I need the GURU's for this really odd issue with network speed...

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
This computer as far a I know has been issue free until my buddy decided to sell it and then I got it missing a hard drive. I loaded an older samsung m.2 drive and updated the firmware to sell it to another buddy. One odd issue is the 1803 and google chrome bug I had never heard of hit this pc. The buyer returend said benchmarks are horrible on speed test. He has a 100mb connction and his otehr computers bench over 100 up and down. This one would bench 100 up then like .6 down. WHen he brought it to me I couldnt hardly get it to bench. Open up IE and its fine.. on my wired network I hit over 800 both ways. Tried wireless and hit over 100 both ways... issue was the chrome and 1803 widwos build issue I read about . So I returned it. He gets it home.. he is still having sped isues yet others are not. So he takes it to work.. still sped issues but different.. like 24 up and down when other PC's are doing 180 up and 24 down..

Here is the kicker.... EVERY time you put it back on MY network.. it flys.. benchmaks are flying.. I am so lost.. like maybe something is sticking in its setting on my network? I downloaded a driver from the Asus Gene Viii driver list to try. The one other thing I did that I do on all older PC's is update the bios. I am wondering if I should move it back to a previous version. So my thoughts right now are trying to flush dns and maybe renew the IP or possibly just uninstall the network adapters and let them re install.

I am so lost.. runs fine on my network and crappy on anyone elses network..... PLEASE HELP!

How far away does this person live from you? Seems like the best way to figure it out is see it happen and try to diagnose from there. Another thing to try is using a Linux Live disk and seeing if the problems persist even on that. That would at least isolate whether it is issues with Windows and Windows Drivers.

he is close by.. its just strange.. I am stumped and about to have to refund his money... Whtas funny is he says both wifi and wired have issues.. both work perfect at my house tho?

he is close by.. its just strange.. I am stumped and about to have to refund his money... Whtas funny is he says both wifi and wired have issues.. both work perfect at my house tho?

There could be some issue with the nic not auto negotiating properly with his network devices, but that is rare in consumer products. That is why I would suggest running the Linux Live CD (I would suggest Kali Linux) and see if the problem persists across OS's. Also you can install ethtool and run that to check issues with the physical connections.

Honestly it seems to me it may have something to do with his network setup, but it is hard to say. The information provided isn't really enough to go on for a good diagnosis.

What interference is present when he's using it on those other networks? What wireless channel are those networks using? There's a common denominator somewhere. Could be as simple as him setting his phone down next to it with the Bluetooth turned on. Are they going to tell you what they're doing different? Probably not. They also likely won't be able to tell you what wifi channel the network is on. Those are the main things that I would start with. Then, start going in to distance, signal strength, etc

First thing that I thought of was some type of packet size mismatch. Maybe at some point his network was set to a non-standard setup to address a now long forgotten problem.

Did you try creating a new user account on the PC and run benchmarks from that? Also second the livecd.

Need to isolate if it's OS issue, user account issue/setting, etc.

There could be some issue with the nic not auto negotiating properly with his network devices, but that is rare in consumer products. That is why I would suggest running the Linux Live CD (I would suggest Kali Linux) and see if the problem persists across OS's.
I second this. A live cd is the fastest way to determine if something is a hardware or software problem. If there's a problem across 2 different live cds and windows--definitely hardware. Problem only in windows--problem is in software in windows.

I'd also try a different wireless card and see what that does. If not, just sell it cheap and let it be someone else's challenge. :ROFLMAO:

Back