I need some help finding a NIC driver for a Dell SC420 machine.

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
alright, here's what's up. I took a Dell SC420 in on trade from someone who owed me some money. It needed to be reformatted for which I've already done. XP installed just fine and I'm actually amazed at how peppy this machine is.

the only problem is that I can't find a driver for the onboard NIC connection. there's a Broadcom chip on the motherboard so I can only imagine in must be the Broadcom network adaptor. the service tag code is 86HLS61 - I typed this in the drivers section and it pulls up the SC420 which is what mine is. the only problem is that XP doesn't like either one of the Broadcom drivers.

so I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me out. please.......

Do you know whether or not the NIC driver is actually made by Broadcom? Broadcom, IIRC, makes modem/Ethernet chips for several companies; they may not be responsible for the NIC drivers.

Have you tried looking for the drivers (using the service tag code) on Broadcom's web site? Did you also double-check the type of NIC that you have by searching for the service tag code on Google?

okay, I've looked and looked for this damn driver and I still can't seem to find it.

I'm stumped because I'm the one who first installed XP on this machine like 2 years ago and I don't recall having to fish for any NIC drivers. so now, here I am installing XP again and now I'm having one hell of a time finding the damn NIC driver. :(

is the NIC active when you are trying to install the drivers? If so, try disconnecting the copper. I've seen POS Dell's do things like this before where XP will freak out on the NIC install when there is link on the port.

If it isn't connected, plug the little guy in and try to install again.

Same thing here. Go to Dell's website and download the driver's for the NIC from the windows server 2003 selections for your model. It will work. There is a couple broadcom drivers for different models. DOwnload all of them and try to install. It will only install the one that you have. The others will give installation errors. Just did this one week ago.

Back