I need help with my Packet Tracer assignment

1337h4x0r

Weaksauce
I really need help on my assignment and I regret taking online classes for this course since its hard to get in touch with the professor and the forum where the student posts are not really active. But I had a busy schedule this semester so night classes were a no-go.

Anyway, its hard to explain it on here without you guys looking at the actual configuration setup (you're going to need the PacketTracer for this since its a .pka file):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WFZ4J908

My questions are:

1) Task 3: Step 8 -

"Enter the command necessary to insure the interface is fully configured.
If you are not sure what the command is, review the discussion in Section 2.2: Directly Connected Networks

R2(config-if)#_________________________

After you enter the correct command, you should see debug output similar to the following:

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/0/0, changed state to up
RT: interface Serial0/0/0 added to routing table
RT: SET_LAST_RDB for 172.16.2.0/24
NEW rdb: is directly connected

RT: add 172.16.2.0/24 via 0.0.0.0, connected metric [0/0]
RT: NET-RED 172.16.2.0/2"

Found nothing in the book other than the "no shutdown" command but it doesn't show the same output as the one in Task 3 - Step 8.

2) Task 3: Step 7 - "Enter the command necessary to insure the interface is fully configured.

R1(config-if)#____________________"

What is the command for this one? I already tried "show interfaces" but it says invalid command.

3) Task 3: Step 9 - "Enter the command to verify that the new route is now in the routing table for R1 and R2.

Your output should look similar to the following output. There should now be two routes in the routing table for R1 and one route in the table for R2. What command did you use?

R1#___________________________
Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP
i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area
* - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

172.16.0.0/24 is subnetted, 2 subnets
C 172.16.2.0 is directly connected, Serial0/0/0
C 172.16.3.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0 R1#

R2#____________________________
Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP
i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area
* - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

172.16.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C 172.16.2.0 is directly connected, Serial0/0/0
R2#"

As you can see, when you type in "show ip route", the outcome isn't similar to what it should be. R1 is missing C 172.16.2.0 is directly connected, Serial0/0/0 and my C 172.16.3.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0 doesn't say R1# in there.

4) Task 3: Step 10 - "Configure the WAN connection between R2 and R3.

Using the table of addresses found at the begining of this activity configure and enable the serial 0/0/1 interfaces to establish a WAN connection between R2 and R3. (Do not forget to set the clock rate to 64000 on the serial 0/0/1 interface of R2.)"

I'm not sure how to approach this problem. Isn't there a DTE and DCE link between the two already?

Other than those, was everything else correct?

From the cursory look I saw,

You need to ensure you activate the interfaces after you've configured them. In this case, the serial interface on R1 was in the shutdown state, which is why you don't see the 172 network between R1 and R2.

If the cabling was already done when you started the lab (which it was since you pulled up the lab via the curriculum), all you have to do between R2 and R3 is move your cursor over the serial interface to see which is the DCE and DTE. The DCE side will have a small clock appear next to the serial interface.

You can also do show controllers.

The only other thing is to make sure you configure the static routes right.

First: on the DCE side (which appears to be R2, int s0/0/1) you need to issue the command "clock rate 64000" in interface config mode.

Second: "no shut" on both serial interfaces

Third: exit config mode and "show interfaces" (it said invalid command because you were still in interface config mode and didn't prepend the command with a "do").

Forth: verify both sides are "up/up"

Fifth: "show ip route"

Sixth: ping across the serial link

No static routes are needed because we are only dealing with connected networks apparently. I don't have packet tracer but this is just what I gleaned from your explanation.

Last edited:
you can always use 'do' if you want to remain in config mode, but check something

R1(config-if)#do sh run int Serial0/0/0
R1(config-if)#do sh int Serial0/0/0
R1(config-if)#do sh int status | inc Se0/0/0

If networking is what you want to get into I would highly suggest retaking the class in a proper classroom environment with hands-on learning and instruction.

Back