I need a text editor with a character serach feature...

The Poi

Limp Gawd
I have txt document of a DNA sequence--essentially a continuous series of letters, about 215,000 of them. I'm trying to figure out a way that I can go to a specific charcter number, basically, move the cursor to, say, the 50,000th character in the series. I'm ahving a hell of a time finding something though. I've tried a couple programs that would let me move by "column", but I either couldn't fit everything on one line, or the program would simply crash trying to laod the file. Any ideas?

Vedit (www.vedit.com) will certainly do what you want, although it's overkill and definitely not free. I've been using it since my TRS-80 days...

ya, thats awfully pricey. all i really need to be able to do is jump to a column on an unlimited line.... seems like it should be so simple....

http://www.jbrowse.com/products/axe/

AXE Is a hex editor designed to edit gamesaves and such, but it might work for your purposes. You don't really have to know any hexadecimal conversion methods...every letter or character in a txt file takes up two hex characters, so in your example, you would open the file, use Navigate>Goto... select 'go to decimal offset' and enter 50,000.

On a sidenote, I don't know much about DNA but you can change the number of characters per line in the program, if by chance what you are viewing has a certain number of characters meant to be examined together. Edit>options>defaults.

This'uns free.

Thanks. I've tried crimson--it crashes when trying to open the huge file. I'll give axe a shot!

Back