I need new video card, dunno what and do I need to upgrade pc ?

D

Deleted member 133315

I haven't bought a new video card for a few years, mainly due to very bad health which has caused a drastic loss of income and has caused me to lose interest in everything I loved doing since I feel tired most of the time and still hurt alot.

My pc specs are this.

Corsair 800D case
Asus z170 pro gaming mobo
i7 6700k @ stock speeds, vcore is 1.15v and it runs great.
32gb ram corsair vengeance LPX Black
Samsung 850 evo 512gb ssd
Corsair force series 240gb ssd
OCZ summit 128gb ssd still going strong
Xonar soundcard as onboard crackles like shit.
Chord Mojo DAC and AMP when listening to music only.
8TB of normal HDD's
2.5TB of USB 3 HDD enclosures
128 gig corsair gtx flash drive
256 gig flash card in monitor
Corsair AX1500i titanium psu
Corsair h100gtx cpu cooler
Highpoint R620A PCIe x2 SAT3 PCIE
Evga Classified 680gtx 4GB, the non crippled version, still has the hardware overclocking pins intact.
NZXT USB IU01 internal usb expansion board
LG Bluray Burner
Dell u2410 with soundbar
Logitech g910 orion spectrum
Corsair m65
Asus ac3200 router using merlins firmware
Thrustmaster warthog hotas
Saitek combat rudder pedals
TrackIR

I used to fly simulations alot and play fps like arma and insurgency but I have basically stopped all that since my accident and other health related shit that came to a head last year.

Now I want to get back into gaming and since I have been away from the scene for a long time I would like some help in upgrading my rig if it is needed.

Obviously the video card needs upgrading, but I dont know which one is the best, their is sooo many different versions of the 1080 I am completely lost.

Also I would like a new monitor but again I dont know the good ones out there, but what about the other stuff, Its barely used, I built the pc at the very end of 2015 and got ill begining of 2016 and I never got a chance to really use it, so is it worth just upgrading the video card and monitor or would I be better off selling everything and buying all new stuff ?

Basically, what should I keep and what should I upgrade and if upgrade, what should I upgrade it to ?

Thanks for any help as I used to keep upto date with stuff but I am a good 18 months behind.

Do you have a resolution or refresh rate preference? Adaptive sync or not? What about a budget for these upgrades? New or used preference? AMD or Nvidia preference?

If you stick with that monitor, the gtx 1060 or 1070 should be fine. But I'd like to know more before I throw out more information. For $260 I'm not sure you'll find a better performer than this MSI 1060 Gaming X, although there are AMD RX480's with a similar price and performance range.

Since dollars spent on GPU horsepower impacts gaming the most, I could also see choosing a brand of 1080ti (budget dependent) getting you the most performance possible on this platform, regardless of monitor choice.

Where are you currently feeling performances limitstions?

The rest of your comp is good, would you consider overclocking of your CPU?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am an nvidia dude, their drivers seem to be more stable but since ive been away for a while shit may of changed.

I would like a 4-5k monitor to go along with my spare tv, I would of used my 4k tv but it only outputs 30fps in 4:4:4 mode :(

My dell monitor has to go, I could use it as a spare for my x58 rig thats in pieces as I want to setup a jriver server but thats another story.

Basically I would like a new monitor, 4k or as close to it as possible and it has to be atleast 60hz minimum, faster if possible 120hz would be great.

I would easily OC my cpu and also buy faster ram if needed, the video card if I go 4k then I guess sli is the answer, if not 4k I would like a minimum of 1440p resolution and again fast hz 100+

I also would like 10bit panel.

I know my pc is a generation old now, I did read that my cpu would fit in a z270 mobo and since 270 brings new stuff to the table would it be wise to get a new mobo aswell or would the new features not work unless its a 7700 cpu thats in it ?

Basically I want,

New video card/s
Monitor 4k or as close as possible with good hz
Maybe new case, but it would have to be bigger than 800d

Oh, am in the uk so prices are in £ for me

Lol, looking at your sig, I have the same gigabyte x58a udr 3 rev 2.0 board, magic board one of the best I have used, its sitting in its box with an i7 930 and 12 gig ram in it.

I haven't bought a new video card for a few years, mainly due to very bad health which has caused a drastic loss of income and has caused me to lose interest in everything I loved doing since I feel tired most of the time and still hurt alot.

My pc specs are this.

Corsair 800D case
Asus z170 pro gaming mobo
i7 6700k @ stock speeds, vcore is 1.15v and it runs great.
32gb ram corsair vengeance LPX Black
Samsung 850 evo 512gb ssd
Corsair force series 240gb ssd
Xonar soundcard as onboard crackles like shit.
Chord Mojo DAC and AMP when listening to music only.
8TB of normal HDD's
2.5TB of USB 3 HDD enclosures
128 gig corsair gtx flash drive
256 gig flash card in monitor
Corsair AX1500i titanium psu
Corsair h100gtx cpu cooler
Highpoint R620A PCIe x2 SAT3 PCIE
Evga Classified 680gtx 4GB, the non crippled version, still has the hardware overclocking pins intact.
NZXT USB IU01 internal usb expansion board
LG Bluray Burner
Dell u2410 with soundbar
Logitech g910 orion spectrum
Corsair m65
Asus ac3200 router using merlins firmware
Thrustmaster warthog hotas
Saitek combat rudder pedals
TrackIR

I used to fly simulations alot and play fps like arma and insurgency but I have basically stopped all that since my accident and other health related shit that came to a head last year.

Now I want to get back into gaming and since I have been away from the scene for a long time I would like some help in upgrading my rig if it is needed.

Obviously the video card needs upgrading, but I dont know which one is the best, their is sooo many different versions of the 1080 I am completely lost.

Also I would like a new monitor but again I dont know the good ones out there, but what about the other stuff, Its barely used, I built the pc at the very end of 2015 and got ill begining of 2016 and I never got a chance to really use it, so is it worth just upgrading the video card and monitor or would I be better off selling everything and buying all new stuff ?

Basically, what should I keep and what should I upgrade and if upgrade, what should I upgrade it to ?

Thanks for any help as I used to keep upto date with stuff but I am a good 18 months behind.

980 Ti then scrap for Volta after better panels come out

Zero reason to get a new CPU, you'd see literally no change in 90+% of games. A new motherboard would also be throwing money away.

Pick up a 1080Ti or if you want to wait for Volta, a 980Ti (vast improvement over your current card) as the poster above suggested. That's all you need.

So no need for a 1080 ? or is the next gen about to be released soon ?

In the next 6 months or so, I believe. So if you want to wait, a 980Ti for $300 or less is the current price to performance leader on the used market.

Good idea, see I had no clue that a new gen of cards were coming out soon, saying that the 1080s seem to of been around for ages compared to previous gen cards.

Just have to get my monitor sorted, but if volta is less than six months out, then I would be best to wait til then before buying, I def want a 4k monitor and decent card/s that will have no problems with it.

Cheers peeps, as I cant wait to get back to flying and shooting jihadis.

Just a warning: if you buy one of these brand-new 144Hz 10-bit 4k monitor, you'll only be able to run them at 60Hz, 8-bit until you get a new video card.

Two 144Hz 4k 10-bit monitors announced:

https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor.1921591/
https://hardforum.com/threads/acer-x27-4k-144hz-hdr-gsync.1930901/

GTX 680 only has DP1.2 output. Might as well upgrade both at the same time.

I guarantee Vega won't be any faster than what Nvidia 1080 Ti has on-offer right now. And Volta consumer cards most likely won't be around until 2018, so I wouldn't wait. The recent GTX 1080Ti drop should be all you need to power this for relatively cheap - go with two just to be sure.

AMD's Fury X didn't so much as budge prices on the Nvidia end. They matched the GTX 980 Ti price with less performance and didn't challenge shit. I don't understand why the hopeful on this forum are thinking otherwise with Vega - AMD has to make money off their high-end too!

Nvidia already dropped the price of the GTX 1080 to $500 and the 1070 to $350 to make room for the 1080Ti. It's not going lower because of AMD, who can't even compete with a 1070. The 1060 hasn't moved an inch.

Last edited:
Oh, so volta cards wont be around til next year, that changes things quite a bit.

So now it looks like I will get a 980ti/1080ti to tide me over and when volta comes out I will get a new monitor and video card/s because I am dead set on getting a 4/5k monitor.

Cheers

The Supercomputer-level GV100 (HBM2) and Tegra-level Volta will ship this year.

But the rest will wait for 2018, when GDDR6 will be shipping.

And I wouldn't expect GTX 2080 to be much faster than the 1080Ti, because there's no die shrink to help the performance jump. Think GTX 780Ti is SLIGHTLY SLOWER THAN GTX 980, more of a cost/power reduction than a performance bump.

The Titan based on Volta will be faster, but that might wait until end of 2018. So yeah, your GTX 1080Ti purchase will have long legs, indeed.

Last edited:
GTX1080ti. Buy once, cry once.

Until you upgrade. ;)

The rest of your rig looks pretty good. If you're going to upgrade your monitor, get a gpu which will have legs. You're looking at a year+ of great gaming with a 1080ti. Enjoy it now...

Best bang for your buck right now is definitely a used 980ti in the FS/FT subforum. I just sold mine last week for $265 shipped because people aren't really biting near the $300 point anymore on them. Mine was an AMP Extreme version, too, so you're talking better than 1070 performance for under $300. That's pretty huge value, imo.

Back