I need help picking a motherboard

Vorret

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I just got shipping confirmation on my GPU and since all I need now is a motherboard and a CPU I'm kinda confused as to what I should get to match my build, it's been over 7 years since I've done one and there are a bunch of new things that confuses me and I'd hate to get something that would end up being wrong since I orinally wanted to make it somewhat budget but the GPU ended up costing 900$ Canadian (taxes in, obviously) so the budget went out the window but I'd still like it if I could find a decent motherboard for under 200$ CAD IF possible.

So, parts, here's what I have so far :

GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3070
Ram : Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 (32gb 4 8gb sticks)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2
PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x I don't have it, sadly but that's what I plan to get, it's on pre-order.

Now I've read that those ram sticks are good to OC which I've never done but they are a good match for Ryzen CPUs, I originally had purchased a MSI Gaming Edge Plus WI-FI before Black Friday but for some reason the retailer decided to cancel it without telling me, it was a pretty good deal with the Steam rebate but now it's way overpriced, what's a decent but not too expensive alternative? I'm more of a "plug and play" type of builder, I don't mind playing with the RAM OC a bit but I won't get into crazy overclocks on anything I just want it to work and work well, the WIFI isn't needed as I have a WIFI dongle at home I purchased for my old PC before it died on me.

I'm super excited about the whole project coming for a core2duo and a 7950 so ... yay !

Thanks hopefully I posted it in the right sub-forum!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It sounds like pretty much any B550 or X570 board should work. Do you have any form factor or color/RGB feature requirements you left out?

I've had several of these Gigabyte Aorus Elite boards, and they've all been great in terms of "working" and "not sucking in any obvious way." I'm typing this post on a machine with the B450 one, and it's been fine.
Here's the X570 one. https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite/p/N82E16813145160

You can go with B550 if you want to save a few bucks, and you probably won't notice the difference. In fact, I can't even remember what the difference is, other than that the RX6000 cards have some features that only work on X570... because reasons.

I'm re-using my old case, no windows, so RGB is useless to me but it's a mid-tower so ATX fits fine !
Thanks I'll check it out :)

Might go with 2x16 instead of 4x8 for the RAM - some boards are still a bit more picky there than others when it comes to 2 vs 4 sticks.

I'll second the Aorus Elite - mine works "fine", or any of the higher-end MSI boards. Asus TUF is also solid, in the budget range, either 550 or x570. The best budget x570 is the Tomahawk, but good luck finding one. Avoid Aorus Master. Avoid cheaper MSI boards (anything under the Ace or Unify). Don't know on ASRock.

Might go with 2x16 instead of 4x8 for the RAM - some boards are still a bit more picky there than others when it comes to 2 vs 4 sticks.

I'll second the Aorus Elite - mine works "fine", or any of the higher-end MSI boards. Asus TUF is also solid, in the budget range, either 550 or x570. The best budget x570 is the Tomahawk, but good luck finding one. Avoid Aorus Master. Avoid cheaper MSI boards (anything under the Ace or Unify). Don't know on ASRock.
Apparently, there is a significant performance benefit to using four ranks’ worth of memory sticks on Ryzen 5000.

Apparently, there is a significant performance benefit to using four ranks’ worth of memory sticks on Ryzen 5000.
Can get that on 2x16 though, without potentially fighting some of the issues with 4 sticks (two dual-ranked dimms).

I already have the ram actually I bought them for very cheap on black friday, only planned on getting 16gb but why not go for 32 when it's only 50$ more !

I managed to snag this motherboard since like CPU and GPU they seem to be a rarity and I have no computer store in my town so I have to use the web

MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Gaming​

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089CWDHFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So now all I need is a 5600x ... should be easy right guys?

Right...?

I already have the ram actually I bought them for very cheap on black friday, only planned on getting 16gb but why not go for 32 when it's only 50$ more !

I managed to snag this motherboard since like CPU and GPU they seem to be a rarity and I have no computer store in my town so I have to use the web

MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Gaming​

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089CWDHFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So now all I need is a 5600x ... should be easy right guys?

Right...?
Yep. Looked at that one plenty - as long as the limitations of B550 aren't an issue for you, it's good. I needed the extra PCIE lanes and the extra NVMe.

Back