I need Ram that will hit 280mhz+ on a K8N Neo2.

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hey all:

I currently have some cheap Samsung DDR in my PC and I am looking to upgrade. I need a Gig of RAM.

I currently am able to reach a speed of 245mhz on my Samsung Ram but that is about it. I need some RAM that will let me overclock higher, in the upper 280's.

Suggestions??

I wouldn't mind spending towards the 250+ range for 1 GB, but I do not want to spend A LOT more to get only a LITTLE more performance. So best bang/buck would be good.

Thanks!!

-fro

why do you need 280mhz? just use a ram divider? ;)
i would just get a second one of whatever you have now

280mhz htt. You could get that easily with a divider.

Find whatever divider is an equivelent of running ram at 7/10 the speed of your cpu htt, and you're good to go. Htt = 280 while the ram will be at 196.

Your ram will do 245, eh? Use a divider of 85/100 or the equivelent. I don't know what the exact ratios are, but that's the closets you will get. That will run the ram at 238 mhz.

Project_2501 said:
280mhz htt. You could get that easily with a divider.

Find whatever divider is an equivelent of running ram at 7/10 the speed of your cpu htt, and you're good to go. Htt = 280 while the ram will be at 196.

Your ram will do 245, eh? Use a divider of 85/100 or the equivelent. I don't know what the exact ratios are, but that's the closets you will get. That will run the ram at 238 mhz.

Actually I am already running a divider on my Samsung. My Ram's real speed is somehwhere around 198mhz.

Won't the decrease in memory speed by using a divider decrease overall system performance?!?!

That's the beauty of an AMD, because they're never really running synched to each toher anyway (CPU and ram) it doesn't matter, and hardly effects performance.

alright..well, how about lower latency RAM..won't that affect performance?

If I get crap memory, the RAM will run at higher timing. If I get good RAM, I can reach higher speeds with low latency??

?

Also, if this is true of the divider - why do people get TCCD mem for their A64's ???

-fro

I have an update.

So, just out of curiosity, I set my mem divider to 133mhz (it was at 166mhz and able to reach 250 FSB).

I booted back into windows and started cranking my fsb up by 1mhz starting from 200FSB.

The very odd thing is, that I STILL could not get over 250mhz, even with the divider set even lower @ 133mhz on my memory.

Anyone have an idea why that is?

I even tried upping the voltage to 2.65 and it didn't even budge from 250. Once it gets to 250 it locks up.

I had my mult set at 8x and my HTT set at 4x (I even tried setting my HTT mult @ 3x and it still didn't go past 250).

I'm hitting some kind of ceiling w/my memory and I am confused as to the reason.

-fro

looks like your board/chipset is crapping out above 250.

are you running 1T or 2T?

(cf)Eclipse said:
set agp to 67mhz, and make sure you don't have sata drives on ports 1 or 2
neo2 doesnt do that, mine works fine up to 315htt with 66mhz set. If the PCI bus was becoming unlocked, he wouldve had instability before 250htt.

there were some bios's with my neo that left the agp unlocked at 66mhz.. i just set it at 67mhz out of habit after a while. still do the same on my dfi :rolleyes: :p

and yeah, sata drives usually top out under 230mhz.. still worth a check though

I have a question, so, I have my hdd on sata channel 1 on my DFI, does that matter, or should it not be on 1 or 2 like you just said about the MSI that he has?

ports 1&2 are not locked on teh MSI board, i dunno about the DFI.

you will get HDD corruption and instability with high HTT settings if your drives are on ports 1/2

Well, no problem then I guess, I can get into windows stable with an HTT of around 340. I guess the DFI doesn't have problems.

Dunkin' Donuts Blueberry Iced Coffee is pretty good. Just finished drinking mine. The actual coffee taste somewhat burnt as always, but it's still good.

lithium726 said:
looks like your board/chipset is crapping out above 250.

are you running 1T or 2T?

2T..although I tried both

(cf)Eclipse said:
set agp to 67mhz, and make sure you don't have sata drives on ports 1 or 2

Yes @ 67 and I have no SATA drives..

-fro

curious..
it's possible that you have hit the limit of the board.. though kinda unlikely. have you updated the bios?

and to answer this question:
"Also, if this is true of the divider - why do people get TCCD mem for their A64's ???"
cause they're clueless and follow what the masses do (to those of you with tccd, no offense. i don't care for the stuff ;))

(cf)Eclipse said:
curious..

and to answer this question:
"Also, if this is true of the divider - why do people get TCCD mem for their A64's ???"
cause they're clueless and follow what the masses do (to those of you with tccd, no offense. i don't care for the stuff ;))
Or, like me, they bought it when it came out becuase they needed some good memory after a 512stick went tits-up and we didnt know that dividers worked really well on a64's yet

;)

lithium726 said:
Or, like me, they bought it when it came out becuase they needed some good memory after a 512stick went tits-up and we didnt know that dividers worked really well on a64's yet

;)
that's a valid excuse, i think quite a few people are like that. anyone who does it now is probably just insane :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
that's a valid excuse, i think quite a few people are like that. anyone who does it now is probably just insane :p

bah, I really hope it isn't the board!

hmmm

Back