I Need some advice

Morphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I am really confused about something in my life, my carrer. I really like computers but I dont know what field I should go into, so here are some things I need for a good job and maybe you guys can help me figure out what I should go into.

60% unstressful (or really stressful but on rare occasions)
make atleast 60k a year
Work with people
I like to build things (DIYer etc.)
Working Inside

I have done some internship for a computer administrator and that was really cool, but I am wondering how much do those guys really make? I am actualy debating college or not, thinking maybe I should go into trade school just because of all the unrelated stuff I am learning in college right now. I like networks and helping people so maybe a network administrator.

Any thoughts as to what field would be a fun one to work in?

We need network engineers and NOC employees pretty badly in the Seattle area right now. If you are a good NOC candidate (CCNA, some experience, can apply them together), you could easily get 50 right off the bat up here. 60 would not take long. Obviously im not aware of how the job market is in your part of the country, however.

People ask the trade school vs. college question alot, and I will always, always recommend it like this (in order of preference): 4 year college, then community college, then trade schools like ITT tech. Whether its fair or not, people will take you more seriously with a 4 year degree than something from a technical school. The best bet is to go through a 4 year degree program, and pick up some solild technical internships over the summers and during your senior year.

make atleast 60k a year

This first one... if you dont like stress dont go into IT.

second if you want 60K what kind of education and experience do you have?

If you only have some internship under your belt you probably need to aim lower unless you are in a major metro area where wages are super high.

i've found that stress varies by workplace, not by job performed.
If you are in a place where you are constantly hamstrung by budget and can't get decent equipment, but are still expected to make everything work perfectly yeah, a systems admin will get stressed. But someplace where they are supportive of IT with equipment and training will be much less stressful.

Of course, if you take a job like helpdesk staff, yeah, that's about 90% stress.

High level administration will be stressful as you continually worry about stuff. You will be hard pressed to find an IT job that makes 60k and very little stress.

High level administration will be stressful as you continually worry about stuff. You will be hard pressed to find an IT job that makes 60k and very little stress.

I don't agree.
If you are given the right tools and are compentant, you shouldn't be worried since you have failover in place.
Like if my main file server pukes onto our computer room floor, i know i can have people back working in about 20 minutes.

it would be stressful if it happens, but the prospect of failure shouldn't stress you out if you are prepared.

it would be stressful if it happens, but the prospect of failure shouldn't stress you out if you are prepared.

Stress is not caused by failure as any tech worth his salt should be prepaired for that. it's the intevitable screaming and panicing of people who dont support nor understand it but want it fixed "now" that make this type of job stressfull..

However i have not seen him respond to my question about his experience in regards to his wage requirements.

I understand that stress is going to be there I was just wondering what Techie job has less of it and could still get myself a good paycheck. I live in Norfolk Virginia by the way. My biggest problem at the current is should I do trade school or 4 year college? I am in a community college right now but hate all the non field related instructions (math, english, Health) all seems a waste considering I am going into a technical field.

I don't agree.
If you are given the right tools and are compentant, you shouldn't be worried since you have failover in place.
Like if my main file server pukes onto our computer room floor, i know i can have people back working in about 20 minutes.

Oh that's funny. I've found stress doesn't come from the equipment or the worrying thereof, but rather dealing with the rest of the organization who believes in magic, and your ability to apply it to their needs RIGHT NOW.

For example, I have a city director that wants two network cameras out at some park ( funny story; They built this park beyond police patrol limits. So they want cameras out there so the dispatchers can watch and call the cops out as needed. Of course they didn't bother to ask the IT dept before going ahead with the plan to build the park, we're only brought in after the fact to make it work. But don't spend too much. hahahaa. No fiber in the city either, which is another funny story altogether ), the only problem is one of these cameras would need about two t1s worth of bandwidth, and that's all we have to work with within the budget we've been given.

Stress never comes from the machines; It comes from the techno-idiots who believe you can do magic, you just don't want to do it for them.

Hey guys, I am really confused about something in my life, my carrer. I really like computers but I dont know what field I should go into, so here are some things I need for a good job and maybe you guys can help me figure out what I should go into.

make atleast 60k a year
Work with people
I like to build things (DIYer etc.)
Working Inside

There are SOOOOO many different areas to get into. What I turned towards a few years ago...was being a consultant for small business networks. I don't necessarily mean Microsoft Small Business Server..although that's what I try to focus on as a product for my setups, but...you know, being the IT support for all those different little businesses out there. Law firms, dentist offices, doctors office, healthcare, insurance companies, small schools, golf courses, yacht brokers, architect firms, construction and contract companies, yacht brokers, chamber of commerce, etc. Literally any type of business that you can find..if they have a handful of computers..from several, up to say..50 computers...that's the ideal candidate. The sweet spot for me is between a dozen and fifty. Under 10x PCs..practically any high school kid can setup a peer to peer network for 50 bucks an hour. But get over 10...and you should have a server or more involved..now's where expertise comes in...and you can charge 100 - 125 or more an hour. Get much past 50 PCs..and the company is probably big enough to have its own IT staff..thus you're not needed.

Different environments...different people, different setups, different needs, always something different. You get to take control, and design your baby. Something different all the time. Big projects are especially fun..to design something...implement in..and see it get put to use.

No "stuck behind a cubicle from 9 to 5" stuff.....living by the time clock. I could never go back to that. Get up early..do some remote work (from home) of servers and clients networks. Checking e-mail, then at your own pace hit the road somewhere around mid morning to start doing onsites.

Hours vary by demand...some weeks I feel I only put 20 - 30 hours in..other weeks..sure, you can hump your butt off on big projects and hit 50 - 60 hours. But on the average...mid 30-ish hours and that 60k/year is an easy target to pass.

I understand that stress is going to be there I was just wondering what Techie job has less of it and could still get myself a good paycheck. I live in Norfolk Virginia by the way. My biggest problem at the current is should I do trade school or 4 year college? I am in a community college right now but hate all the non field related instructions (math, english, Health) all seems a waste considering I am going into a technical field.

I felt the same way when I was going through tech school. Now I see it all tie together.

Back