Lurker

Fully [H]
I am currently running Seafile and it has been excellent the last 4 years. But its iOS app is buggy and the way it stores files is becoming a mess. I need to move over to something a bit more modernized and with more frequent updates to the windows version.

Anyone here run Tonido or Next Cloud? Anyone ran both and stuck with one?

Both seem like great alternatives(nextcloud being the bigger). I like that Tonido apparently can transcode videos that you share on the fly.

Last edited:
Posting for a different reason- think I'm going to set up Next Cloud myself. I was absolutely looking at Seafile too, and I had almost gotten around to setting it up, but I think I'll give Next Cloud a try first.

Posting for a different reason- think I'm going to set up Next Cloud myself. I was absolutely looking at Seafile too, and I had almost gotten around to setting it up, but I think I'll give Next Cloud a try first.

I think the most important thing right now for me is figuring out how each of these stores the files. Tonido seems to be keeping it in a database like seafile, the standard install keeps all the data in clusters of unknown files spread across thousands of directories. But nextcloud keeps them as regular files, xactly the way they come in.

Last edited:
https://nextcloud.com/compare/

Damnit, just learned nextcloud doesnt run on windows. Only *nix. Which sucks, I need to convert my windows server to ESX, but I cant do it right now. I want to avoid running it in a hypevisor on a windows host.

Last edited:

Damnit, just learned nextcloud doesnt run on windows. Only *nix. Which sucks, I need to convert my windows server to ESX, but I cant do it right now. I want to avoid running it in a hypevisor on a windows host.

Well, I went to install Next Cloud, and found out the same- so I rolled SeaFile. I realize that you don't like the clients (I don't have an iPhone for personal use), but I'll say that it works pretty well initially.

I'll be working on setting up SSL (HTTPS) for everything so I can access this stuff remotely with some semblance of security.

Imho. Try to set it up with sql for the data not the file structure it goes with by default.

Let me know how ssl works for you. I didn't bother.

I could try- but what's the purpose, in your opinion?

I'm really not interested in non-encrypted traffic across the edge going in either direction :)

It puts thousands of files on your data drive. Versus just the database itself.

As for encryption. Unless someone knows what to listen for and where, it's not sooooo critical I feel. IMHO, if I really wanted to secure the connection I could just do it over my VPN at all times.

Running linux VMs in HyperV has been fully supported for year. I've run plenty of production Ubuntu/*bsd servers for years with no issues, including my current Nextcloud install. I've had zero issues with it running for the past 2 years, and the android app works great.

My home setup is mostly windows based with the exception of nextcloud, pfsense and my freenas storage backend. My nextcloud box mounts a windows share to use for it's data directory. That way the files are stored in windows format and can be shared normally on the network. Just takes some additional work during setup, but works perfect.

SSL setup was easy (I already have a wildcard cert for my domain), and AD Integration and MFA is supported out of the box with google authenticator.

Your hyperv host is running on bare metal, which is ideal. I don't want to run a hypervisor in a windows environment only to host a Linux VM.

That makes no sense unless your windows box is a VM running on ESXI or something, but that hypervisor supports Linux as well.... If you're not on a VM, then you are also running on bare metal so there's no difference between our setups. Resource overhead to run HyperV is not much. Running nextcloud as a VM can increase security (if you set it up right), makes backups/restore much easier, and gives you snapshots/checkpoints to revert failed config changes.

Your other option is to get docker for windows, then run the nextcloud docker image. If those don't work, then you're stuck with seafile, but trust me it's worth it.

Your hyperv host is running on bare metal, which is ideal. I don't want to run a hypervisor in a windows environment only to host a Linux VM.

You should never run a hypervisor under a OS install used for other things for production ever. Virtualbox is for testing, not real work loads.

That makes no sense unless your windows box is a VM running on ESXI or something, but that hypervisor supports Linux as well.... If you're not on a VM, then you are also running on bare metal so there's no difference between our setups. Resource overhead to run HyperV is not much. Running nextcloud as a VM can increase security (if you set it up right), makes backups/restore much easier, and gives you snapshots/checkpoints to revert failed config changes.

Your other option is to get docker for windows, then run the nextcloud docker image. If those don't work, then you're stuck with seafile, but trust me it's worth it.

I think we are misunderstanding each other.

I have a windows server right now, its the only OS running on the metal. I do not want to run a linux vm in a hypervisor with a windows host OS. I want to install a hypervisor (probably Xen), run that on the metal and use it to host my linux and windows VMs.

I want to do it, but first I need to build a NAS and move all the data off the raid in this server to it. Then use the Raid for the VM's data stores.

I think we are misunderstanding each other.

I have a windows server right now, its the only OS running on the metal. I do not want to run a linux vm in a hypervisor with a windows host OS. I want to install a hypervisor (probably Xen), run that on the metal and use it to host my linux and windows VMs.

I want to do it, but first I need to build a NAS and move all the data off the raid in this server to it. Then use the Raid for the VM's data stores.

Ah. I have only used/setup HyperV clusters, so I stuck with that for my home build. It's a full Server 2016 install with HyperV,/Cluster using 10GB lan to hit the freenas (baremetal) ISCSI (Raid10 intel 3700s). But the hosts are dual 8 core w/ 64g ram each, so I'm not too worried about the extra overhead from a full Server install. But HyperV has fully supported production linux VMs for years.

But if you know xen better, nothing wrong with that, go for it. Different strokes and all.

I only went with Hyper-V because we roll a mixed environment; I have a dedicated Linux machine that I'll be experimenting with other forms of virtualization on.

But Hyper-V is certainly pretty slick, and Server 2016 is great if your primary client(s) is/are Windows!

Back