I need advice on new PC hardware please

Overspeed

Limp Gawd
So, my current PC is now 5 years old. E8400, 4GB DDR2, 8800 GTS 512, 1TB 7200 Seagate. Time for an upgrade. Sounds easy...

The options out there today are overwhelming. Sandy this, Ivy that... with more than a couple dozen flavours and speeds of DDR3 and SSDs seem to be something no one can agree on .... ugh.

I've always respected the users on this forum so i'm asking you all for some help choosing some new PC hardware. I'm not looking for a basement budget machine, nor am I looking for something over the top. If 1 is a budget machine and 10 is over the top, i'm looking for something around 7-8 out of 10.

Here is what I'm thinking so far:

CPU: i7 2600K
MB: class ??? brand ???
RAM: 8GB DDR3 - speed ??? brand ???
Storage: stand alone SSD? or Intel HDD and SSD Smart Response?
GPU: best in the $250 - $300 range? single card - non SLI or Crossfire
PS: wattage??? brand ???
Case: Will probably put everything in my spare Antec P182
Sound: Is integrated sound good anough or dedicated Creative card?

Please let me know what you would recommend and why. I am most concerned about quality than that of budget so I will not buy cheap brands.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Good choice on the 2600K -- it's a great CPU and overclocks well

^^ Correct. I've only uses Asus and Asrock mobos and have nothing but good things to say about both of them.. In terms of gpus you'll probably wanna go with something AMD. Even though I'm kind of an Nvidia fan boy, You'll get more VRAM as opposed to getting stuck with 1280mb with anything you'll get from nvidia for 200-300.

i have the asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 mobo and its tight and cheap and has a nice bios

You should ask this question in the General Hardware sub forum, I'll get a mod to move it shortly.

In the mean time, can you answer these questions for us? Asking for Build Help?: ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST

We'll get you all fixed up after we learn a little bit about what your specific needs and purposes are.

Motherboard bradn - Asus (I've gotten good luck with them)
Video Card - 480 or 6950 2GB.
Storage - SDD if you can afford a 120GB or 60GB if you don't have much stuff to install.
Case - If you can get something with better air flow specially if you get a 480.
Ram - 1600 1.5v if you get intel cpu

Back