I need advice for a terminal server.

Blitzrommel

2[H]4U
For my Cisco Lab, I have three routers and three switches -- a 2611 and two 2501 routers, and a Catalyst 2950, 2924XL, and 1924 switch.

I only have three available serial ports amongst the computers that are near the Cisco devices, but I have 6 console cables (2 of them have RS-232 plugs, the other four have RJ-45/RS232 adapters). For ease of management (And so I can do all my lab stuff from one PC) I'd like to have these all plugged into a terminal server. I know little about terminal servers, but I see many go on eBay for cheap -- is this the most feasable way of going about this? What else can I do, besides adding serial ports to a server that's closeby?

knowing Cisco

why use RS232? configure each one for telnet management access and be done with it??

2511 or 2509 will work for a terminal server. The 2511 has 16 async lines and the other has 8 I believe.

plug the async connections (get the octo cables with rj 45 ends) into each routers console port. Configure the lines on the term server for telnet acces.

figgie said:
knowing Cisco

why use RS232? configure each one for telnet management access and be done with it??
I second that. Create a management VLAN, configure the devices to allow telnet from the management VLAN and be done. No need to buy anything.

MorfiusX said:
I second that. Create a management VLAN, configure the devices to allow telnet from the management VLAN and be done. No need to buy anything.
Ok lemee ask you this.

If I configured them to accept telnet from the management/default VLAN, what if I wanted to change the IP address of the routers' interfaces, made a mistake, and couldn't connect to the router? I just want to be able to use the console port, and keep everything off my network (Except the 2924XL, which I won't be using for the lab).

if you change the ip of a router/switch while connected to it, it could cause you to lose your telnet connection (depending on which ip you change).

buy a terminal server (router) then.

UnrealRage said:
if you change the ip of a router/switch while connected to it, it could cause you to lose your telnet connection (depending on which ip you change).

buy a terminal server (router) then.

Yes, thank you. That's why I wanted a terminal server in the first place. :)

Just add a couple of serial ports to the computers. Cheap, easy, and effective.

Back