I Need an Action+Story Driven Game for the Wife

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Puterguru, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Puterguru

Puterguru 2[H]4U

Based on these 3 games.
    The Last of Us
    Uncharted
    Mass Effect

My wife LOVES all three of the above and it would be hard for her to pick a favorite. She loved Uncharted 4 so much that she went and bought 1, 2 and 3, and then The Lost Legacy when it came out. She finished them a while ago and now she is doing them all over again.

Mass Effect she has played (all of them) multiple times, then she bought and read the books.

I would really like to find her something else to enjoy. All three of the games above have 2 major things in common. They are story driven, with some action. No micro-management, no leveling up, no real "quest and side quests", just a mission with a story and some killing in between.

If you know of a game, then please let me know.

Thank you.

2. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

God of War. The boy has a little micro managing but mostly issue command to use his special attacks that are on a cool down. Your level is based off the gear you get and a skill tree. Nothing to complicated. The story is oh so worth it tho. You can pretty much ignore all the side quest also bit I wouldn't recommend it.

T4rd, BiH115 and scojer like this.
  3. EvilViking

EvilViking I Drank All Your Beer

Brothers: A Tale of 2 Sons

Pretty cool, story driven game

Kinsaras likes this.
  4. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

Metro 2033 + LL

5. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

I second God of War

It's an amazing and well done game.

If she's cool with horror (She played the Last of Us so I assume she is)

Then The Evil Within 1 & 2 might be worth trying out.

BiH115, primetime and vegeta535 like this.
  6. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

As others stated God of war is good also recommend Horizon zero dawn.

T4rd, BiH115 and vegeta535 like this.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

All 3 of the modern Tomb Raider games should fit the bill for anyone who likes Uncharted. Far Cry 5 should work, too.

BiH115, SPARTAN VI and Araxie like this.
  8. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

The Division is on sales right now for 7.50 on steam.

9. wra18th

wra18th [H]ardness Supreme

Leisure Suit Larry.

Brian_B and dgz like this.
  10. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

I'd say the Tomb Raider series would be a good choice too. God of War would be a great choice.

I'm not sure about Horizon Zero Dawn just because it's so open ended (she appears to enjoy games with a more linear path.)

11. MrC4

MrC4 [H]ard|Gawd

Witcher 3 had a great story and gets my vote.

BiH115 likes this.
  12. Nebell

Nebell [H]ard|Gawd

Out of the recommendations here:

God of War is probably your best bet.
    I think Tomb Raider as well although I haven't played the latest games and I'm not sure how amny side quests are there.
    Metro series is also lots of fun. Filled with tension and horror.

While The Witcher 3 is a great game it's definitely not the type of the game she's asking for (no side quests). The Witcher 3 has tons of it and you can easily get lost trying to do everything. Ditto with Horizon (which is also a pretty terrible RPG game in my opinion).
    The Division doesn't have much of a story and is also open world with a bunch of side quests.

13. Puterguru

Puterguru 2[H]4U

Thanks guys. God of War looks pretty awesome.
    Brothers a Tale of 2 Sons looks interesting as well.

I think I am going to get her started with one of those then move on to the next. Probably Metro.

I believe she played one of the Tomb Raider games and finished it. She thought it was okay but nothing special.
    We both tried to get in to Horizon Zero Dawn but... In my opinion the always foraging and having to shoot the metal dinosaurs just wasn't any fun. The Quest were confusing as well as we didn't know which ones we should or had to do. It just ended up being frustrating and not fun and the story really wasn't there.

14. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

If you like always online, and bullet sponge enemies. It's an MMO first.

15. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

This should be first and foremost on the list :)

BiH115 likes this.
  16. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

God of War was the first thing that comes to mind for me.

It’s fairly straightforward, has a good story, and you can skip a lot of the armor customization and grinding.

BiH115 and Viper16 like this.
  17. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

Picked up Titanfall 2 for 4.99 or so on Amazon, not super long but enjoyed it for the cost.

Finally giving ME3 a try now, think it was 6 or 7$ on Origin, other than a few graphic glitches I am enjoying the game. Just at the point where I got my ship so it’s really early in game.

Puterguru likes this.
  18. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

Imo there were not that many side quests in HZD compared to games like the witcher 3, I had great fun with the fights but for the last boss I did have to drop the difficulty as that was insane imo, I did replay the game a 2nd time on the easy difficulty and that required a bit less foraging, even though it is not that bad if you do it a bit every now and then.

T4rd likes this.
  19. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

20. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

The first "Outlast" is fricking amazing. There's no real combat it's mostly running for your life and puzzle solving. Buyer be beware it's pretty scary.

Commander Shepard likes this.
  21. jordan12

jordan12 [H]ardForum Junkie

Looks like God of War is only for the play station.

22. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

You could also give Amnesia: The Dark Descent a try. It's got a lot of action (but not really the 'kill everything' type of action) and a decent story (coming of age tale - sorta).

Make sure you turn the lights off and turn up the volume, game's very atmospheric and plays best with mood lighting.

23. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Commander Shepard likes this.
  24. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch ;)

25. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

"I'm Commander Shepard and the Mass Effect series is my favorite game franchise on the Citadel!"

T4rd, Viper16 and Puterguru like this.
  26. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

27. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

Dragon Age 2 and maybe 3. Much simpler than 1 (Origins) and more stream lined and actiony. Should be right up your wifey's alley.

28. Puterguru

Puterguru 2[H]4U

I still haven't purchased a game for her but will within the next few days. She just finished the entire Uncharted series again.

Any thoughts on Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 for the PS4? She Looooves Disney but, not sure there is much of a story there. With Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out next week I though, all 3 might keep her happy for a while.

29. waderunner

waderunner Gawd

Mirror's Edge, maybe? The story is pretty straight line, from what I remember. And not too much side-questing clutter on the map, as I recall.

30. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

They are great games. The story is pretty complicated. They will keep her busy for a while.

BiH115 likes this.
  31. Lmah2x

Lmah2x Gawd

I haven't played it yet since it's not on PC, but I heard Red Dead Redemption 2 is pretty good.

32. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Compared quite a bit to Uncharted, Its slightly older but its available on PC and digitally I think on xbox one(Id have to go look). Very pretty action and adventure game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enslaved:_Odyssey_to_the_West

"McElroy praised Garland's writing, and compared it favorably to Uncharted 2: Among Thieves."

The Portal Games are also quite good if an atmospheric story is what youre after, Dishonored, Dead Space 1-2. Strictly speaking story heavy action games.

If shes willing to try indie and not so action heavy theres LIMBO, OXENFREE and INSIDE.

I really want to recommend OUTLAST which a strictly action and story game, but it can be shit your pants terrifying. Would not recommend to anyone who panics easily.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    T4rd, Anijuz and memnoch998 like this.
  33. kamxam

kamxam [H]ard|Gawd

May not be what you want but I did enjoy The Wolf among us. Thought it had a good story and a good twist on Fairy Tales.
    Same thing with Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Minus the fairy tale part. lol (Which i'd LOVE to see a new one or a reboot but chances of that are extremely low)
    Dragon's Dogma is good if you like RPG stuff, but the story isn't the most original imho.

34. Kenjiwing

Kenjiwing 2[H]4U

35. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

I loved Wolf Among Us so much I read the entire comic book series it is based on.

termite likes this.
  36. boss99

boss99 2[H]4U

There's not as much combat, but Mirror's Edge has the adventury running and such. Otherwise, Tomb Raider for sure.

37. memnoch998

memnoch998 Limp Gawd

Enslaved is a great choice, as are the new Tomb Raider games. They seem to fit the bill perfectly.

38. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

Wow.. I absolutely loved Horizon Zero Dawn and dunno how you wouldn't like the story of you like anything Sci-Fi like Mass Effect (different setting of course, but futuristic tech mixed with primitive tech is cool too IMO). It was probably my favorite game of 2017.

God of War should definitely be next though. But I'll definitely second Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. That game completely surprised me and you'll definitely love it if you loved the Uncharted series as much as I do as well.

To recommend another great PS4 exclusive that hasn't been mentioned yet: Until Dawn. It's kind of a "Pick your story path" (like Bandersnatch), but its horror/suspense setting is pretty unique in the game realm, as it plays a lot in common horror movie tropes I'm the same genre.

Also, Detroit: Become Human (another PS4 exclusive.. Sony has dominated my game time the past couple years now and deservedly so).

scojer and Denpepe like this.
  39. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

KH is a good series, especially if your a Disney or Final Fantasy nut. I'll probably pick it up if I can catch a sale.

My vote would also go to Horizon Zero Dawn - just a fantastic game all around.

Mass Effect fans would probably like Dragon Age (see it on sale all the time for <$10), and also SWTOR on the PC (the MMO - it's F2P to start with sub options)

Denpepe likes this.
  40. Puterguru

Puterguru 2[H]4U

Just wanted to update you guys. From this thread we picked God of War and OMG, what an AMAZING Game! Both my wife and I are loving it. Just wanted to give a big thank you!

This has been OUR game to play together. I am going to pick something else from this thread for her to play when I am at work.

Viper16, vegeta535, Youn and 4 others like this.