I need RAM! lots of RAM!

XDUDE23

n00b
Alright, I have hit the RAM limits over the years, but this time I am a bit stumped as to how I should handle this current problem.

My current computer has 8GB, not much but has done me well till now. My new rig indesign I am thinking of at least 32GB, maybe as much as 128GB.

My part that I can not figure out is weather I should use unbuffered, or fully buffered ram..

What is the real benefit of using FB ram? Will I need as much if I use FB, or should I just use a good amount of high speed unbuffered.

Any input?

What is the real benefit of using FB ram? Will I need as much if I use FB, or should I just use a good amount of high speed unbuffered.

The issue with that is this generally not a choice you can make without switching your system motherboard, memory and processor. The memory controller dictates what types of ram are supported. Most desktops will use only unbuffered ram. Most servers will require registered ram. Some will older servers require FB dimms. And some new servers (lga1155 xeon) will even require unbuffered ram.

My new rig indesign I am thinking of at least 32GB, maybe as much as 128GB.

There is little chance you will get that in a desktop board. However this is possible in a xeon board or possibly magnycours. A desktop option be to wait 2 weeks and pick up a lga2011 quad channel board with 8 slots (each supporting up to 8GB dimms). However 8 GB unbuffered dimms are expensive so a cheaper option will be the xeon version and registered dimms.

Last edited:
Good points. I know that I will have to build a different rig if I go FB, but just not sure if it is worth it. I have heard that it is good for renderings, but not sure if it even matters if I am talking 32-128Gb+ of normal ram anyways.

The board I am currently looking at:
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6000/SR56x0/H8DG6-F.cfm

But a different board will be used IF it is indeed worth the converting to FB ram. Sorry, I was tired when I posted before, should of gave more details. I am fully planning a workstation / server build. The desktops these days are insane but still, even the best do not come close to the amount of RAM I need.

Also, the programs I am running for my renderings: E-on Vue, Lightwave 3D, 3D's Max, Maya & also the Adobe Master Collection.

AFAIK no Intel chipset supports more than 32gb of non-ecc ram, so I think you are stuck going FB. If you give a crap about stability, and you actually use all that ram at once, then ECC is the way to go anyways when you're talking about that much ram.

Good points. I know that I will have to build a different rig if I go FB, but just not sure if it is worth it. I have heard that it is good for renderings, but not sure if it even matters if I am talking 32-128Gb+ of normal ram anyways.

The board I am currently looking at:
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6000/SR56x0/H8DG6-F.cfm

But a different board will be used IF it is indeed worth the converting to FB ram. Sorry, I was tired when I posted before, should of gave more details. I am fully planning a workstation / server build. The desktops these days are insane but still, even the best do not come close to the amount of RAM I need.

Also, the programs I am running for my renderings: E-on Vue, Lightwave 3D, 3D's Max, Maya & also the Adobe Master Collection.

This solution will be fine. I suggest using 8 or 16 GB registered ECC DDR3 DIMMs instead of trying to populate it with 4GB unbuffered DDR3 dimms.

Also remember that each CPU has 8 dimm slots tied to so you will need 2 magny cours processors to use the second set of dimm slots.

If you give a crap about stability, and you actually use all that ram at once, then ECC is the way to go anyways when you're talking about that much ram.

Yeah, I need it to be stable for sure. On my current system I have had renders take as long as 3 months with no problems, so very much need that kind of stable performance in this new build.

I would not go for FB dimms since they are not used in current Intel offerings and AMD never supported these.

I know their support is not as grand as it used to be, but again I heard rumors that FB ram was a good choice for renderings. But, could of been told wrong.

This solution will be fine. I suggest using 8 or 16 GB registered ECC DDR3 DIMMs instead of trying to populate it with 4GB unbuffered DDR3 dimms.

Also remember that each CPU has 8 dimm slots tied to so you will need 2 magny cours processors to use the second set of dimm slots.

Yeah, I spoke wrong. I never planed on going with unbuffered. I was just trying to figure out FB or normal REG-ECC. I love that board because I can run one 12 core with 64gb of ram, then have room to add another 12 core with 64gb more ram, and still be able to upgrade later to dual 16 cores with 256gb total. I love building rigs with lots of upgrades available! I get sick of building a new system from the ground up every time It gets a bit slow.

yea that a huge amount of ram,

i would say go sandybridge - E grab the 8 DIMM board and put in 4gb x 8 = 32 gb with a 6 core 12 thread CPU and call it a day.

I'm just really curious to know what you are rendering where a single render would take three months. Are you doing full Hollywood movie sequences on your rig?

I'm also kinda curious of what you are using your rig with...anyway, FB's advantage might be it's stability...if you are really more concerned about speed, maybe unbuffered would be a better choice.

The most cost effective choice to get a ton of ram (assuming you aren't CPU limited) is C32.

Asus board for $270

Get 2 4-core Procs @ $110 ea
or
Get 2 6-core procs @ $190 ea.

Buy 8 * 8GB ddr3 ecc reg = 64GB for $700 total
Buy 8 * 16GB ddr3 ecc reg = 128GB @ for $1800-$1900

If you can live with 32GB, you can put in 32GB (16GB/socket) of ddr3 unbuff for ~ $150

On the cheap side, you can do a 32G ram system for $650'ish, a 64G ram system for $1200-$1300 or 128G system for about $2500

Last edited:
Back