I need help finding a Windows 7 driver

S-F

Gawd
I have a Lenovo D20 and I want to reinstall Windows 7 but I can't seem to find the driver for the SAS controller. I have found an .exe on the Lenovo site but that won't help me much during OS install. Does anyone have any ideas short of copying the entire contents of C:\Windows\System32\drivers to my install USB stick? It's only about 80 MB. Can I be sure that the driver is even in that folder? It's a Marvell 64xx/63xx SAS controller for the record.

Looks like some Marvel SAS Storage Driver and there's a .txt file with instructions on how to get it installed. You probably already have these links or you've already downloaded them but this should be all you need and the instructions show you how to install it on a Windows installation that's already done as well as how to install the drivers from the setup of Windows (the old F6 style methodology but Windows 7's installer can load a driver from a USB stick, that's what I mean with this method). The .exe file linked below has both the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers. The .txt file tells you how to install the driver in both usage scenarios (an already up and running OS or during the installation of one).

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/cdsas09ws17.txt

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/cdsas09ws17.exe

If you download the .exe file, execute it and it will offer to extract the files to a folder (looks like C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\SAS\CDSAS09WS17) and that's all it does. It does not actually install the driver, it just extracts them into that specific folder. After you do that, go to that folder in the root directory of C:\ then SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\SAS\CDSAS09WS17 and you'll see the files you require inside the i386 (the 32 bit drivers) or the amd64 (the 64 bit drivers) you require. Copy all the folder you require (the entire folder) based on your architecture (32 bit or 64 bit) to a USB stick that you can use - preferably the stick that you're using to install Windows 7 itself since that tends to be more popular than using an actual physical DVD anymore.

During the installation, at the point where you need to pick the drive where to install Windows there will be a button offering you the option to load drivers from a floppy/USB stick/etc and that's when you insert the stick (if necessary and if you didn't copy them to the USB installation stick for Windows, this would be relevant if you actually are using a physical DVD to install the OS). When you point it o the folder on the stick it should pick up the mvnodrv.inf file required to install the driver which will be inside the i386 or the amd64 folder with the actual drivers themselves.

That should be what you're looking for, good luck and I hope this helps.

Reactions: S-F
like this
Looks like some Marvel SAS Storage Driver and there's a .txt file with instructions on how to get it installed. You probably already have these links or you've already downloaded them but this should be all you need and the instructions show you how to install it on a Windows installation that's already done as well as how to install the drivers from the setup of Windows (the old F6 style methodology but Windows 7's installer can load a driver from a USB stick, that's what I mean with this method). The .exe file linked below has both the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers. The .txt file tells you how to install the driver in both usage scenarios (an already up and running OS or during the installation of one).

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/cdsas09ws17.txt

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/cdsas09ws17.exe

If you download the .exe file, execute it and it will offer to extract the files to a folder (looks like C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\SAS\CDSAS09WS17) and that's all it does. It does not actually install the driver, it just extracts them into that specific folder. After you do that, go to that folder in the root directory of C:\ then SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\SAS\CDSAS09WS17 and you'll see the files you require inside the i386 (the 32 bit drivers) or the amd64 (the 64 bit drivers) you require. Copy all the folder you require (the entire folder) based on your architecture (32 bit or 64 bit) to a USB stick that you can use - preferably the stick that you're using to install Windows 7 itself since that tends to be more popular than using an actual physical DVD anymore.

During the installation, at the point where you need to pick the drive where to install Windows there will be a button offering you the option to load drivers from a floppy/USB stick/etc and that's when you insert the stick (if necessary and if you didn't copy them to the USB installation stick for Windows, this would be relevant if you actually are using a physical DVD to install the OS). When you point it o the folder on the stick it should pick up the mvnodrv.inf file required to install the driver which will be inside the i386 or the amd64 folder with the actual drivers themselves.

That should be what you're looking for, good luck and I hope this helps.

Oh Snap! Perfect. Since the driver download I saw was an .exe I just assumed that it would be an installer. Yes I am going to install from a USB stick. I'll just toss a drivers folder on after I put everything else on there.

Thank. You!

Back