I need some sort of removable SSD RAID solution

RazorWind

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm working on a device that consists of two Windows PCs, each of which has two cameras attached. The output from these cameras is very large, at least half a terabyte total per hour, on each PC. This system is installed in an aircraft, and the cameras are used to capture images of the terrain below.

When the system was delivered to us, it came with a pair of Mediasonic 4 bay RAID boxes that connect to the PCs via USB 3 (one for each PC). The manufacturer's prescribed solution for getting the data out of the system was to remove the drives from the RAID boxes, plug them into a third, identical box, and copy the data off. This always struck me as a terrible idea, because we'd basically be relying on the RAID controllers in the boxes being too crappy to stop us from doing this. Also, the first time the manufacturer tried to demonstrate this to us, it didn't work.

Unfortunately, about three weeks ago, the airplane this device was installed in crashed. The pilot was killed, the airplane was completely destroyed, and among other damage to our equipment, the RAID enclosures and all eight drives are a total loss. Xenu be praised, however, most of the system's other components appear to be salvageable.

My question to you guys is, what should I replace the destroyed Mediasonic boxes and hard disks with?

My imagined ideal solution would be an enclosure with four or more 2.5" bays and a high quality RAID controller that instead of connecting via USB 3, fits into some sort of hot swap bay, where the RAID controller can be removed with the drives. A bit of googling has not turned up anything like this however, so I'm hoping you folks may be able to suggest something that comes close.

At the very least, can anyone tell me who makes the very best 4 bay 2.5" external RAID enclosure? Price is not really a consideration unless your proposed solution is like $100K+.

simple solution is USB3 RAID as you already know

or
one real NAS (server) that connect to locally (static IP) to you recording machine directly
NAS<--direct Ethernet cable--> recording machine.

simple solution is USB3 RAID as you already know

Frankly, this is my preferred solution - I'd just like to find an enclosure that fits into some sort of hot swap bay, so I could remove the whole thing from the system without tools, or having to resort to cargo straps or velcro.

I guess a NAS might be a possibility, but it wouldn't necessarily solve the core problem, which is that I want removing the storage from the system to be toolless.

Given that a USB3 box is likely going to be the answer, maybe I should rephrase the question:

Are there any external RAID boxes that have controllers with similar quality and features to a high end PCI-express card, like the LSI Megaraid series?

A mini ejector seat for the drives would be some sort of removable SSD RAID solution.

A mini ejector seat for the drives would be some sort of removable SSD RAID solution.

Yeah, but are the drives supposed to just abandon the controller and bail? We never leave a member of the storage subsystem behind.

Eight tiny parachutes for the SSDs would be adorable, though.

Frankly, this is my preferred solution - I'd just like to find an enclosure that fits into some sort of hot swap bay, so I could remove the whole thing from the system without tools, or having to resort to cargo straps or velcro.

I guess a NAS might be a possibility, but it wouldn't necessarily solve the core problem, which is that I want removing the storage from the system to be toolless.

Given that a USB3 box is likely going to be the answer, maybe I should rephrase the question:

Are there any external RAID boxes that have controllers with similar quality and features to a high end PCI-express card, like the LSI Megaraid series?

never see by myself .
you just need screwdriver at least hahahaa.

I never see usb3 hotswap compared with real NAS

hard call on my understanding

Back