I Need help finding a Pico PSU + Brick

investinwaffles

Limp Gawd
Just pulled the trigger on this build from newegg :)
Didnt get a PSU though, I want to experiment with a Pico PSU.

I am figuring at least 150w for this setup. It will probably have a nice sound-card added soon though, and it will have a 1tb WD Greendrive internally as well, I think. Also, 2 140mm fans.
It would be awesome if I could pull a max stock volts overclock on the i3 550, but at the same time I dont really have to OC it.The ram is 1.65v though.

What Pico + Brick would be a high-quality setup for this?
I am looking on Short-Circuit at this 150w brick and Pico 150XT, but they are sold out. mini-box doesnt have any good adapters im seeing (id like it to be fanless, and just be a low mantinence, reliable unit). It is going to be for a SFF general desktop build (outlook, google chrome, iTunes lossless encoding, HD youtube, some 1080P .mkv). Nothing really too strenuous really.
Any suggestions on where to look?? Should I get a Pico 160XT and get a brick elsewhere?
I dont like the brick with this combo because it has a small plug (longevity vs a DIN plug??)

Build:
A little overkill on the ram, but it is just too cheap to pass up nowadays :D
I am pissed that I couldnt get one of those crazy microcenter $130 I5 750's before I came to FL, but it would be overkill anyway.
Receipt.jpg

EDIT:
The Lost Planet thing is a free deal with the X25-M :p (anyone wants it, ill sell it cheeeep)

Last edited:
Im more looking for an adapter now. I have decided to use the Pico 160/50tx, but no where do they sell a very high quality adapter.
The one you linked to only has an 80w adapter...

It would be awesome if I could pull a max stock volts overclock on the i3 550, but at the same time I dont really have to OC it.
Don't OC it. That effectively defeats the limited purpose of a Pico-PSU in the first place.

I dont like the brick with this combo because it has a small plug (longevity vs a DIN plug??)

Regardless of the plug, that PW200M still would have been a bad buy:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=207

Thanks danny, didnt really realize how bad that unit was.

Well, I think i narrowed it down. Since it is out of stock EVERYWHERE ELSE (literally everywhere I am chiecking), and since it is nearly impossible to find a website with a good quality 150w brick, i think im going to just get this one off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PicoPSU-150-XT-...?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item2ead66f82f#ht_1676wt_905

Does that look like an OK buy (meaning will it work properly)?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unfortunately I don't know whether or not that PicoPSU-150-XT is on the same level as the PW200M or the PicoPSU 120.

The Winmate is what I would recommend for most people since it's very simple. But with a little tweaking a Pico PSU can be better, as Mtn Hermit points out. Downside is that you need to fix the shortcomings of the weak barrel connector and maybe reroute stuff internally to avoid a low +12v rail.
The Pico PSU is also smaller, can be significant depending on the chassis you're using.

Well, i offered the guy $80 for the kit and he bit.
It has a 4 pin mini-din plug, and a 150w fanless adapter which is exactly what I want. On a low power i3 build it should be ample.

Anyways Im still thinking of shooting for a small overclock (maybe undervolt a stop and clock it to 3.4-6) and see how it does. Unfortunately I dont have a kill-o-watt handy at my parents house to test power consumption. So I might keep it at stock clocks undervolted depending on if I see any speed gains in the programs he uses.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it :)

Back