I need help to diagnose a possible issue with my GTX 285

magictoaster

Limp Gawd
I need help to diagnose a possible issue with my GTX 285.

My setup:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz
3x2048 MB GSKILL DDR3-1600
BFG GTX 285 Maxcore OC2 1024MB
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional PCIe
2x640GB WD Caviar Black
620W Corsair 620HX
Vista Ultimate x64

I’m not overclocking at the moment, so everything is at stock speed, and my issue can be reproduced on a brand new OS installation. Prime95 will run for hours without any errors but whenever I start a game (Left4Dead, F.E.A.R. 2) I’ll only be able to play a few minutes (usually no more than 5) before it locks up. The screen will go into power saver mode, and after a few seconds it will come back to a BSOD (error with nvlddmkm.dll).

I’ve tried the video card in the 2nd and 3rd PCIe slot, same result. I’ve removed (not just disabled) the Sound Blaster, same result.

I’ll be receiving a new PSU soon (Antec SG-850), so I’ll be able to test it and rule out any possible issue with my current PSU. I have not yet tried another video card (not many GTX 285 lying around ;) ), but I will probably be able to get my hands on an old 9800 GT PCIe this week to see if it makes any difference.

I’m leaning toward an issue with the BFG GTX 285, but I could be wrong. Anyone have an idea? It would be much appreciated! :D

Maybe a dead power supply, maybe dead RAM.

Try Intel Burn Test to try to replicate the error. Prime95 is a pretty old program and the i7 CPU's are a new architecture, so you never know what it may be missing. Stress that using full stress mode, and let it run a few times.

Also try Furmark on stability mode, and pay attention to your GPU temp during the process, and see where it freezes at, if at all.

I doubt that corsair power supply is the issue, though.

I've run IntelBurn Test 1.9 for 10 loops and the system passed 10 out of 10 tests. I'll try running Furmark again, but when I did, it ran fine for about 10 minutes, at 86 celcius.

I've looked (with GPU-Z and NVIDIA control panel) at my GTX 285 clocks and there is something strange. The BFG GTX 285 OC2 should be running at 691/2592/1566, but mine is at 694/2592/1584 without any overclocking... I'll try running the default clock (648/2484/1476) and see if it's stable.

Wow! I'll still do some testing, but using the default BFG OC2 clocks (691/2592/1566) Left4Dead or F.E.A.R. 2 will not run more than 5 minutes (at best). But when underclocked to 648/2484/1476, it's smooth, with no crashes...

You'll never eliminate heat entirely. magictoaster, how many hard drives and optical drives do you have connected? Try disconnecting a non-boot drive, and your optical drives to allow some more wattage to flow from your power supply. Maybe the power supply is the issue then.

Sounds like a heat issue. Can you try increasing your fan speed prior to starting the game.

I've got 5 fans in my case : 3 Noctua NF-S12 and 2 Noctua NF-P12 (for the CPU cooler). On case fan is in front of the HDDs (2x640GB WD Caviar Black), and the other two are at the rear of the case (Antec P180, so one on the rear, and one on top).

Even when running the case open, the card will crash at OC2 clocks, but will run perfectly at non oc speed.

@RADEoN: I've tried running with only one HDD (boot) and no optical drive, same results.

BTW, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

No I meant the GPU fan. I seem to remember getting the same BSOD. I think I solved it by increasing the fan speed in the Catalyst control center.

Oups! Sorry for that! I'll try adjusting it manually and let you know how it goes!

Edit: With the fan at 90% (sounds like a jet engine), it still crash (BSOD). For now, it's only stable when running at non BFG OC2 clock. :(

Try using something like EVGA Precision to see what the temps are while playing a game and see what temps you hit when you crash. I've seen games like Crysis put more work on a GPU than Furmark. Once your GPU hits past 90 I'd say you'll have a possibility for stability issues.

load up riva tuner and look at your temps when you load a game, if it STILL crashes and the temps are normal, it could be

PSU or Drivers are conflicting with something on your system,

have you tried other drivers?

from the updates, it's either psu or the card

Hence why I said to see what happens with no opticals or spare hard drives hooked up.

First thing, down-clock the video card, and try again.

However, I see you get a blue screen ... not a freeze, so try running the ram at 1066, or increasing your QPI/uncore voltage for 1600. What is the QPI frequency and voltage at right now? I had to increase QPI/uncore voltage for 1600 on my i7 setup.

Like RADEoN suggested, I did a test with no optical drive, no sound card, and only one HDD. Same results. Like I said, the only way I can avoid the BSOD is when I’m down clocking the video card bellow the default BFG OC2 clocks. At 648/2484/1476, it’s perfectly stable but at 691/2592/1566, it crashes every time. The temperature never goes above 75 Celsius.

I’ll look at the QPI/uncore clock and voltage tonight when I’m back at home, but right now, everything is set to auto in the BIOS.

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking, but I really wanted some ideas before bothering Jeff @ BFG with this. ;)

Thanks!

At 648/2484/1476, it’s perfectly stable but at 691/2592/1566, it crashes every time.

bingo... nVidia should really do something about these vendors that sell broken cards. I have one myself, reflashed to stock speed at the moment. I don't know how they bin the cards, but they're not doing it right, having read 2 different PC forums for the last 3 months.

@xorbe
My guess is that for each troublesome card, hundreds work properly. So far, BFG support has been great so I’ll wait and see what they have to say about this. My last OC’ed BFG worked great, and before that so did my EVGA.
Time to take advantage of that lifetime warranty! :D

I get this exact same problem when I try to overclock my 285, so I've been leaving it at stock. Sounds like your card isn't working with the factory overclocked settings, which would be an RMA in my book. Mine is just a vanilla EVGA, so I can't expect it to overclock (though I am disappointed that is doesn't). BTW - I have the same PSU. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the issue.

Considering my PSU was working fine with my last setup, I doubt it’s the cause of my problems. I should receive and Antec SG-850 so I’ll know for sure. I’ve sent a support request to BFG with a description of the issue. Hopefully it will go smoothly.

That was fast… I received an email from BFG. It’s RMA time...

Given our history, I would like to see this through to ensure you get a working card for a replacement. As stated before, please get in touch with me tomorrow or let me know what time to call you :)

Given our history, I would like to see this through to ensure you get a working card for a replacement. As stated before, please get in touch with me tomorrow or let me know what time to call you :)

Wow talk about customer satisfaction. I know where I'm buying my next vid card.

@patrickgerry
I can only talk about my experience, but they have been exceptional so far so one defective part will not change my mind about them.

Back